Starch???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starch???

While reading Mia's thread regarding mini irons I saw one comment indicating that the starch resided by the regular ironing board - which prompts my question.....am I supposed to be spray starching my pieces after they are together? Oh no.........I finished my first official quilt top (lap size) and I didn't starch anything!!!!

Ok - it's my first so boo-boos allowed, but going forward, please tell me when/why I starch. Thanks in advance for sharing your knowledge.

Tami

Re: Starch???

you don't have to use starch. it is a personal preference. some use it some don't. i will usually use it if I am working with cheaper fabric and I use it before i cut my fabric
    Patrice

Comment

I like to use it when I am pressing over my edges. It makes a nice sharp crease and helps me piece more neatly. Especially if my fabric is a bit stretchy. But no one NEEDS to use it....... And actually I use Best Press not real starch.

Comment

You can starch but it's better if you use the Best press sizing. The starch has sugar in it and when you store your quilt it will call silver fish bugs which will eat your quilt. It doesn't seem to happen with the best press. Hugs, Jan L
        Home, where each lives for the others and all live for God! ><(((((o>

Comment

Originally posted by Patrice View Post
          I use it before i cut my fabric
          Why? Does it help keep the fabric in place (no slipping)?
          ;)Nancy

I got a sewing machine for my husband. Good trade, huh!?!

Comment

no its just if you want a nice crisp feel before you start cutting or like leigh said if you have stretchy fabric it helps keep it in place. actually I probably use it more after my blocks are done and before I sew them together. I will starch them and then square them all up and make sure they are all the same size and then sew them together. Jan thanks for the tip about the silverfish. I will not be using it anymore. Gonna have to find this Best press i guess. Can you find it in the grocery store?
            Patrice

Comment

Thanks to everybody! I saw the Best press (I think) at my Hancocks - so I will invest in some of that next time I am there!

Comment

Hi Patrice....... I've had a bit of a problem finding Best Press ( and I agree it's excellent......and comes in many fragrances too... yum). I finally found it at my LQS.

Hugs
                Mia
                ~~ Hugs and Blessings,
                Mia

...quilters come with strings attached
                (boy aint that the darn truth !!)

Comment

It can really help if you're sewing seams on the bias to stop them distorting.
                  Quilting through the dull times
                  northstarquilting.blogspot.com

Comment

FYI....Joann Fabrics sells it on line. Just ordered a gallon and used my 40% coupon. Great deal!

Comment

I was at Hancocks and bought some Lavender Best Press - will be trying it on the next project. Thanks for all your suggestions and advice - and good to know that I can get refills at Joann's - love those coupons!!!!!

Comment

Was just at JoAnn's. Hoping to get some - guess what - they don't have it in the store.
                        ;)Nancy

I got a sewing machine for my husband. Good trade, huh!?!

Comment

I think MSQC has in the store , why not order it when you order the next daily deal? Save on postage. Sam
                          Saundra

May your troubles be less and your blessings be more and nothing but happiness come through your door! God bless the USA!:icon_wave:

Comment

Working...
                          X