Yo Yo Quilt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yo Yo Quilt

Has anyone made a yo yo quilt? I started to making the yo yo off and on over the last few years. I am not sure what kind of lay out to do with the yo yo's? And if you would put a backing on a yo yo quilt? Can anyone help me???

Re: Yo Yo Quilt

Most of the yo-yos I have seen have been stitched to a backing. Jenny has a tutorial where she shows how to make them and hers are appliqued to a backing . . . http://www.youtube.com/user/Missouri.../0/qnkxY5iD8H4

Granted, this is NOT a quilt top . . . But I would definitely put my yo-yos on a backing, then assemble the quilt with batting and a backing.
    Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
    it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Comment

Lynne--I just got the June 20011 issue of American Patchwork Quilting magazine yesterday in the mail. On the cover is a brightly colored yo-yo quilt with a turquoise background. It was designed by Terry Atkinson and is rated as a beginner's quilt. It looks very easy to put together, after you make 409 yo-yos! Check out this magazine and take a peek. Hope that helps! SuzyQue
      PS----years ago I made yo-yo curtains for my daughter's bedroom. I had a great thought last night of turning those into a smaller sized quilt like this. They are light pink and baby blue, so I think it would be an adorable baby quilt. Surely someday she will have a daughter to share this with.

Comment

I am in the works of making a yo yo quilt too. I saw one on a show depicting the 1940's one time and it was unbacked and looked so nice so I am having a delema as well regarding backing it or not. But first I have to get the yo yos done and that is going to take a while!
        sigpic
        Old quilters never die, they just go batty!

Your Canadian quilting sister, Shauna

Comment

A yo yo quilt is on my To Do Project List. I guess I will get things together and while I'm sitting at the hospital waiting on my third grandson to be born I will do yo yo's of all sizes (s,m,l, & xl). I'm curious to see how many I can get done in a day. I have to wait until Jackson decides to get here (any day now) so I can get started. (At least that's my excuse). Good Luck.

P.S. I'm also going to make the yo yo doll's and animals as well.

Lynne Leavell

Comment

The first quilt I ever made was a yo yo coverlet that my Granny taught me to do. I don't know what ever became of it. That was about 45 years ago. My granny taught me how to make do, and I don't know where she got that old satin stuff but I remember it was a royal purple. Our town was a big mill town back in the day and I am sure it came from one of the mills.

My sis and I both started another yo yo last fall. It will probably take me the rest of my life to finish. I have bags of yoyo's already. fun to do while sitting and watching the tube with hubs. When I had a few big bags I thought, well, I will sew these up and be half way done. WRONG. I have a queen bed and it covers about a quarter of it. It will be very pretty when done, though.
            Sewing mends the soul.
            sigpic

Do the math; count your blessings
            Laughing is good exercise. It's like jogging on the inside.

http://pinterest.com/vintageprims/boards/ Unless we are creating we are not fully alive
            ~ Madeleine L'Engle

Comment

I've never made or even seen a yo yo quilt I know what a yo yo is but never saw them actually sewn into a quilt.
              You all teach me something new each day. Thank you
              ~~ Hugs and Blessings,
              Mia

...quilters come with strings attached
              (boy aint that the darn truth !!)

Comment

Thank you everyone!! I did watch the tutorial. The vidoe did give me a few idea's to work with. As for the magazine I will have to take a look at it the next time I am in the store. 400 plus that will take forever. I will still look at the magazine. I do have patterns to make a yo yo bear and clown. The pattern have been on my to do list for a few years.

Also My huband's Aunt who was in her 90's when she past away. She made yo yo's when she was young. When the family want through all her fabric they found a small bag of yo yo's. Since I was making yo yo's at the time. Guess who got them. I have set them aside for now.

Mia,
                Yo Yo's are easy and fun to make including if you buy the clover template. I have a bag few of them of different sizes.

Comment

I just got that magazine in the mail today and skimmed through the directions for that quilt. It seems that those yo-yo's are attached one at a time onto the background fabric. That would seem to take me forever!

Hugs,
                  http://www.flickr.com/photos/quiltsbytrish
                  http://quiltdreaming.blogspot.com
                  http://pinterest.com/TrishLapp

What if you woke up today and the only things you had were the things you thanked God for yesterday? :icon_hug:quilting trish

Comment

I bought the magazine today. I love the look of the yo yo quilt. I was wondering do you think the quilt would look the same? If I made yo yo quilt in the magazine a throw? I have a little over a 100 yo yo done now. If I make a 100 more do you think it would be enough?

Comment

YO YO Quilt?? Not in my lifetime!!!! I am a patient person but they would drive me bonkers!! Not worth the trouble. I have the same magazine Picture is pretty but nope. I'm with Trish on this one.
                      Home, where each lives for the others and all live for God! ><(((((o>

Comment

My mom and 2 of her sisters, as well as me and my sister we all made yo yo's for a wedding present for my cousin. We made thousands, we used scraps etc and then we would meet and mix all of ours together. We then sewed them into squares with no pattern, and then sewed thoses squares into rows etc. We had a great time doing it, I just wish we had sewed it to a backing, it gives the quilt much more stability. We made a king size quilt. I looked really great when it was finished. But like I said I would sew them to a backing.
                        Hope this helps
                        :icon_wave: Sunny

Blog: www.threesmallfryprimitives.blogspot.com

Facebook: Threesmallfry Primitives

Comment

I have not worked with yo yo's yet but I do have a few of the clover templates to play with.

Question: Instead of attaching to a backing would you be able to attach them and fill in the spaces with yo yo's on top (like layering). It would be more stable it seems to me but it would take alot more yo yo's. Like I said, I have never worked with them but as I was reading your post that is the vision I had.

Cheri

Comment

Originally posted by janluna View Post
                            YO YO Quilt?? Not in my lifetime!!!! I am a patient person but they would drive me bonkers!! Not worth the trouble. I have the same magazine Picture is pretty but nope. I'm with Trish on this one.
                            I'm with you too! my limited experience with yo-yos came many years ago when DD thought she wanted to make a yo-yo doll. we did not get far.
                            “What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world, is and remains immortal.”

― Albert Pine

Comment

I don't think I'd every have the patience to do a yo you quilt.
                              ;)Nancy

I got a sewing machine for my husband. Good trade, huh!?!

Comment

Working...
                              X