Colour Catchers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Colour Catchers

Hey Ladies! Back again with another question, btw, LOVE the new look of the board wow! NICE!

Question 1: How many colour catchers should I use when washing a king size quilt that has a LOT of red on it? For reference, it's in my pics and it's the gigantic Easy Carpenter's Wheel done with one layer cake in Holiday Flourish and one layer cake in Cherry Red by Kona Solids.

Question 2: Can a gigantic white sheet purchased from the Goodwill store or a garage sale be used as a colour catcher?

Thank you for your help
    *HUGS* and Alohas, Bridgette

"Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up." ~Unknown

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- "WOW--What a Ride!" - Unknown

Blog
    http://hapamomquilts.blogspot.com

Re: Colour Catchers

Bridgette, I have been missing you and glad to see you post. I can't speak for the sheet and how well it would work at color catching efficiently, but I can say I love the color catchers and for a king size I would probably use at least 4 sheets, just to be sure with that much red fabric they'll grab all of it.
    Lola
    :icon_wave: http://s178.photobucket.com/albums/w278/josews_photos/

Comment

Originally posted by Lola2Ace View Post
      Bridgette, I have been missing you and glad to see you post. I can't speak for the sheet and how well it would work at color catching efficiently, but I can say I love the color catchers and for a king size I would probably use at least 4 sheets, just to be sure with that much red fabric they'll grab all of it.
      Lola
      Hola Lola! Awww, thank you so much ... oooh, 4 sounds good so maybe I'll use 10?! I'm scared I'm going to ruin one that has a lighter colour fabric and background and the same reds, YIKES!

Thanks again for the advice and being here for me, I have missed you, too

"Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up." ~Unknown

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- "WOW--What a Ride!" - Unknown

Blog

Comment

Bridgette, you are so welcome, but I don't know how much I helped. I think it's better too many than to find out too late there weren't enough. I have been known to re-use them, so if they aren't too too pink/red, that may be a possibility for you.
        Lola
        :icon_wave: http://s178.photobucket.com/albums/w278/josews_photos/

Comment

Sure wish I could buy color catchers here in Canada. So far no luck
          sigpic
          Old quilters never die, they just go batty!

Your Canadian quilting sister, Shauna

Comment

I'd use more than 1 too for that size - 4 sounds great!
            And, since I did a purple and green for my sister, I even gave her 2 or 3 color catchers and told her to use them when she washed the quilt the next few times, just in case. She appreciated that.

Sally - how about if I get a box for you and mail it to ya? That would be no problem, I'd be happy to do it! Just need your address to send it to. You could PM me with your address and that way it won't be here on the board.

Hugs,
            http://www.flickr.com/photos/quiltsbytrish
            http://quiltdreaming.blogspot.com
            http://pinterest.com/TrishLapp

What if you woke up today and the only things you had were the things you thanked God for yesterday? :icon_hug:quilting trish

Comment

Originally posted by RockyMountainHorseMama View Post
              Question 2: Can a gigantic white sheet purchased from the Goodwill store or a garage sale be used as a colour catcher?
              I think the colour catchers have special chemicals in them that bind the loose dye so a plain sheet probably won't do the job.
              Quilting through the dull times
              northstarquilting.blogspot.com

Comment

I would use the whole dang box! I just made my first raggy quilt with some red flannel in it - and it bled like a stuck pig. If it hadn't been for Patticakes being out here on the blog late at night it would have been a total disaster. She told me about color catcher and I ran to Walmart at midnight to get some while the quilt was still wet. Worked good - but wish I had done it the first time I washed it! Better safe than sorry!!!!!

Comment

What is the make and name of these colour catchers? If possible could one of you post a picture of the box? I have a son living in the USA so I could ask him to pick me up a box or two but I'd have to provide him with a good visual so he'd get the right thing. My luck he'd get me a box of fabric softener sheets. Thanks.

Comment

thumbnail.jpg

I buy mine at Walmart. They are locaterd in the same aisle as the fabric softener sheets and the box is similiar in shape and size. Tell him to be careful! lol
                    ~Mary
                    As ye sew, so shall ye rip.

Comment

Originally posted by Lola2Ace View Post
                      Bridgette, you are so welcome, but I don't know how much I helped. I think it's better too many than to find out too late there weren't enough. I have been known to re-use them, so if they aren't too too pink/red, that may be a possibility for you.
                      Lola
                      I agree, too many are far better than not enough! Thanks for the re-use idea, too, had no idea?! Thank you so much Lola! *HUGS*

Blog

Comment

Originally posted by quiltingtrish View Post
                        I'd use more than 1 too for that size - 4 sounds great!
                        And, since I did a purple and green for my sister, I even gave her 2 or 3 color catchers and told her to use them when she washed the quilt the next few times, just in case. She appreciated that.

Sally - how about if I get a box for you and mail it to ya? That would be no problem, I'd be happy to do it! Just need your address to send it to. You could PM me with your address and that way it won't be here on the board.

Hugs,
                        Ooh, good idea sending some along, thanks for that, Trish!

Blog

Comment

Originally posted by jrchapman View Post
                          I think the colour catchers have special chemicals in them that bind the loose dye so a plain sheet probably won't do the job.

Ooh, Thanks for saving me a heartbreak disaster Ms Chapman! *whew*!

Blog

Comment

Originally posted by tamsterg7 View Post
                            I would use the whole dang box! I just made my first raggy quilt with some red flannel in it - and it bled like a stuck pig. If it hadn't been for Patticakes being out here on the blog late at night it would have been a total disaster. She told me about color catcher and I ran to Walmart at midnight to get some while the quilt was still wet. Worked good - but wish I had done it the first time I washed it! Better safe than sorry!!!!!

OH DANG! Yah, way better safe than sorry, I agree!

Blog

Comment

Working...
                            X