X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mia
    replied
    Re: Rag Quilt Batting Question

The clerk is right..... you'd need to wash the flannel before cutting. I know it will be lovely....... have fun

Leave a comment:

• Loonwatcher
    replied

Sandy & Rebecca, thanks for the encouragement. I'm pretty jazzed about it right now and I've spent allot on fabric so I'm feeling good about getting it done. Gina - I'm using fleece, not flannel but thanks for the advice because I'm planning some flannel projects for the future.

The fleece I was able to get wasn't really prints I would hope for so now I'm thinking of not doing a rag but doing a patchwork top with a simpler (larger pieces) back; maybe even one fabric. It's a design that's evolving. We'll see when I can spread it all out and get a look at it.

Leave a comment:

• rebeccas-sewing
    replied

Was thinking the exact same thing. Then I saw your post, Sandy! It's not "if" but "when I finish it!!! Right!!!

Leave a comment:

• ginampls
    replied

just remember to wash and dry flannel twice... as to shrinkage... it will shrink...

Leave a comment:

• Sandy Navas
    replied

Originally posted by Loonwatcher View Post
    I'll keep you posted and add a pictures if I ever get it done.
    What is this . . . 'if I ever get it done . . .

Your mantra for the next week: "I WILL DO THIS, I WILL DO THIS, I WILL DO THIS, I WILL GET IT DONE."

Leave a comment:

• Loonwatcher
    replied

Went to JoAnn's. They didn't have enough colors that I like on sale but I did get some. I considered doing fleece one side and flannel on the other but the clerk said flannel would shrink and fleece wouldn't so I didn't want to risk it. I'll keep you posted and add a pictures if I ever get it done.

Leave a comment:

• Mia
    replied

I'll chime in with one more opinion. I absolutely agree with the girls about adding either batting or another sandwiched layer. I've made some rag quilts also and either of those with the fleece would be extremely warm. Since JoAnn's also has flannel on sale... you might want to consider using one layer of fleece and a coordinating layer of flannel because you said your son is a 'sweat box'. Just a thought but I'm sure it will be wonderful either way. Please show us your finished product?

Hugs
    Mia

Leave a comment:

• mrswindy4
    replied

I made my son's girlfriend a rag quilt and I did use batting. I dont remember the name of it, but it was a real thin cotton. I used flannel on the top and bottom.
    The quilt was "snuggly soft" as the gf put it. It was warm, but not heavy....she loves it! She took it to the hospital with her when she had surgery on her knee and she takes it to the theater with her so she can get all cozy while watching movies...lol

Leave a comment:

• JVO
    replied

I would not use the batting either, I think even two layers of flannel would be enough. But I did do one quit with the batting because the girl I made the quilt for was always cold, so now se has a quilt that keeps her warm. And it is one less thing to cut if you do not use the batting.

Leave a comment:

• LynneLeavell
    replied

Connie - I have made rag quilts using flannel as well. I have made one with and one without batting. I prefer to use the batting in between my squares and I cut a little bit smaller. But it is all personal preferance. If you are using fleece I wouldn't put anything in between the squares it does get warm using flannel.

Lynne Leavell

Leave a comment:

• Connie Chamberlain
    replied

I think i would use fleece for a backing with the rag top,since the fleece is on sale.Connie C

Leave a comment:

• Sewbee
    replied

Nancy I haven't used fleece for a rag quilt before but I do use flannel which works very well. I use a square of flannel as batting between a top and bottom flannel square. If you cut the batting square slightly smaller it will make clipping your seam easier but I actually prefer the finished look of a thicker ragged effect so I make my batting the same size as the other squares. You can also make the batting square out of a contrasting color which will show in the ragged edge.

Are you planning for your quilt top and back to both be fleece or one side fabric and one side fleece? Fleece is quite a bit thicker than flannel so making a 3 layer sandwich might be harder to work with in fleece. I think Sandy is right about not needing a batting in that case.

Leave a comment:

• Loonwatcher
    replied

Sandy, thanks. No, he's a sweat box. So you're saying the front and backing fleece is sufficient? That will save a bundle of cash!

Leave a comment:

• Sandy Navas
    replied

Personal opinion here - I wouldn't use either - I would think a layer of fabric and a layer of fleece would be quite adequate. UNLESS he lives in the deep Artic . . .

Leave a comment:

• Loonwatcher
    started a topic Rag Quilt Batting Question

Rag Quilt Batting Question

For my first quilt I'm going to make a queen size rag quilt (using fleece) for my son's 30th birthday. I've seen two methods of doing the batting:

1-cut batting just smaller than the rag square and quilt the sandwich by stitching an X across the square. The batting is just small enough to not be caught in the seams when sewing the squares together.

2-use another layer of fleece for the batting and cut the same size as your squares. It will just be another edge showing in the rag seam.

Which do you all recommend? Which would be cheaper: fleece or batting?

Your help will be greatly appreciated. Fleece is 50% off at JoAnn's so I want to go there after work today.

Thanks,
Working...
X