Muslin question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Muslin question

Is muslin suppose to be see-through? I got some over the internet and it looks like cheesecloth it is so thin. I was planning on using it for my quilting but this fabric I have is unacceptable to me.

I had heard that some people use it for backing a quilt. Do they use this quality? Are there differing qualities to muslin?

Anyway, I had never used muslin before and was just wondering what you wise-ones had to say.
    Thanks!
    Mary :icon_hi:

Love is the thread that mends worn hearts.

Re: Muslin question

I'm in Australia so probably not a lot of help, I think your muslin is similar to our calico or homespun and no, it very definitely shouldn't be see through, don't put that anywhere near your quilt. Even in our calico there are different grades of quality, the type you would want to use for quilting should be no less substantial than your cotton quilting material. I suppose when it comes to internet buying the term 'buyer beware' is a good one to remember.
    Lynn

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain" Anonymous.

Comment

There are many grades of muslin. some are thin and flimsy but you can find others that are very nice, they do make a nice backing. I sometimes buy the wide width when it's on sale to use a backing for my baby quilts. You can usually find in bleached and unbleached. One of the reasons i hesitate to buy online is that I like to feel the fabric. Others swear by certain online sites
      “What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world, is and remains immortal.”

― Albert Pine

Comment

Thanks for the replies. I did order the 108" and it was on sale I just thought muslin was muslin and I couldn't believe anyone would use this for a quilt backing. I'll know better next time and buy some I can see and feel.

Comment

Hopefully, you'll find another use for your purchase. Definitely not something to use for quilts.
          Goodbye Europe! Hello California! Home sweet home.

Comment

You could use it for a lining of a bag or lining of a apron.
            Saundra

May your troubles be less and your blessings be more and nothing but happiness come through your door! God bless the USA!:icon_wave:

Comment

Maybe wash and dry it and use as the foundation for a strip quilt?
              “What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world, is and remains immortal.”

― Albert Pine

Comment

Some sites will let you return your purchases if you are not satisfied with the quality of the product. I'd try that. No sense in having a wad of fabric sitting around that you can't use. If you can't, then use it for testing new patterns. You can mock up a block or a garment with that to see how well they go together. If you make a mistake, no harm done to your good fabric! Linings would also be a good choice for it.
                I suppose you could use it as the bottom for foundation piecing. I haven't done that before, but it might work. If you can see through it, you could transfer the pattern to it with little trouble.
                Be who you are and say what you feel
                because those who mind don't matter,
                and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss

http://www.toggpine.wordpress.com

Comment

Thanks for all of your ideas. Alas, it is too late to return, but you all have given me lots of great ideas for uses.

Comment

Working...
                  X