Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HELP! What the heck do I do with this...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: HELP! What the heck do I do with this...

What pressure foot did you use? You need to use the darning foot. Try to also re thread the bobbin.
    Suzette

Comment

Thank you all. I read SewBee's recommended article on tension, re-thread, and removed and re-attached the quilting foot. I also wrapped a rubber band around the top of the foot (just below the arm thingie) a few times (as seen on Leah Day's tut on youtube). problem seems to be solved (YAY) and I've got my bag quilted. Decided to do a combo of stitch in the ditch (mostly anyway) and just horizontal straight (mostly) lines. Need more practice before i try FMQ on a project. Couldn't have done it without all your help.

Should be able to finish the bag tomorrow - barring any further crises - and will post a picture of the finished bag.
      ;)Nancy

I got a sewing machine for my husband. Good trade, huh!?!

Comment

I've only done stippling with my free motion foot. Stitch length should be at 0(zero). As for the thread bunching up at the back, it may be your bobin tension. Do you have your owner's manual? It should explain tension as it relates to your machine.

Patti

Comment

Oops! Just realized there are alot of very helpful posts here. Happy it worked out for you.

Comment

To me your back looks like you've got a tension problem. I would set it, stitch to see how the back is looking, and keep adjusting it until your back looks right. I have problems to this day with tension and got great advice on this forum about Always using a practice piece to warm up and check stitches front and back, before putting your quilt on your machine each day.

Your feed dogs should be lowered, so your stitch length doesn't matter, as I understand it. Your stitch length will be determined by how hard you press your pedal and how fast (or slow) you move your hands and arms.
            There's still time to change the road you're on - Led Zeppelin, "Stairway to Heaven"

Comment

I use what ever needle i happen to have for quilting.Do you have the feed dogs down?The sample quilting i showed you is 2.5 length of stitch.Could be you just have to get the feel of the machine.I'm going to go check out your machine on the web.

Comment

I went and looked at your machine on the Brother web sight.It might be the machine or do you have the bobbin in the right way?Other than that,i can't think what it could be.You might go check out the web sight.

Comment

I'm no expert for sure, but when that happened to me in class, the teacher said for me to undo everything. I had the bobbin in the machine in the wrong direction. She said it has to unwind clockwise. So now whenever I insert the bobbin into the case, I lay it in my hand first, pull on the end of the thread and make sure it turns clockwise. Ever since then, I have had no problems.

Comment

Working...
                  X