X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leigh
    replied
    Re: all thumbs in thimbles

I wear mine on the middle finger. Then while I guide the needle in with my index I then use the thimble to pop it out and in by pushing and "levering" it up and down. Then I use the bare index and thumb to pull out. I don't know if this makes sense as described. But I get very even stitches that way. (I used to use leather - but when they get old the back of the needle goes through and THAT really hurts. lol

Leave a comment:

• prssingmatters
    replied

I'm going to try that. thanks!

Leave a comment:

• prssingmatters
    replied

I thought of using white bandage tape. I used it after crocheting for long periods of time.Thanks!

Leave a comment:

• prssingmatters
    replied

The leather one I have is to big I guess it won't stay on

Leave a comment:

• prssingmatters
    replied

Wow! That's amazing! That does seem like it would be easier quilting with no frame or hoop.Puckers? I have them everywhere. Maybe one day with a lot of practice and more mistakes I won't have them.

Leave a comment:

• suzette58
    replied

I just can't get used to the metal or rubber thimbles. I use the leather ones and they work great for me.

Leave a comment:

• Andrilla
    replied

I also used some small bits of bandage. I started off with band-aids when my fingers got sore. Then I got the ace bandages that stick to its self. I cut a thin strip and use that to wrap around my fingers. I can still feel things through it in a way that I can't through my rubber thimble, but they still provide protection for my fingers.

I just started using a real thimble (rubber works best for me, the others fall off my fingers), and it takes some getting used to. Now that I have gotten used to it, I don't think I'd go back to not using it.

Leave a comment:

• Sandy Navas
    replied

Originally posted by prssingmatters View Post
    Hello ,I'm a newby to quilting and just started hand sewing a baby quilt. When it comes to thimbles seems I'm all thumbs?? I have rubber ones, metal, and leather. I put them on and want to use the fingers that are bare?? Any ideas would greatly be appreciated!!
    I'm like that, too - I can have three or four thimbles on and always wind up using a bare finger. But, I keep trying and do find there are times when I'm glad I have one on.

Leave a comment:

• bakermom
    replied

I wrap adhesive tape around the ends of my fingers in place of a thimble. i do use leather thimbles, but tape works best for me. You can tape wherever you need protection.

Leave a comment:

• quiltingtrish
    replied

I think they take getting used to. I, personally, don't use a thimble. I have one on hand in case I have a really tough area to push the needle through, but don't wear one while I am quilting. I do have a tough middle finger that has a calluse on it, but that's just the way I do it. I also don't use a hoop or frame. I didn't have one when I was learning to quilt and just sit the project in my lap. I don't even get puckers in the back.

Hugs,

Leave a comment:

• prssingmatters
    started a topic all thumbs in thimbles

all thumbs in thimbles

Hello ,I'm a newby to quilting and just started hand sewing a baby quilt. When it comes to thimbles seems I'm all thumbs?? I have rubber ones, metal, and leather. I put them on and want to use the fingers that are bare?? Any ideas would greatly be appreciated!!
Working...
X