Grandmother's Fan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grandmother's Fan

Hi My sweet QDs ... do you have time to answer my latest question ... please.

I want to make a Grandmother's Fan quilt and I'm unsure how large the fan blades should be if I plan to use a 10" square as the background...

Thanks so much .... I always appreciate your help.
    ~~ Hugs and Blessings,
    Mia

...quilters come with strings attached
    (boy aint that the darn truth !!)

Re: Grandmother's Fan

i looked on quilterscache, they have one on a 12" block. The fan pieces look to be 6". So 5" would be about right on a 10" block i think.
    “What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world, is and remains immortal.”

― Albert Pine

Comment

We just finished the fan block swap. On a 10 inch sq. we used a 7.5 inch blade. If you use a scant 1/4 inch seam you can get 5 blades on a 10 inch block with a 3.5 inch 1/4 circle. We made a 7 inch circle and cut it in quarters. That makes a 3.5 1/4 inch circle for the base of the blades. Hope this helps.
      Home, where each lives for the others and all live for God! ><(((((o>

Comment

By the way this was a fun, easy block to do. We have pictures of some of the blocks on the black and white block swap. You would have to join that swap to see the pictures. We are all done with the swap though. But it would let you see how nice they looked. Pictures don't do it justice. It turned out really well. We used the Easy Dresden ruler. It goes from a 1 inch blade to an 8 inch blade. So you can pick out what you want. Enjoy it. It was a fun block to do. Hugs, Jan
        Last edited by janluna; March 29, 2011, 05:44 PM.

Comment

I like the outcome of the blocks we made for the Swap. They fit nicely on the block we did. That 's what I'd do again with the EZ ruler. BTW, it is on sale at MSQC.

Comment

I just joined the swap to check out the photos! They are awesome gals!

Hugs,
            http://www.flickr.com/photos/quiltsbytrish
            http://quiltdreaming.blogspot.com
            http://pinterest.com/TrishLapp

What if you woke up today and the only things you had were the things you thanked God for yesterday? :icon_hug:quilting trish

Comment

Thanks Trish. It was fun to do. Hugs, Jan

Comment

Thanks so much Jan....... and everyone else too. I'm going to join and look. I have the dresden ruler from MSQC and I've made a few plates but this will be my first fan.
                ~~ Hugs and Blessings,
                Mia

...quilters come with strings attached
                (boy aint that the darn truth !!)

Comment

Working...
                X