Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thimblelady vs. Roxanne Thimbles! Does anyone out there recommend one over the other?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thimblelady vs. Roxanne Thimbles! Does anyone out there recommend one over the other?

Hello out there fellow Quilters! I am in the market for a truly nice thimble. I have tried ALL of the thimbles available from my local quilt shops and Joanns. They all are not really completely successful. I want a thimble that can Sew, as in regular sewing and also Quilting. I do English Paper Piecing, and want to learn to do Hand quilting. I have been gathering supplies and have noticed that ALL of my thimbles are temporary solutions. I have decided on either the Roxanne Thimble or the "old version" Thimblelady thimble- (not her cone shaped one) as seen on Simply Quilts. But I am nervous about spending so much on a thimble I may not be happy with... Does any Wonderful person out there have both or either Thimble? Which would you recommend? Any pictures would also be nice. Thank you in advance for any help.
    Sincerely, zxylady- Krystal.

P.s. I am adding the websites for these 2 thimbles.

http:// http://www.thimblelady.com/s...r-new-version/

http:// http://www.colonialneedle.co...e_list_roxanne

Re: Thimblelady vs. Roxanne Thimbles! Does anyone out there recommend one over the other?

The links won't open for me. One of my shops the owner has a beautiful collection on her wall. It's like one of those spoon racks you see from peoples travels. Expensive though!
    Lorie

Comment

Re: Thimblelady vs. Roxanne Thimbles! Does anyone out there recommend one over the other?

I've tried all sorts of thimbles but always go back to my old fashioned silver metal thimble. Good luck finding what works for you!

Comment

Back when I had time to hand quilt I bought a Thimblelady thimble and it was wonderful. I got it as a show special at a Quilt show where she was demonstrating. It definitely helped me make smaller stitches.

However in saying that, I would advise waiting til you've got the rhythm and feel of hand quilting before spending so much as your tastes could change. You may even discover one you already have is great after all.

In the meantime the other thimbles I would HIGHLY recommend are the Clover open sided thimbles. They come in sml med and org and are my 'go to' thimbles for all handwork. They'll even accommodate my long nails, many don't.

And when you find a great thimble, go back and buy a spare....they have an annoying habit of hiding!!!

Also, make yourself a thimble bag out of brightly coloured fabric, easier to find

Cheers, Pami

Comment

Lrg (large), not org!!! Lol

Comment

The very, very best thimble I EVER had was one that my MIL found me many, many years ago - and I have no idea where she bought it. It is LEATHER and fits my index finger so perfectly - there's a pad inside so the needles don't pierce - and although I have used it for years, I still grab it when I'm doing bindings and hand applique work. It is wonderful . . . I'll have to take a picture. I've never seen one like it in any stores -
            This is close, but not quite it:
            Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
            it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Comment

I've tried metal, leather, plastic, you name it; I just cannot use a thimble for hand quilting. They all just seem to get in my way. I would love to find one that works as it would save my fingers for sure.
              :icon_wave: Linda
              "Home is where they love you"

Comment

Using a thimble makes my finger feel like it is hurt, and I favor it, and then my sewing is thrown out of rhythm. I do like the little silicon dots, called Poke-A-Dots by Jillily Studio. Works great for me.

Comment

I use the cheapie thimbles from JoAnn's and they work fine for me.....and I have to use a small as my fingers aren't very big!

Comment

I prefer the cheap metal thimbles... The ones with a ridge in top, for controlling the needle. I hand quilt, and sometimes hand piece. I've never had any problems with my metal thimbles.

One thing I like about them is that if I lose or misplace one, it isn't a big deal. Long a fifty-dollar Roxanne Thimbke would definitely be a big deal...

Sandy from Cincinnati

AKA Kermit

Comment

I hear you Sandy. I hesitate to recommend leather thimbles simply because they take so long to break in and form to your finger that its a long while before you can tell you actually like it. I had one years ago that looked promising but it was pinched by someone in a class. I have a leather Clover one still in its pack downstairs I'd clean forgotten about, might dig it out!!

Best thing about leather thimbles? If some sod pinches it it will never fit them right - haha to fore mentioned thief!! :-)))

Comment

I have used a lot of metal thimbles over the years and my favorite is the Roxanne thimble that is open for long nails. It fits snugly and doesn't turn on your finger. Some of the cheaper thimbles felt like bells.......tight at the top but big at the bottom. Keep in mind that I have the silver thimble and it is heavier than most. If I'm not mistaken Roxanne makes a lighter weight one also. Good luck!

Comment

I have a great deal of trouble with thimbles since I'm not used to using them. The one that works best for me are the leather ones but after using them for a while the needle will pierce the leather and dang that hurts!!! Sandy, I covet your leather thimble. It looks ideal! Maybe you should market it. Here's one I've been considering. Back to Thimbles and? uh?. Finger Gloves ? Needle?nThread.com
                          Goodbye Europe! Hello California! Home sweet home.

Comment

I used a Roxanne thimble when I hand quilted. They come in different sizes like rings. I found it to be a little heavy for my liking. I think I have every thimble ever made...lol! I currently use a generic plastic thimble from JoAnn that costs less than $1. They are usually kept in baskets in the notions department. I have small fingers so when I get it home I drop it in some boiling water for a few seconds and then carefully slip it on my finger and mold it a little to get a better fit. This thimble is open on the top in case you have longer fingernails.

Thimbles.jpg

Thimbles2.jpg

I can't locate my Roxanne thimble right now. I may have left it with a project somewhere.
                            Last edited by Bubby; May 20th, 2014, 04:32 AM.
                            sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

I've been using the Clover open sided thimble. I like that my entire finger isn't enclosed is metal.

Open Sided Thimbles | Clover Needlecraft, Inc.

Comment

Working...
                              X