Backing fabric for quilts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Backing fabric for quilts

Hi ladies, i was wondering what fabric you use to back your quilts. do you use a plain fabric or a patterened one to match the top?
    I'm NOT responsible for my actions untill at least 30 mins after my first cup of tea! :icon_mooooh:

Re: Backing fabric for quilts

I haven't decided that yet myself.I've seen where they just piece the backing.I have fabric left from my D9P,so I'm thinking of using plain fabric then cut strips to go around the plain fabric.Connie C

Comment

For my very first quilt I used a patterened one,
      - the quilting was stitch in the ditch as I chickened out... *Blush, blush*

I have since mostly turned to solid on some but only because I just did some super easy lines.

I am still too nervous to try FMQ on a large scale
      but I will def use a patterened backing when I do...

Hugs from Eva Mari
      Fabric purchases require no justification!
      A stash must be carefully and constantly built. That's my story and I'm sticking with it.

Comment

Nice quilts,and pictures.Connie C

Comment

Hi there
          I am such a make do kind of gal. Have used sheets, regular 108 inch backing fabric and muslin. I also have just kinda patched different fabrics together to make the backing. I guess you can say that this is a real personal preference issue.
          Good luck.
          Sewing mends the soul.
          sigpic

Do the math; count your blessings
          Laughing is good exercise. It's like jogging on the inside.

http://pinterest.com/vintageprims/boards/ Unless we are creating we are not fully alive
          ~ Madeleine L'Engle

Comment

Eva Marie
            Your quilts are very lovely! Thank you for sharing the pictures!
            Sewing mends the soul.
            sigpic

Do the math; count your blessings
            Laughing is good exercise. It's like jogging on the inside.

http://pinterest.com/vintageprims/boards/ Unless we are creating we are not fully alive
            ~ Madeleine L'Engle

Comment

Right now I'm doing mostly baby quilts and I use the flannel drapery lining. I love it. It's so soft.
              Lisa

"Make it your ambition to lead a quiet life and attend to your own business and work with your hands...." 1 Thessalonians 4:11

Comment

look through 108.jpglook through 108.jpgI've used patterned material, muslin, and bedsheets.I am not a big fan of how the bedsheets turned out, but the regular patterned material (108 inch, or regular sized) I've never had any problems with. I even pieced one of the backs of my quilts because I wanted ducky flannel and they had two colors of ducky flannel, but not enough of either of them to do the whole back. I had worried that it would be a pain, but it wasn't. (Picture above)

For me, it depends on the quilt. Some quilts look pretty with a pattern on the back, some look better without one on the back.

Edit: I don't know why that picture appears twice, so sorry about that.

Comment

Nice pictures Gals! Very pretty quilts. I usually try to have one of the colors from the front of the quilt on the backing. Sometimes I use tone on tone or a nice pattern. I always use 100 percent cotton and buy at LQS.
                  Shirley :icon_bigsmile:

Comment

It depends on the quilt. I usually try to use Moda Marbles for the backing. It gives it a little character. Also if I ended up with an extra block I sew it on the back.
                    Suzette

Comment

@Suzette--what a neat idea to use your extra blocks!
                      Lisa

"Make it your ambition to lead a quiet life and attend to your own business and work with your hands...." 1 Thessalonians 4:11

Comment

Thanks for the idea.I made one D9P.I'm going to put that on the back.Connie C

Comment

My quilting teacher always made an extra block for the back, and pieced it in, usually on point. Love that, but have yet to do it myself.

I use plain muslin if the quilt is definitely only going to be used on a bed - if no one is going to see it then I treat myself to a 108" or whatever it is. Most of my quilts are for snuggling, tossing on the back of a couch, the back very visible, so I want it to be attractive and coordinate with my front. I snatch up tone on tone type prints whenever they're on sale, as they make nice backs.
                          There's still time to change the road you're on - Led Zeppelin, "Stairway to Heaven"

Comment

If it's a bigger quilt I do go with the wide muslinso i don't have to piece. On my smaller quilts i will match the back when I can. i think it's nice for a baby or lap quilt when you will be more likely to see both sides.
                            “What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world, is and remains immortal.”

― Albert Pine

Comment

I love love love your fabric on your first quilt...was it a pack? May I ask what it is. Nice job

Comment

Working...
                              X