Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: can i make my own jelly roll

Originally posted by JCY View Post
    Good Broncos colors! All that orange. You need some lighter colors in there for contrast, IMO. Definitely, not the pink.
    More orange? I couldn't believe I had this many in the first place. I'll take donations. lol
    🌺 Lorie

Comment

A jelly roll is better for me because it has a such a wide variety of fabrics. If I bought 6 half yard cuts and stripped them, I'd have the strips for a jelly roll, but it would only be 6 different fabrics, not the 20 or so I get in a precut. If I bought and stripped 20 half yard cuts, I'd have enough strips and variety for 3+ jelly rolls. That would be good if I wanted to make a large quilt.

It just depends on what you need.

Comment

Original date of this post March 27th, 2011
        K is for Karen 😊​..................
        Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
        T - is it TRUE?
        H - is it HELPFUL?
        I - is it INSPIRING?
        N - is it NECESSARY?
        K - is it KIND?

Comment

I usually cut my own solid Jelly Rolls as the Solids are cheaper than the prints by the yard. But, when I have been able to grab one up on the DD I do that.

I have the June Taylor and have it marked at 2.5 specifically for Jelly Roll strips. I plan to mark it again for Honey Buns.

Comment

Originally posted by K. McEuen View Post
            Seriously? Well, I have a really hideous head cold.. not thinking clearly. Trouble maker.

Comment

"BTW, I got a Moda layer cake with a short cut piece in it--whaaaa! I want 42 full cut pieces!"

Contact Moda, I had a layer cake that had only half of one piece. They quickly and gladly sent me a replacement layer cake.

Comment

I love my Accuquilt to cut my 21/2" strips, so accurate, the quilts I make tend to be strip patterns, Jelly Rolls here are rather expensive.

Comment

Originally posted by K. McEuen View Post
                  post may be old, but the questions are eternal

It was odd, because just this week my daughter was asking about the jelly rolls and charm packs I brought to her house. Not familiar with fabric, I had to teach her a bit about fabric collections.

Comment

Originally posted by Hulamoon View Post
                    I just love charm packs! But I came across something I want to make and had it all in my stash. If you have a lot of one color it will match no matter where it came from.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]123769[/ATTACH]

20 orange fabrics! Obsessive maybe? lol
                    Aloha HulaMoon, its Carol from Ewa, I have been working and dragging out all my orange fabrics, what a coincidence, yeah for orange!!!

Comment

Originally posted by surfergirl View Post
                      Aloha HulaMoon, its Carol from Ewa, I have been working and dragging out all my orange fabrics, what a coincidence, yeah for orange!!!
                      Such a fun color to work with isn't it!
                      🌺 Lorie

Comment

Not long ago, I went to Hancock fabric and bought a bunch of yardage in 10 inch witdth. I have been saving charm packs that I have gotten from the daily deal or that I have bought on sale to fill in an order (like to spend enough to get a Golden Ticket). Anyway, today, I spent 7 hours cutting fabric for an Alter Ego quilt out of my yardage and using my odds and ends for the 4 squares. If you count your time for anything, layer cakes would have been an absolute bargain.
                        Walk in peace with the Lord by your side.
                        Terry

Comment

be careful buying 1/4 yard cuts and expecting to get three 2 1/2" strips. A few years ago I bought several 1/4 yard cuts of Christmas fabric and was feeling pretty good about it. But, the lady cutting the fabric did not do a good job. The elbows were so bad that I only got one good cut from each fabric. That's a lot of waste!
                          Vonnie

Comment

Originally posted by Vonnie View Post
                            be careful buying 1/4 yard cuts and expecting to get three 2 1/2" strips. A few years ago I bought several 1/4 yard cuts of Christmas fabric and was feeling pretty good about it. But, the lady cutting the fabric did not do a good job. The elbows were so bad that I only got one good cut from each fabric. That's a lot of waste!
                            Regardless of the amount you are cutting, if if isn't perfectly even (straight of grain) you will get elbows. Very rarely does fabric come off of bolts straight...it is up to us, the final cutters, to make sure it is straight. The easiest way to do that, is fold in half, selvege to selvege and slide right or left until it is hanging straight. (completely even at the bottom with no waves). Then when you cut, there won't be any elbows.
                            Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......
                            sigpic

Comment

Working...
                            X