Man quilt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Man quilt

Hi everyone, My 16th wedding anniversary is coming up and Hubby always hints that I have never sewn him anything (True, but I have taken up plenty of his suit pants) . I wanted to surprise him with a quilt. PLEASE everyone give me suggestions for a nice Manly printed fabrics and a quick manly quilt block or blocks and colors that look nice together. I'd like as much input as possible. Thank you quilt friends.

Re: Man quilt

We have to know more about him . . . what are his interests? Hobbies? Couch potato, sports fan, tinkers, wall street follower?

Any favorite colors? Is he an outdoorsman, follow NASCAR, want to walk on the moon, spend too much time playing on a computer, abhors modern technology, likes to have manicures, eats chips in bed . . .
    Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
    it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Comment

He's a sports fan of Basketball and Football. His favorite football team is the Green-Bay Packers. He loves to cook, he enjoys electronics like surround sound for movies,Sports, playing video games with our children. His favorite colors are black, white and gray. He's not an outdoorsman but he enjoys action movies.

Comment

Go Packers!!

My husband chose a flannel backing for his blue jean quilt top I made him (recycled jeans) Its a simple quilt based on a FQ pattern.

I think any man would enjoy flannel...no matter what the pattern or colors are!!
        ~Mary
        As ye sew, so shall ye rip.

Comment

Sewsoft, I saw a quilt in a magazine that was supposed to be "manly" and I really liked the look. It called for large square blocks in different neutral tones. It went together super quick and easy, just making rows of blocks. I used charm squares that I cut from yardage since I had some nice neutrals already. Charm squares or a layer cake would look awesome. You could do a nice size lap quilt with any layer cake. If you want to see the quilt I made it's in my album, called Mike's quilt, in 2011 finished projects.

I wish I could suggest a particular line, but that's where Sandy's advice comes in for me. You can have a lot of fun looking for fabrics that go with particular hobbies (fishing, dogs, john deere, etc. etc.) or you could do something more classic in a mix of solids and "manly" looking prints.

If you're looking for fast and easy, you couldn't go wrong with that pattern and a layer cake. Or a particular block might appeal for some reason - I'm dying to make a Drunkard's Path for Mike and I... 20 years ago, we met in a bar :-).

Can't wait to see what other input you get, and what you decide to make. Isn't it exciting to start a new project? When would it have to be completed?
          There's still time to change the road you're on - Led Zeppelin, "Stairway to Heaven"

Comment

Oooh, you could make something really striking with black, white and grey tones, maybe add a splash of color from one of the sports teams and then use team yardage for the back?
            There's still time to change the road you're on - Led Zeppelin, "Stairway to Heaven"

Comment

My Anniversary is April 9th. I know I'm crunched for time, I'm really pushing it!

Comment

No, you have time if you get right on it :-).

Comment

If you're short on time I'd buy a layer cake because you can whip a quilt up really quickly. This tutorial from Jenny shows a really quick quilt which uses a layer cake and a jelly roll.

I always think blue and brown looks manly. Here's 2 options, one modern and one traditional that you can get from here (click the picture to go to the shop). I think they'd both look great in the quilt above with a contrasting plain jelly roll.

Good luck and let us have a peak when you're done!
                  Quilting through the dull times
                  northstarquilting.blogspot.com

Comment

I recently ordered the Java jellyroll from MSQC and just this morning I ordered the yardage for the backing, again from MSQC. I am planning a quilt for my DH for Christmas with it, I think using the twisted strips pattern.
                    Lola
                    :icon_wave: http://s178.photobucket.com/albums/w278/josews_photos/

Comment

If he's a packers fan, I'd go that route. Ahem, my husband always likes Steeler-y things.
                      Lin

Comment

My boyfriend's favorite colors are black, gold, and red (Iron Man colors...coincidence? I think not, he's a big geek) It looks pretty manly. I used a dark red and a vibrant yellow for the gold. I'd post a picture up of it, but I don't have any on my computer at the moment.

Also, A red, blue, and cream quilt done for my parents is't very girly. I attached a picture of that. I think that it is mostly about color choice, but I also think that having larger squares help some too. (Stars look girl-ish to me, but that could just be me)
                        Attached Files

Comment

I love burgundy, dark green, brown and cream for a guys quilt. It's almost like jewel tones very earthy and male. Or burgundy, navy blue, and cream. That works too. I do like that quilt that Jenny just showed in this tutorial. Very nice and easy to do. I'm doing a wall hanging for my husband that has a panel of steam engines (he loves trains) in black, burgundy, dark green and cream. It looks really good. I'm almost done with it. I got to get my son over with his camera so I can post some pictures. Good luck! Hugs, Jan L
                          Home, where each lives for the others and all live for God! ><(((((o>

Comment

Originally posted by jrchapman View Post
                            If you're short on time I'd buy a layer cake because you can whip a quilt up really quickly. This tutorial from Jenny shows a really quick quilt which uses a layer cake and a jelly roll.

I always think blue and brown looks manly. Here's 2 options, one modern and one traditional that you can get from here (click the picture to go to the shop). I think they'd both look great in the quilt above with a contrasting plain jelly roll.

Good luck and let us have a peak when you're done!
                            The result of these great ideas I can show you, I used the Pure jelly roll and layer cake, and took the tutorial from Jenny. My dear husband loves it !
                            Lenie
                            Attached Files

Comment

My husband is a big University of Illinois fan and loves his T-shirt quilt I made him. He even gave up his t-shirts knowing they were coming back to him!

Comment

Working...
                              X