New to quilting and have a question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New to quilting and have a question

I am getting ready to quilt my second quilt. The first I hand quilted. This one I would like to machine quilt. It is a lap quilt 9 patch. I am just starting to read up on machine quilting and would like to know how you start and stop. Do you back stitch like you would if you sew clothing or do you leave enough loose thread so you can knot and pull through by hand? Any suggestions would really be appreciated. Thanks.

Re: New to quilting and have a question

I've seen different methods. One way is to lift the presser foot and stitch in place a few times. Another is to start out on the shortest stitch length for a few stitches and then reset to the stitch length you want to use to complete the row of stitching. I don't think the professionals would backstitch but I do that sometimes. My Janome has a lock-in button. I don't like that it puts a tiny knot on the back of the work. Because of that I don't use it for quilting. Such a shame since it's so easy just to push that button and have the machine do the lock-in. I'm sure you'll get some posts with other ideas. I'll be interested to see what others are doing to secure their stitches.
    Goodbye Europe! Hello California! Home sweet home.

Comment

http://www.generations-quilt-pattern...html#startstop here is a link and also jenny shows it in one of her tutorials I believe
      Patrice

Comment

Patrice, do you know what tutorial Jenny has that in? I've been pulling my threads to the back of the quilt and square knotting there, but my guess is there is another way that is better.
        Lin

Comment

Thanks for you help, I will check out the link.

Comment

Working...
          X