X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• zenkitty
    replied
    Re: directions confusing

I always wondered how those blocks were made.

Leave a comment:

• Blondie
    replied

I realize that this is not the LeMoyne Star but I think you can by this video that in the cutting and sewing you can alleviate some of those nasty Y seams.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/AliciasA...10/DWpSETMbws4

Leave a comment:

• zenkitty
    replied

I think I will share this info with her. Believe it or not, she used to teach Spanish to middle school kids. I have to say, this teacher has taught me some good things and broken me of bad habits...mostly to take pride in my work and that it's ok to have wonky pieces. No quilt police. However, that said.....she does show in expo's and I feel like a 3rd grader when I'm in the room with her. I have no idea what a Y seam is, but I figured the more I learn, the better off I am.

I was so bad in math especially those crazy thought problems.....

Leave a comment:

• toggpine
    replied

It is like a math question from school. Take it one step at at time. From the sounds of things Sandy has it correct, and it sounds like you have figured it out too. The "crosscut" phrase was probably what threw you. I'd have said "Cut 6.25" squares from the strip." Then gone on to tell you to cut the square into 4 equal triangles by cutting diagonally, making a huge X from corner to corner, both directions. Hopefully giving you a picture or graphic to look at.

Leave a comment:

• Sandy Navas
    replied

I just hope I was right - and don't think I can sew a straight line. I can figure out the math but that's about it.

Leave a comment:

• tamsterg7
    replied

I am so glad Sandy answered that questions - because I felt like I was back in high school geometry or algebra and I just glazed over. One thing for sure - I don't think I will ever make anything that requires y seams/crosscuts etc. unless I have a tutorial to watch over and over and over and........... You guys that get all of this are really good!

Leave a comment:

• zenkitty
    replied

Sandy...omg, it hit me when I tried to picture what you said. Duh. Just like cutting a strip into squares. Her wording threw me. It was beginning to sound like a math question!! Thanks so much!!!

Leave a comment:

• zenkitty
    replied

Thanks, Sandy. I think I understand. I'm with you about using Jenny's tut. But for me being new at this, it's good to learn how it's done the original method and then the shortcuts can grow from there. I am doing a BOM and it has the basket (?) and I will do that tube method on Jenny's tutorial to cut out the half-square triangles. The class is all about the Y seam, so if I mess this up, it's only muslin and just one piece. It's just for learning purposes.

Leave a comment:

• Sandy Navas
    replied

No, zenkitty, when it tells you to crosscut it means to cut perpendicular to the length of your first cut (a long strip the width of the fabric). That way you will wind up with squares 6 1/4 x 6 1/4 inches. Then when you cut on the diagonal of that square and turn and cut diagonally again you will wind up with four triangles from each square.

Me, I'd adjust my measurements, buy a stack of charms and cut those according to Jenny's quick half-square triangle tutorial.

Leave a comment:

• zenkitty
    started a topic directions confusing

directions confusing

I signed up for a short class on mastering the Y seam. The supply list has 1/4 yd each for the background and the star that we will learn from. Here's my confusion: for the background fabric it says: cut one 6 1/4"x40 strip. Crosscut one 6 1/4" square. Cut the square in half twice on the diagonal to yield 4 triangles.

Ok...I am to believe that I cut the first strip and then another 61/4 x 61/4? And is crosscut mean cutting on the diagonal to make a half-square? We are making a LeMoyne Star.

Any help would be appreciated.
    Last edited by zenkitty; March 13, 2011, 05:54 PM.
Working...
X