all thumbs in thimbles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

all thumbs in thimbles

Hello ,I'm a newby to quilting and just started hand sewing a baby quilt. When it comes to thimbles seems I'm all thumbs?? I have rubber ones, metal, and leather. I put them on and want to use the fingers that are bare?? Any ideas would greatly be appreciated!!

Re: all thumbs in thimbles

I think they take getting used to. I, personally, don't use a thimble. I have one on hand in case I have a really tough area to push the needle through, but don't wear one while I am quilting. I do have a tough middle finger that has a calluse on it, but that's just the way I do it. I also don't use a hoop or frame. I didn't have one when I was learning to quilt and just sit the project in my lap. I don't even get puckers in the back.

Hugs,
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/quiltsbytrish
    http://quiltdreaming.blogspot.com
    http://pinterest.com/TrishLapp

What if you woke up today and the only things you had were the things you thanked God for yesterday? :icon_hug:quilting trish

Comment

I wrap adhesive tape around the ends of my fingers in place of a thimble. i do use leather thimbles, but tape works best for me. You can tape wherever you need protection.
      “What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world, is and remains immortal.”

― Albert Pine

Comment

Originally posted by prssingmatters View Post
        Hello ,I'm a newby to quilting and just started hand sewing a baby quilt. When it comes to thimbles seems I'm all thumbs?? I have rubber ones, metal, and leather. I put them on and want to use the fingers that are bare?? Any ideas would greatly be appreciated!!
        I'm like that, too - I can have three or four thimbles on and always wind up using a bare finger. But, I keep trying and do find there are times when I'm glad I have one on.
        Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
        it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Comment

I also used some small bits of bandage. I started off with band-aids when my fingers got sore. Then I got the ace bandages that stick to its self. I cut a thin strip and use that to wrap around my fingers. I can still feel things through it in a way that I can't through my rubber thimble, but they still provide protection for my fingers.

I just started using a real thimble (rubber works best for me, the others fall off my fingers), and it takes some getting used to. Now that I have gotten used to it, I don't think I'd go back to not using it.

Comment

I just can't get used to the metal or rubber thimbles. I use the leather ones and they work great for me.
            Suzette

Comment

Wow! That's amazing! That does seem like it would be easier quilting with no frame or hoop.Puckers? I have them everywhere. Maybe one day with a lot of practice and more mistakes I won't have them.

Comment

The leather one I have is to big I guess it won't stay on

Comment

I thought of using white bandage tape. I used it after crocheting for long periods of time.Thanks!

Comment

I'm going to try that. thanks!

Comment

I wear mine on the middle finger. Then while I guide the needle in with my index I then use the thimble to pop it out and in by pushing and "levering" it up and down. Then I use the bare index and thumb to pull out. I don't know if this makes sense as described. But I get very even stitches that way. (I used to use leather - but when they get old the back of the needle goes through and THAT really hurts. lol

Comment

Working...
                      X