Yipes! That never happened before!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yipes! That never happened before!

While I was sewing this evening, I took my foot off the pedal, and my machine continued to run, as though it were self-propelled like a lawn mower or a car... Needle moved very slowly, but I had to actually turn the machine off to get it to stop. Then it was fine for a few minutes and did it again. Anybody out there ever had that happen? Machine is a Husqvarna Viking 540 Lily, purchased in 1997; never had a problem with it at all in all the years I've had it.

Suggestions as to what is going on? How to fix? Sure do hope I don't need a new pedal. Thanks in advance for any help!

Re: Yipes! That never happened before!

Yes, it's your foot controller, may be time for a new one.

Comment

I had this happen once. The foot controller had moved forward and was caught under the controller.

Comment

My machine did something similar earlier in the year. It would sew at warp speed if I pressed the foot pedal and then later it might sew extremely slow. Took it in to have it checked and there was a short in the foot pedal and had to replace it.
        "I'm putting together a list of 100 reasons why I am NOT relentless!" - Sue Heck, The Middle

Leonard: For God's sake, Sheldon, do I have to hold up a sarcasm sign every time I open my mouth?
        Sheldon (intrigued): You have a sarcasm sign?

Comment

I would check first to see if something had slid under it that you can't see. Otherwise afraid it might be time for new foot pedal.

Kind of weird tho. Good luck.

Comment

Boy that would scare me!! *cue twilight zone muzak* Had mine get stuck under something and keep going but sounds like good advice from everyone on a new foot controller - Hope it's not horribly expensive!

Debbie
            Debbie and the cats KayCee (16), Lucky Streak (11), and gods gift Sandia (8)

RIP Bonnie (18) December 2014 We had 10 loving years before you went to see your previous Meow-Mom - tell her I love you too!

Spread Sunshine with every thought, word and deed.

Comment

Mine was doing that a while back. My husband took it apart and, lo and behold, it was FILLED with dust and enough hair to make a wig! I suggest taking it apart and cleaning it out. Mine's been working like new since DH did this for me.
              Tenacity: The quality or fact of being very determined; determination.

Comment

Just had that happen to my Singer in July. Took it to be service. Turns out foot pedal was shot. Needed a new one. Bought a new foot pedal and hubby bought me a Janome too, lol.

Debbie, I know what you mean. The first time it happened, I had to look to make sure the kids were not doing a prank. I jumped. I didn't squeal cause squealing is for piggies, but I may have whoa-ed, lol.
                "Trust in The Lord with all your heart and do not lean on your own understanding. In everything you do acknowledge Him and He will direct your path." Proverbs 3:5,6

Come Join the Fun
                Fall Mug Rug Swap & Secret Santa 2013
                Patriotic Christmas Stocking

Comment

Mine did that yesterday!!
                  Shirley aka buckeyequilter
                  I work to support a sewing habit that I don't have time for, because I work!

Comment

I did not know you could clean them! For sure checking on this, there has to be carpet dust or something in there? Glad I do not let my cats in the sewing room, I would have blamed them too (or the kids playing a prank haha). Thanks re: looking to see if only cleaning is needed!
                    Debbie and the cats KayCee (16), Lucky Streak (11), and gods gift Sandia (8)

RIP Bonnie (18) December 2014 We had 10 loving years before you went to see your previous Meow-Mom - tell her I love you too!

Spread Sunshine with every thought, word and deed.

Comment

Originally posted by cindirae View Post
                      Mine was doing that a while back. My husband took it apart and, lo and behold, it was FILLED with dust and enough hair to make a wig! I suggest taking it apart and cleaning it out. Mine's been working like new since DH did this for me.
                      This happened to me, earlier this year. When we blew it clean with an air compressor, a tiny rubber band flew out! I was good for a bit, but ultimately had to replace.
                      I wish you luck, my friend!
                      I really need to get off the exclamation point.
                      It may give people the idea that I'm bright and cheerful all the time....

Comment

CLEAN IT, CLEAN IT, CLEAN IT.

A year or so ago there was a similar thread here and the result from opening the controller? A CAT WHISKER . . .

Yes, dust and a stray thread or hair can find the way through and cause enough havoc. Also getting the edge 'stuck' on something close can cause the same issues.

And yes, they can go 'bad'.
                        Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
                        it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Comment

The poor thing's just plain worn out!!
                          Linda

Comment

I had a foot controller go out on a 70's Kenmore a few years ago and finding one locally was either not going to happen or be very expensive. I ended up getting one very cheaply on e-bay and my DH installed it easily. I probably could have done it myself but he was handy and wanted to help.

Comment

I have just had to buy a foot controller and it was £80.00. I have stop/start button on my machine but prefer to use the pedal in some instances.

Comment

Working...
                              X