Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pre cut surprise

Hi everyone....

I guess I've said it enough that everyone has heard it.....but......I love precuts.... and especially jelly rolls. Earlier this week I began working on a new quilt using Rural Jardin jelly roll. I was very careful to cut ...... and to stitch using the scant quarter inch. This pattern begins with strip sets which are subcut into 2 1/2" strips before being joined to the contrasting fabric. My problems began when I started building the blocks using the strip sets. Some... not all... of the seams just didn't fit properly. I was so upset with myself for my obvious mistake in cutting and or sewing. I just put the entire project away until this afternoon. I started to work on it again and I realized my problem was consistently with the blocks containing red strips. I measured again and realized the two of the red print strips from the jelly roll were not exactly 2 1/2 inches wide... they were just a little wider and they caused all of my problems.

I haven't ever measured the width of jelly roll strips... I didn't know I needed to.
    Have you had any issues like these?

Hugs
    Mia
    ~~ Hugs and Blessings,
    Mia

...quilters come with strings attached
    (boy aint that the darn truth !!)

Re: Pre cut surprise

I wouldn't think you would need to measure them first either. After all, if they say you are getting 2 1/2" strips, then they should all measure that. I don't know where the Rural Jardin would have come from but sometimes if maybe you get a jelly roll from Joann's or its an off line, then maybe they aren't too careful in cutting.

Hugs,
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/quiltsbytrish
    http://quiltdreaming.blogspot.com
    http://pinterest.com/TrishLapp

What if you woke up today and the only things you had were the things you thanked God for yesterday? :icon_hug:quilting trish

Comment

This was a Moda Jelly Roll.... that's why I was so surprised.
      It took time but I fixed it and now it needs to be quilted...
      huggggs
      ~~ Hugs and Blessings,
      Mia

Comment

That also surprises me Mia, Moda are generally very accurate (even if I don't like the edges). I have seen some that have been too narrow and required the entire jelly roll to be re-trimmed to a narrower size. This was a cheap brand and the lady who owned it cussed some and promised never to buy from that (chain) store again.

On the bright side, at least they were wider and could be trimmed, which is way better than too narrow.
        Lynn

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain" Anonymous.

Comment

That's so strange!!! I'm sure it's a machine that cuts these things so it seems like there would be no room for error when the strips are cut. Oh well, good to know. I'll pay closer attention to the products as I use them. What a headache, right?
          Goodbye Europe! Hello California! Home sweet home.

Comment

I agree, that is strange..you would think they would be cut perfect..but like man sometimes machines have there days too! I guess i will be looking at my pre- cuts a little closer now! Thanks for the info!
            Angela:icon_bigsmile:

Comment

I read on another site where someone purhcased a jellyroll by northcut and several of the strips were not cut properly. She first contacted the store where it was purchased to see if they would replace the set and after being very persistant was ble to get a replacement. The store should take it back and contact the manufactor,so this can be corrected(it's call quality control). I hope this will help....................Sassyg

Comment

It's funny that you should mention it, but I just opened a Moda jelly roll last night that I had ordered several weeks ago and noticed that a few of the strips were cut crooked. Fortunately, it was only 2 strips out of the whole roll, but I was very disappointed.

Teresa

Comment

Oh my, I thought it was me!!! I too experienced a jelly roll with strips of different 2.5" sizes.

Comment

Wow, I guess we have to be more diligent and watch our stuff when we buy it. How disappointing is
                    That? So sorry for your problems. And of course you can't open it in the store and check it out if it's a jelly roll. I did get a charm pack once that was off like that. I just can't remember where I got it or who made it. I will be more vigilant. Thanks for the warning.
                    Home, where each lives for the others and all live for God! ><(((((o>

Comment

I actually had this happen to me yesterday with Moda precut 5" charm packs! There is one square which consistantly was a little "under" 5"...so frustrating!

Comment

Thanks for the info.... I would have never thought that any of the precuts would be off ! Isn't that the point of getting precuts since they are supposed to be accurately cut ?

Kelley

Comment

Thank you all for your encouragement.....
                          and thanks Sassy ...... you're right, but by the time I identified the problem the jelly roll was in little bitty squares.
                          I will surely check before cutting from now on ... however, I think I made a best friend in this........ the good ol' seam ripper came to the rescue. Have a great monday ...
                          hugggs
                          Mia
                          ~~ Hugs and Blessings,
                          Mia

Comment

wow so glad this was brought up. I was going to ask a couple weeks ago and didn't. the last two jellyrolls I got from moda had crooked strips. I couldn't believe it.
                            Patrice

Comment

Patrice it really is frustrating...... and very surprising also. I expected better quality control from Moda. Wonder if any of the MSQS ladies have had this problem.
                              Hugs again
                              Mia
                              ~~ Hugs and Blessings,
                              Mia

Comment

Working...
                              X