Studio furniture

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Studio furniture

Hello all....... Setting up my little sewing space to start my first quilt and need your help. Is there a "ergo-proper" height that the machine should be setting at? Currently setting on a 30" high table and the machine surface is another 3.5" above that. No big budget here for studio furniture. Thanks for your input on this. I'm sure I'll be calling on all you Kings n Queens of Quilting again and again.

Re: Studio furniture

I think a lot depends on how tall you are. That is probably about where my machine is, but I'm over 6' tall. You shouldn't have to reach up to your machine and should be able to see the sewing area well.

Maybe someone will come along with a better measurement for you.
    K is for Karen 😊​ Albuquerque, NM..................
    Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
    T - is it TRUE?
    H - is it HELPFUL?
    I - is it INSPIRING?
    N - is it NECESSARY?
    K - is it KIND?

Comment

Thanks so much. I'm 5'10" but it feels a bit too high. Reaching up just a bit like you said. Thanks again.

Comment

Karen - I'm 5'10", tall is a pain in the bbbbbb...ack!!!

An adjustable height chair is THE best solution, as Karen said you need your machine quite high. Yours sounds a great height but still depends on the chair. Mine is set that the flatbed of my machine sits level with about half way up my upper arms, I can see what I'm doing and not hunching down. Much better for the back and neck, tho my wings get a bit stiff unless I have stretch breaks (which you should regularly)

Cheers, pami

Comment

Thanks Pami..... I have my chair at the highest height. I think what I'll do is get that machine bed down just a bit and then my chair height will be just right. Thanks for your help. With all this fabric I've recently purchased I plan to be sitting at my machine alot. Important to be comfy. Happy quilting......

Comment

If you have room for an old table, cut the footprint of your machine out of it, add a shelf so your machine bed top is level w/the table and go to town!! That is what my sewing table is and it's fabulous! It was a table we had bought at Ikea for $100, used it several years, then I appropriated it for better things!
            pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

Comment

Thanks so much.... I'm thinking about doing just that!

Comment

I converted an old desk. I had hubby cut out the footprint to my machine in the top. Get an adjustable chair. Now when I make a big quilt it doesn't "drag" over the edge as bad as it used to. Also have plenty of storage for thread, patterns, scissors, bobbins, rippers....etc...
                Well enjoy your time!!!

Comment

My table is 28" tall, but my machine bed is level with the table height. I don't have the chair up as high as it will go either.
                  I think a good judge would be to sit in the chair, put your arms on the table near the machine, and see if your elbows are about level with the table top. If they are above, you'll be hunching over. If they are too far below, you'll be reachine. I think mine are within an inch of the table height.

Comment

I have been using an adjustable height office chair as my sewing chair. Last week hubby and I searched in vain for an office chair that was a little higher for me. Then yesterday a light bulb went off and I realized that I need a drafting chair. They are adjustable and go up much higher than the standard office chair. I think that is what I will be searching for now.
                    Lisa

Please treat others as you would hope others would treat those you love.

[/COLOR]

Comment

I'm in the process of making a desk for myself now - we are using two bookcases from WalMart that are 30" tall, and adding a luann door that is about 1 1/2 inches thick - so probably 32" max. I am 5-5, and mom is 5-2, but the new desk will be higher than the kitchen table, so I might need the cut out and shelf that others use - time to butter Dad up. I would say play around with what you have at home - use a dining room chair, a folding chair, an office chair, to get an idea of what works best.
                      Amy

Jeremiah 29:11

http://pinterest.com/acct97531/quilts-to-make/

Daughter of Tobeysmama

Comment

I agree with Pami and the others who use adjusting chairs. I couldn't sew without my up-and-down chair. Sometimes I even sit on a cushion with the chair as high as it can go.
                        sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

Thanks so much, I really like the idea of extra storage. We can never have too much of that right !!!!

Comment

Thanks.... I'm going to check that out and see where I'm at. I'm thinking that 28" with the adjustable chair would surely find me a comfortable position.

Comment

Hi Lisa..... I'm using an office chair too. At some point I'd sure like a comfortable chair too. Maybe those drafting chairs would be the ticket. Thanks for your time ;-)

Comment

Working...
                              X