HSTs using Jenny's method - beginning and ending sizes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HSTs using Jenny's method - beginning and ending sizes

Jenny's HST method calls for placing two squares right sides together, sewing 1/4" seam all around, and then cutting on both diagonals to yield 4 HSTs from 2 squares. I have done the math to determine the finished HST size you will get from this method, and am fairly confident I am right, utilizing the Pythagorean Theorem. Don't forget - you can trim down the HSTs to make the size you need (though that would be an extra step).
    2 squares = 4 HSTs
    2" Square = 1.06" HSTs
    2.5" Square = 1.41" HSTs
    3.0" Square = 1.77" HSTs
    3.5" Square = 2.12" HSTs
    4.0" Square = 2.47" HSTs
    4.5" Square = 2.83" HSTs
    5.0" Square = 3.18" HSTs
    5.5" Square = 3.54" HSTs
    6.0" Square = 3.89" HSTs
    6.5" Square = 4.24" HSTs
    7.0" Square = 4.60" HSTs
    7.5" Square = 4.95" HSTs
    8.0" Square = 5.30" HSTs
    8.5" Square = 5.66" HSTs
    9.0" Square = 6.01" HSTs
    9.5" Square = 6.36" HSTs
    10.0" Square = 6.72" HSTs
    10.5" Square = 7.07" HSTs
    11.0" Square = 7.42" HSTs
    11.5" Square = 7.78" HSTs
    12.0" Square = 8.13" HSTs
    Amy

Jeremiah 29:11

http://pinterest.com/acct97531/quilts-to-make/

Daughter of Tobeysmama

Re: HSTs using Jenny's method - beginning and ending sizes

And going the other way - what size original squares are needed to end up with certain size HSTs:
    XXX" Squares (2) = XXX" HSTs (4)

1.7" Squares = 1.0" HSTs
    2.4" Squares = 1.5" HSTs
    3.1" Squares = 2.0" HSTs
    3.8" Squares = 2.5" HSTs
    4.5" Squares = 3.0" HSTs
    5.2" Squares = 3.5" HSTs
    5.9" Squares = 4.0" HSTs
    6.6" Squares = 4.5" HSTs
    7.3" Squares = 5.0" HSTs
    8.0" Squares = 5.5" HSTs
    8.7" Squares = 6.0" HSTs
    9.4" Squares = 6.5" HSTs
    10.1" Squares = 7.0" HSTs
    10.9" Squares = 7.5" HSTs
    11.6" Squares = 8.0" HSTs
    12.3" Squares = 8.5" HSTs
    13.0" Squares = 9.0" HSTs
    13.7" Squares = 9.5" HSTs
    14.4" Squares = 10.0" HSTs
    15.1" Squares = 10.5" HSTs
    15.8" Squares = 11.0" HSTs
    16.5" Squares = 11.5" HSTs
    17.2" Squares = 12.0" HSTs

If you need quarter inch sizes, just let me know and I'll send over the answer.
    Amy

Daughter of Tobeysmama

Comment

Amy you're an absolute legend, well done!!

Huggs, Pami

Comment

Originally posted by nyscpa2be View Post
        Jenny's HST method calls for placing two squares right sides together, sewing 1/4" seam all around, and then cutting on both diagonals to yield 4 HSTs from 2 squares. I have done the math to determine the finished HST size you will get from this method, and am fairly confident I am right, utilizing the Pythagorean Theorem. Don't forget - you can trim down the HSTs to make the size you need (though that would be an extra step).
        s
        Pythagoras! My favorite mathematician EVER! Actually, I'm just pretending to understand. I'm a wiz at math, NOT geometry. Thank you for this. It's very helpful.
        My friends call me Peggy
        The government calls me Mary Margaret

Proverbs 13:22 A good person leaves an inheritance for their children’s children.

Comment

Pythagorean Theorem!!!! You have just taken me back to freshman geometry....and that was a very long time ago. I aced that class, but couldn't tell you what the Pythagorean Theorem was if my quilting stash depended on it! lol

Comment

I don't have a clue what all the Pythagorean theorem is but I love that you have these all figured out for us, I usually just do the hit and miss method, always making a sample before I start cutting. Thanks so much, Linda

Comment

I don't know anything about higher math but I do recognize a life saver when I see one and this chart is a lifesaver for me. Thank you!
              It's all fun and games until the bobbin runs out.

Comment

People who understand math blow me away. All I can say is holy cow that you figured that out.

I can't even measure. Honestly. The other day, I asked my DH for help understanding what the lines on the ruler meant. (Not kidding.) It's a wonder I can quilt. But I am an improviser. I get close, eyeball it, and somehow things work out. Of course, I have not made any blocks with perfectly matched points yet, either. I'm more of a contemporary quilt gal.
                Joan, aka the Unaquilter

"I've never been to heaven, but I've been to Oklahoma."

Learn more about me and my quilts at my blog:

http://debtofgratitude.wordpress.com/

Comment

I don't understand these figures at all. I use a 4-1/8" square to make HSTs that are 3.5". If you sew a really scant 1/4" seam, you can get by with just a 4" sq. All you have to do is add 1/2" or 3/4" more than the size of HST you want. JCY

Comment

JCY, thats correct if you are using the standard method of marking the diagonal line, then sewing 1/4 inch on each side then cutting on the diagonal, utilizing 2 squares to make 2 HSTs. Jenny's method is to place two squares face side together, then sew 1/4 inch all around, and cut on both diagonals. The math of just adding 1/2" or 3/4" doesn't work here, which is why I gave the new calculations above. Does that make sense?
                    Amy

Daughter of Tobeysmama

Comment

Thanks so much Amy, you are a jewel! . . . .Just sayin.
                      sigpicMiss Sheri

For me, it's all about Love, . . . Always!

Comment

I remember an old song that stated - the square of the hypotenuse is equal to the sum of the squares of the two adjacent sides. Can't for the life of remember any more of the lyrics but I think it was sung by Danny Kaye ...... some things you never forget!
                        Poppytree
                        Last edited by Poppytree; October 2, 2013, 04:47 AM.
                        Jane

http://jtct-jane.blogspot.com.au

Comment

Ok. So I need my finished square to be 12.5". What size would my squares be in 1/4" increments be? Thanks.

Comment

Thank you Amy for posting this. Will keep the thread in my notes!
                            Julia

Comment

Originally posted by LCQuilts View Post
                              Ok. So I need my finished square to be 12.5". What size would my squares be in 1/4" increments be? Thanks.
                              OK, its early for me. Sorry. Are you looking for the finished pinwheel to be 12.5", or for each HST to be 12.5"? If pinwheel, then you need 2 9.5" squares, yielding 4 6.5" HSTs, which when sewn back together, will give you a pinwheel block of 12.5", which will then have a 1/4" seam allowance.

If you are looking for the HST to be 12.5", then 2 18" squares will yield 4 12.5" HSTs, or 2 18 5/8" squares will yield 4 13" HSTs, which would be 12.5" finished after seam allowances.

OK, let me know if that makes sense please. I think I have it right.
                              Amy

Daughter of Tobeysmama

Comment

Working...
                              X