can i make my own jelly roll

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: can i make my own jelly roll

I took my Accu Go to my daughters house one time and used the 2 1/2 in strip cutter and cut fabric all afternoon...don't know how many I cut but was afraid I would cut right thru the top board...haven't yet and I have cut many strips on that machine...absolutely love it and it's ideal for cutting jelly rolls....of course my jelly rolls look very scrappy!

Comment

I make my jelly rolls with my Accuquilt Go and my 2 1/2 inch strip die. Fast, easy and accurate!
      TODAY IS A GOOD DAY...TO HAVE A GOOD DAY...Genny

Comment

Originally posted by Jean Sewing Machine View Post
        You can get 7 strips out of a half yard of fabric with 1/2" waste. You can then purchase 6 different fabrics and get 42 strips out of the 6 half yard pieces. If you want more variety, remember to purchase yardage to accomodate 2-1/2" wide strips with minimum waste. 1/4 yard(9") would only give yot it bigger. Look at my albums, I 've made a bunch of different size Jelly roll quilts.
        Jean...have you done the math as to which is cheaper..buying pre-cut or cutting your own?
        Cheri

www.fabricandmemories.blogspot.com

Comment

Thank you so much.
          I am actually wanting to make jelly rolls for my kids to practice the "quilt as you go" method for placemats and stuff for Christmas gifts and then go larger for Linus quilts!

They are all 8yrs. and younger, so I don't trust them with my rotary cutter and have found jelly rolls to be so expensive at the stores... I thought I could make some smaller ones from fabrics they choose!

Comment

Originally posted by coffeebreak View Post
            Jean...have you done the math as to which is cheaper..buying pre-cut or cutting your own?
            Regular prices jelly roll are $39 for 40 strips, it comes to aboutb3 yards of febric. That would be about $13 per yard. Is your fabric cheaper than that? It would have to be really primo fabric for me to spend that much per yard. You pay for the convenience in any precut. Tht's why the good Daily Deals are such a gret buy.

Comment

Thanks!
              I want to know the least expensive way to make Jelly rolls! I want my kids to make some baby quilts for a crisis pregnancy center and for family shelters ( since my kids are below the minimum age to actually volunteer time at the shelters) and because my kids are young ( 8, 6, & 4), I don't want to spend lots of money and I want them to choose the fabrics!
              My prbolem is that I keep getting these 50% off coupons in the mail, but if we are choosing several different fabrics, I need that many coupons!!
              If any of you don't like Joanns. send your 50% off coupons to me! LOL!

Comment

Originally posted by Jean Sewing Machine View Post
                BTW, I got a Moda layer cake with a short cut piece in it--whaaaa! I want 42 full cut pieces!
                Ouch! From the prices I have seen of Moda (new to all of this) I would be feeling some kind of way too. I am thinking this "hobby" may not be for the poor like myself. Then, what brings me back is thinking of how quilting was done "back in the day". There were no special rulers, pens, holders, blah, blah, blah. THAT'S what endeared me to quilting simple old fabric, scissors, and thread. But, I am getting ahead of myself.

Yes, you should get every piece paid for when paying those prices.
                sigpic

http://www.sewlyricallyvintage.wordpress.com

"Being a great quilter is 5% talent and 95% pushing yourself away from the internet!" ~ Angel Bear

Comment

Well, you pay for convenience when you buy jelly roll packs. Of course you can cut your own, but I would definitely invest in a ruler, mat, and rotary cutter if you want to make good jelly roll strips. I line up my folded edge on one of the vertical lines of my mat, then cut/trim off the raw edge along one of the horizontal edges. Then measure up 2-1/2" and cut your second horizontal cut. Then you have a jelly roll strip.

Comment

I am very new to quilting and think that if you have a lot of fabric sitting there not being used (left overs from other projects) why not cut them up into strips and put them in your jelly roll or other stash. My first favourite shop here in Australia is Spotlight as they have a huge selection of fabrics you could buy 1/2 metre of fabric here and there, cut them up and add them to your stash. So as jelly rolls here are anywhere from $40 to $80 per roll it is going to be worth my while making my own as fabrics on special will suffice

Comment

Yes of course you can make your own jelly rolls. Maybe you could even go to a local thrift store if you have them there, and buy up some not so old and faded sheets and pillow cases. What a wonderful idea for your children to do this!! Of course you would not want to use the expensive jelly rolls for that! Is it possible for you to post a wanted ad in your local newspaper or church bulletin that you would happily accept any donations of fabric for this purpose? Good luck and I hope you are successful at finding some material to make those charity quilts.
                      Last edited by jjkaiser; January 4, 2016, 10:20 PM.

Comment

I just love charm packs! But I came across something I want to make and had it all in my stash. If you have a lot of one color it will match no matter where it came from.

20 orange fabrics.JPG

20 orange fabrics! Obsessive maybe? lol
                        🌺 Lorie

Comment

I love orange! But you know that pink one doesn't belong. Sorry could not resist saying that!

Comment

Originally posted by jjkaiser View Post
                            I love orange! But you know that pink one doesn't belong. Sorry could not resist saying that!
                            Funny you noticed that. I waited all day for my battery to charge so I could take a pic for the I want to make this group. I thought should I turn that fabric the right way? lol
                            🌺 Lorie

Comment

Good Broncos colors! All that orange. You need some lighter colors in there for contrast, IMO. Definitely, not the pink.

Comment

Originally posted by mamaforhim View Post
                                Thanks!
                                I want to know the least expensive way to make Jelly rolls! I want my kids to make some baby quilts for a crisis pregnancy center and for family shelters ( since my kids are below the minimum age to actually volunteer time at the shelters) and because my kids are young ( 8, 6, & 4), I don't want to spend lots of money and I want them to choose the fabrics!
                                My prbolem is that I keep getting these 50% off coupons in the mail, but if we are choosing several different fabrics, I need that many coupons!!
                                If any of you don't like Joanns. send your 50% off coupons to me! LOL!
                                Download the app for Joann's. You can use the coupon multiple times. Of course, Still only once per visit.

Comment

Working...
                                X