Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need help deciding how to quilt this.....or should I just tie it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lola2Ace
    replied
    Re: Need help deciding how to quilt this.....or should I just tie it?

Leigh, I did do the long seams 1st and then filled in the middles. I did start in the middle with the long seams making the X's in the solid squares and then moved on from there.
    Lola

Leave a comment:

• Leigh
    replied

Lola, I love the way that looks. Do you do the squares all as squares or do you stitch the long seams and then go back and fill in the middles? I can't remember the best way to do this. I just remember to begin in the middle and work out......I think.

Leave a comment:

• Lola2Ace
    replied

Hi Leigh, my sympathies on the loss of your Dad. I love the fabric you used for your quilt and it will be perfect for a beach house. I did a quilt very similar to yours and I did stitch in the ditch around the 9 patches and the X in the solid squares. Here's a pic from my album so you can get an idea how it will look. The walking foot will make it so much quicker and easier for you.

I can't wait to see a pic of your finished quilt.
    Lola

Leave a comment:

• kelandspence
    replied

Sorry to hear about your dad ! I vote for stitch in the ditch !!!! It goes fast, so you will have it done in no time !

Kelley

Leave a comment:

• Leigh
    replied

Thank you ladies. I found my even feed foot so maybe tomorrow I'll start quilting it. I'd love to get some use of it before I take it to the Cape.

Leave a comment:

• Emmari
    replied

So sorry about your dad. I agree with patticakes but if you do decide to tie I guess you know that you can do this by machine as well? "Just" secure close to the intersections with safetypins, lower the feed dogs and secure where the blocks meet with straight stitch a couple of times, do a few zig zag and end with on the spot straights again.

Hugs from Eva Mari

Leave a comment:

• patticakes
    replied

Leigh,
    So sorry about your Dad. A big hug to you! It's a beautiful quilt and will be a loving touch for your Mom's house. I think machine quilting a criss cross grid pattern would be nice and with a walking foot it goes pretty quick. Of course, I am not a stickler for perfection. I also think it would be nice tied. Either way you decide to go, it is a lovely quilt!
    Patti

Leave a comment:

• Sandy Navas
    replied

I really think that SITD would be perfect for this quilt with an X through the setting squares. However, aside from saying that, I would probably just do a tie on this quilt - given where it is going to be used.

Didn't help at all, did I?

Leave a comment:

• Need help deciding how to quilt this.....or should I just tie it?

In the second week after my Dad's funeral this summer we had our vacation. We stayed with my Mom at their beach house so she would not be alone. I had found this jelly roll called Sea Glass. And I then obsessively worked on this. I had the center pieced before our week was over, working in the kitchen at night. I made the batting thin so I could use it at Mom's Cape Cod house and it would be like a hug from my Dad.

I have had it pinned since September but am trying to decide how to quilt it. I know that hand quilting it is not an option...it would take me too long and I would not finish it (See my quilts albumn for the quilt that took me 20 years to finish because I stuck it in a closet with only two blocks to go.)

I was thinking of using invisible thread on the top and teal on the bobbin and do diagonals through the nine patch (or both) blocks. Or stitch in the ditch the squares. Or just tie it and be done.....

Any suggestions appreciated.

Sorry for writing a novel.
    Attached Files
Working...
X