Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do you use a mini iron?

I just saw mini irons at JoAnn's.

Do any of you sweet QDs use one? (qd = quilting divas)

Hugs
    Mia
    ~~ Hugs and Blessings,
    Mia

...quilters come with strings attached
    (boy aint that the darn truth !!)

Re: Do you use a mini iron?

I was ironing last night and really thought about how useful it could be, but I don't have one. I'm curious, too!
    Lin

Comment

I hear they are great for small pieces - like in applique. Since I don't do applique and need to get off my hiney to do some, maybe I'll invest in one someday.

Hugs,
      http://www.flickr.com/photos/quiltsbytrish
      http://quiltdreaming.blogspot.com
      http://pinterest.com/TrishLapp

What if you woke up today and the only things you had were the things you thanked God for yesterday? :icon_hug:quilting trish

Comment

which mini iron are you refering to? the one that looks like a soldering iron w/a iron shape at the end or a iron that is a true mini. have tried both, the soldering iron is awkward for me to use, arthritic hands, and the mini's cord gets in the way and comes unplugged. the mini is almost too lightweight,,,the cord outweighs it. had high hopes

Comment

I have both types. The soldering iron shape works OK but I usually just use my regular iron. I tend to knock it off the little table I use as an ironing board near my machine. the mini one, disappointed in it. the cord does not stay plugged in and seems to tip easily. I think if I ever get a chance to take a class somewhere either would be handy but right now that's not happening.
          “What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world, is and remains immortal.”

― Albert Pine

Comment

I have the Dritz Petite Press. I like it more then the ones that look like a soldering iron. The Petite Press is wonderful for pressing seams on blocks.
            Suzette

Comment

Thanks everyone,.......... I asked because I THINK .... don't know but think.....I'm making my blocks and strip sets wonky from the way I iron. I cannot imagine another reason why I sew two fabrics together and get a bit of distortion. Perhaps that should have been my original question. Thanks for any help you can offer.

Hugggs
              Mia
              ~~ Hugs and Blessings,
              Mia

Comment

Mia, I have three (4) mini irons that I use (depending on which sewing station I'm sitting at). I have one that definitely uses steam that is 'hotwired' so there's no problem with it coming unplugged - BUT my foggy mind doesn't remember where I bought it. I have one from Jo-Ann's which is the same brand as the one I bought from MSQC . . . one of those is fine and one had the cord pop off all the time. Solution? I plugged it in and took a pair of needle-point pliers and 'crimped' gently on the connection. Problem solved. My other 'mini' is a travel iron that I paid .99 cents for 'brand new'. It is much easier for me to sit at my machine, stitch a seam, press, stitch the next part, press . . .

All that being said 1) I only have the little ones that 'look' like regular irons - not the little 'branding iron' shaped ones; 2) I actually find myself getting up and using the regular iron because I need the EXERCISE . . . and that's where my spray starch resides . . .

I'd say it is definitely a personal preference. The minis I have cost less than $10 each . . . go for it. You'd spend more than that at McDonalds and wouldn't have anything beautiful to show.
                Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
                it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Comment

I would have something to show for it.... but it sure wouldn't be beautiful Sandy....... thanks honey for your advice....it really does help
                  Huggg
                  ~~ Hugs and Blessings,
                  Mia

Comment

I received a clover mini for Christmas a few years ago. Haven't used it yet. I am afraid I'll iron my own fingers or some thing. I suppose I should get it out of the package and give it a try before my sister finds it still lurking in the original packaging and blows a gasket. I need to clarify that I did not ask for it as a gift. Therefore I do not feel so guilty about not using it yet.
                    Thanks for sharing your views on the mini-irons though. I have thought about the mini ones that actually look like irons. I guess I'll stick with my full sized one for now.
                    Be who you are and say what you feel
                    because those who mind don't matter,
                    and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss

http://www.toggpine.wordpress.com

Comment

Originally posted by toggpine View Post
                      I need to clarify that I did not ask for it as a gift. Therefore I do not feel so guilty about not using it yet.
                      Thanks for sharing your views on the mini-irons though. I have thought about the mini ones that actually look like irons. I guess I'll stick with my full sized one for now.
                      I really like your thinking - just don't drop it on your toe!!!
                      Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
                      it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Comment

I just use a regular iron but I sew in a small space and don't want any more clutter than I already have. I suppose if someone gave me a gift of one I might use it but I wouldn't go buy one.
                        Re - your wonky blocks...are you using steam or dry pressing it. do you press to set the seam first? Starch is my best friend but I have to be careful of moving the iron around....I try to just press.
                        Good luck sweetie!
                        Patti
                        Patti
                        "Like" me on Facebook @ Sweet Cherry Quilting to help spread the love of all things crafty and quilted!

Comment

I'm glad you asked that question. I've been thinking about getting a small iron too.
                          about wonky blocks...I found out (the hard way) that everything (especially anything on the bias) stretches REALLY easily when it is
                          'hot off the presses' It seems to help a bit if I let things cool a bit before lifting.
                          If at first you DO succeed, try not to look so surprised.

Comment

I bought one of those mini irons and it wouldn't stay plugged into the iron and it didn't get hot enough to mkae any difference. I took it back to Joann's - no problem.

Comment

I have both the mini from Joanns and the soldering iron one and I like them both. Mine doesn't come unplugged anymore from Joanns cause I did what Sandy did. Great minds and all that. Anyway they are both great! Hugs, Jan L
                              Home, where each lives for the others and all live for God! ><(((((o>

Comment

Working...
                              X