Pre cut surprise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Pre cut surprise

I'm in the middle of making a quilt top using two layer cakes and the squares are all larger than 10". I think they make them a little larger to make sure you're definitely getting the amount of fabric you should. I trimmed each square down before I used it which was really time consuming but got rid of all the pinked edges which I hate sewing with anyway!
    Quilting through the dull times
    northstarquilting.blogspot.com

Comment

Wow, I am shocked! The whole point of buying precuts is so you don't have to go through measuring and cutting. If you have to still go through this step then, what is the point of buying precuts? Curious to know if the ladies at MSQC have come across it too! hmmm

P.S. Thank goodness for seam rippers

Comment

Thanks Jan........ as I read the comments from the other lovely QDs (my new abbreviation.... quilting divas ... I love it) I realized this isn't the isolated incident I thought it was and I wonder if other projects that were just a tiny bit off as they were pieced was caused by the same issue with Jelly Rolls and or Charm Packs. Makes me go ..... HMMMMMMMMMMM?

Hugs
        Mia
        ~~ Hugs and Blessings,
        Mia

...quilters come with strings attached
        (boy aint that the darn truth !!)

Comment

I am really surprised at this. I have had a nightmare with Fabric freedom and John Louden jelly rolls but so far I have been so happy with Moda. With the problems I have had I have vowed only to use Moda but I shall be more vigilant.

Comment

I made something with my first pre-cut and had no width issues, but some strips were longer/shorter than the others. It didn't matter if I sewed them in opposite directions or all the same. I had some that stuck out. Not so bad as the different width issue though.

I agree with Jill. I don't like the pinked edges. They fuzzed up my machine faster than either flannel or fleece! Hmm. I like the pre-cuts because you get a sample of the whole line, but some of the drawbacks are adding up. I just have to double check accuracy before proceeding with a project. I should know this from other quilting projects, but I was looking for a sweet short cut to the finished project.
            Thanks for the heads up!
            Be who you are and say what you feel
            because those who mind don't matter,
            and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss

http://www.toggpine.wordpress.com

Comment

This is an unfortunate situation. So far, I haven't had any trouble but I really haven't worked that much with my precuts yet. Am wondering if I'm going to have the same problems with some of mine.

In regard to your comment Linboose, the main reason I buy the precuts is for the variety of designer fabric prints included in the line and their color coordination . That's the only reason I've bought them. For me it's more economical to buy yardage and cut it myself. There are so many rulers and cutting tools available to make the job of cutting fabric so easy.
              Goodbye Europe! Hello California! Home sweet home.

Comment

I have only ever used 1 jelly roll and it was just one from Hobby Lobby. One of the strips in my roll was a little larger too. I didn't realize this until I put my nine patch blocks together. My squares don't line up perfectly on just the squares with that particular fabric. All the rest line up perfectly. I checked my seams and they were right on, so it has to be the strip. I wonder if you called Moda if they would send you a coupon or a free jelly roll or something. Some companies will do that. I know someone who called Pepsi because she got an empty can in her 12 pack and she gets free pepsi in the mail all the time now.

Comment

That's a very good idea.... Poppy ......
                  ~~ Hugs and Blessings,
                  Mia

...quilters come with strings attached
                  (boy aint that the darn truth !!)

Comment

wow Mia, I thank you so much, I would never of checked it myself and now I shall. I am crazy for cutting exactly and have been known to re cut several times ( it is the A type personality in me)

Comment

Working...
                    X