Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jean quilt

Hi!
    I love the rag jean quilt that Jenny did in the rag quilt tutorial. It was backed with jean squares & the rag side is flannel. I want to make this for my grandsons, but the problem is that I'm afraid the ravel part will attract burrs & such when they use it outside. What other fabrics are sturdy enough for backing the jeans? I also have concerns about whether to use batting & sewing through layers that include jeans. I'd love to hear ideas.
    Charlotte

Re: Jean quilt

When making a rag quilt with denim as one of the fabrics, I would not use batting as the denim is plenty thick enough without it. Adding batting would make the quilt really heavy. As for the burrs, you'll have that problem no matter what fabrics you use if you are making a rag quilt.
    K is for Karen 😊​..................
    Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
    T - is it TRUE?
    H - is it HELPFUL?
    I - is it INSPIRING?
    N - is it NECESSARY?
    K - is it KIND?

Comment

Denim is quite heavy, so you don't want to use anything that's too heavy along with the denim. I think the flannel would work fine but regular cotton fabric is also an option.
      sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

I made a jeans rag quilt years ago and didn't know you were supposed to use another fabric. Just used the jeans and nothing else. It is a nice heavy quilt and since I made it from used jeans it is a great car quilt for putting the dogs in the back seat and if DH needs to fix something in an emergency he can lay it on the ground and lay or kneel on it.
        Dolores :lol::icon_heh:

Comment

I made 2 denim/flannel quilts for my son and grandson last Christmas, believe me you don't need anything else, they were heavy!
          Quilts may come, and quilts may go, but the stitches stay the same.:icon_hi:

Comment

Thanks for taking time to answer. I didn't make myself clear - sorry. I've abandoned the rag quilt idea but looking for another way besides flannel to back the quilt. I have very little experience. My question is what fabric & what method to back the quilt?

Comment

I hadn't thought of that. Thanks!

Comment

Working...
              X