Nervous of new project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nervous of new project

Silly really as this is really enjoyable but I wondered if any of you have done any of the projects from the Karen Snyder book "Fat quarter Fun"? I was going to do what I thought would be an easier project - the black and white one - but my Sister would like the jewel box quilt - Fi Fie Fo Fun. We both chose the fabrics for it - not sure that we got it right but you never know unless you try. It is a big quilt and I guess I am just a bit frightened of it. It is 100 by 80 and will be my very first big project. Has anyone any advice to help me on my way. It is all cut up and ready to start sewing. NOW I am even more nervous! I have already done the table runner from the book that was gratefully accepted by a friend. All advice very welcome. I have a Janome 525 machine.
    Many thanks
    Sue

Re: Nervous of new project

Sue, I am just here to be your cheerleader. You are beyond my nervous point, which is the cutting phase. If you buggar a sewing part, that's easy enough to remedy with your seam ripper and do over. You know what they say......Just DO it , that's what I have to tell myself at the fabric cutting stage.
    Lola
    :icon_wave: http://s178.photobucket.com/albums/w278/josews_photos/

Comment

I agree with Lola, the cutting is always the scariest but for me.

The best advice I can give is don't be daunted by the huge pile of fabric. Split it into piles with the pieces for a couple of blocks in each pile (a row is always a good one to go by) and then work on one set at a time. You'll be amazed how quickly you get through it once you get going.
      Quilting through the dull times
      northstarquilting.blogspot.com

Comment

Hmm, the only time I get this nervous is when I have to go for a mammogram...

I can understand your nervousness, but it really is as simple as pick up the first two pieces and take them to the machine...sew. Keep yourself and the fabric organised so you don't get confused and work steadily away at it, it will be together in no time.

Do you have a design wall? It can be very helpful to put the sections up as they are sewed, this keeps them organised and gives you a visual progress report, it can be very encouraging.

My recollection of that design is that it is a repeat of a fairly basic unit so you should be fine, keep smiling, keep sewing...I look forward to you proudly posting a photo.
        Lynn

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain" Anonymous.

Comment

Thank you all for your quick replies. I have already been taught (at a class) the steps that the pattern calls for, not saying that I am any good at them yet, lol. I think that is just the size that scares me. I don't have anywhere for a design wall as the house is rather small. Have already told DH that we will have to move the furniture in the front room to clear the floor to use - that went down well!. Actually he is very supportive. I guess I am jumping ahead of myself and looking for problems, I know that if I have a problem you wonderful people will probably have the answer.
          Sue

Comment

Sue, when I sew it's usually with lots of interruptions, so I may do things you won't have to.
            I like to chain piece my pieces since I have to make a small trek from the sewing room to the ironing board. There just isn't enough room in here for it.
            If I have a block that is a bit complicated, I put the stack of pieces in the actual shape of the block. Then I don't accidentally sew the wrong pieces together. I don't like the task of pinning, but I have found that even one along the seam that is supposed to be sewn is very handy. I run all of the same pieces through one after another, then cut them apart, iron them, and bring them back to the puzzle, I mean block pattern. It may seem like it takes longer to make progress this way, but I have all of the blocks done at about the same time.
            I will use the dining table, living room floor, or my own bed as a layout surface. I have been known to pin a small tag with the row and column position on each block after I have finally determined the best layout. Like A6 or something that makes sense to you. Then I can stack the blocks near the machine and clear the layout surfaces for their original purpose, and not mix up the blocks. Sometimes I have a little helper that likes to look at things, and doesn't always put things back the way they are supposed to be when she is done. So that step is incredibly helpful to my sanity.
            The best way to get better at anything is practice! I am sure your sister will love the quilt when you are finished. It sounds like you already have happy memories of getting it started.
            Good luck with it!
            Cathy
            Be who you are and say what you feel
            because those who mind don't matter,
            and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss

http://www.toggpine.wordpress.com

Comment

Hi Sue, I too have a hard time cutting the fabric. It scares me and it hurts my back to do it. As for room to use a design board, I got 2 yards of white flannel and I tack it up in front of my closet. I use it to lay out the design and then I take it down again. I have a wide closet so I tack it to the moulding over the top of the closet doors. That way you can't see the tack marks. I use straight pins to tack it. You can hardly see the spot where you tack it up and when I am done I take it down, roll it up and put it away. It works great for me. I did zigzag stitch the edge of the flannel so it stays together very well. I also made sure to get the 90 inch wide flannel. It is plenty big enough to use for designing and it doesn't get in the way of the family that way.
              I sew with a Singer Quilting machine. So far it has been a good machine for the small price I paid.
              Someday I would love a Bernina or a phaff. I really loved the Phaff but whew they are expensive!
              The nerves will calm the more you sew. You will do great. The main thing is to have fun and be creative. I had a good friend that used to say "create something new everyday." She was amazing and we all miss her greatly. We lost her in 2006 I think. It's been too long anyway.
              Just have fun and the nerves will disappear. Hugs, Jan
              Home, where each lives for the others and all live for God! ><(((((o>

Comment

Sounds like you've gotten a lot of good advice from some very seasoned quilters. The only thing I would add is this. I have started putting together one whole block before chain piecing just to make sure I've got everything cut right and in the right order and I know what I'm doing is correct. I put that block next to my machine and then I start chain piecing so I can keep an eye out that I'm not piecing things incorrectly. I hate having to re-do work so this has really helped me.
                Goodbye Europe! Hello California! Home sweet home.

Comment

Depending on the pattern, sometimes I run a practice run on cutting or piecing using scraps of material I won't use for anything else that I might of picked up from a yard sale or from a thrift store. Such as the 4 Patch Posie that requires you to cut 4 layers of fabric at one time in a certain way. I put that quilt off for about 2 years or so because of the cutting requirements and didn't want to ruin messing up the good fabric. So, I solved that scarey delima.
                  Most of all have fun and see what you can create. Even if cut wrong or pieced wrong sometimes, you come up with a new idea!

Hugs,
                  http://www.flickr.com/photos/quiltsbytrish
                  http://quiltdreaming.blogspot.com
                  http://pinterest.com/TrishLapp

What if you woke up today and the only things you had were the things you thanked God for yesterday? :icon_hug:quilting trish

Comment

Lay it on your bed,then just pick it up and sew.Connie C

Comment

Deep breath....DIVE in and in no time you will be admiring YOUR amazing talent!!

Comment

You can do it!!!
                        ~Mary
                        As ye sew, so shall ye rip.

Comment

So many supportive answers. Thank you all. Am feeling much more positive today. Have not had a moment in the last few days to do any sewing but now have the afternoon free - so going to sit and enjoy myself with my machine. Wish you all the same fun with all your projects. It is amazing how different fabrics look when sewn together, how different colours change the look of pieces of material and just how enjoyable it is. Gives a real sense of achievment ? spelling. It will take time but seeing the quilt grow and knowing that it is for someone who will really appreciate all the work that has gone into it, and who also knows that you are just starting out makes it really worthwhile.
                          Thank you all once again, hope that as I get more experienced I am able to inspire other people.
                          Sue

Comment

Working...
                          X