Alter Ego quilt question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alter Ego quilt question

After I finish the double slice layer cake quilt I made (just needs to be sandwiched & quilted) I have decided to make the alter ego quilt. I have a layer cake of the Ho Ho Ho material, but I have a problem with the instructions. Jenny says you only need 1 layer cake to make the quilt which is 6 X 7 blocks in size. You have an even amount of hour glass blocks & scrappy 4 patches. To make this, you would have to divide your pile of 42 fabric pieces into 2 piles of 21 fabric pieces. How do you make all the hour glass squares with an odd number of pieces? Is there something I'm missing? I love this quilt design but I just don't see how the math works.

Re: Alter Ego quilt question

I am just about to start Jenny's alter ego quilt using a layer cake and I would love to know the answer too

Comment

The best answer I could come up with is to leave 5 different squares out. Sew up the rest following the instructions, and then you can make the remaining hourglass squares with the leftover squares. Gosh, that was half a year ago! LOL

Comment

How did this work out for you? I am just starting on this and came up with the same question.
        Peggy:icon_hug:

Comment

66524d1390772837t-carnival-mardi-gras-alter-ego-quilt-plus-table-runner-scraps-image.jpg66525d1390772881t-carnival-mardi-gras-alter-ego-quilt-plus-table-runner-scraps-image.jpgYou cannot make all the hour glass blocks using her method of pressing in half and sewing down the middle on either side. you can do some of them that way, but you will need to do the last 5-7 blocks by cutting them into triangles, mixing them up and sewing them back together. You will need to do the same with the 4 -patch block. cutting the last 5-7 blocks into 5 inch squares and making 4 patches rather than the speedier method she used in her tutorial. I made an alter ego, but ended up making it bigger - rather than the 42 (7 rows of 6) that she used. Still had that same issue.

Make sure you square them up afterwards or it will be wonky! the hour glass blocks are about 1/8 - 1/4 inch smaller!

Here is my "carnival alter ego" quilt made with mardi gras fabrics
          it is twin sized
          Last edited by bhaggerty; February 10, 2014, 10:42 PM.
          Happy Quilting!

Comment

Beautiful quilt!

Comment

it is twin sized[/QUOTE]

I love this quilt so much. The colors are gorgeous.

Comment

Originally posted by Pandabear View Post
                it is twin sized
                "I love this quilt so much. The colors are gorgeous"

Thanks! I donated it to my kids' school. They are going to either raffle or auction it off on March 1st. (At a Mardi Gras auction dinner dance). Hope it brings in some $$ for the school.
                Happy Quilting!

Comment

Originally posted by bhaggerty View Post

it is twin sized
                  Wow, that is gorgeous! You have inspired me to go ahead and make the quilt with my "Let it Snow" layer cake. I will follow the advice of leaving out 5 squares for the hourglass blocks to make them the other way. I might just chain piece the four patches the traditional way. The print is directional, but I don't really care if they flip-flop in all different ways. Adds to the scrappy nature of the quilt if you ask me. I love your backing also. Great job!

Comment

Working...
                  X