Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Exercises for wrists sore from hand quilting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Andrilla
    replied
    Re: Exercises for wrists sore from hand quilting?

Oh, I'll justify the cost somehow. I'm really good at saving money (translation: I'm cheap, except with specific things), and if I ask my family to put money towards that for Christmas/birthdays/graduation with my masters degree (and almost no student loans!), then that should chop off a good bit of the cost over a couple of years. I've seen some for $5,000, better looking ones for $7,000, and that is just browsing around without really looking into brand names or considering used machines. It will be years before I get it, but I WILL get one.

Leave a comment:

• Connie Chamberlain
    replied

I would make a rice bag,then just heat it and put it on you wrist.

Leave a comment:

• Sandy Navas
    replied

Originally posted by Andrilla View Post
    I'll check them out! I hope to eventually get one of the big machines that are super expensive and take up the whole side of a room. They attack to a quilt rack, and I'm doing a terrible job describing it, but that is what I want. A Mennonite (or maybe Old German Baptist, there are a lot of different groups near here..) told me that the machine cost ore than her car. I REALLY want one of those.
    We all REALLY want one and wish we could justify the cost . . .

Leave a comment:

• Andrilla
    replied

Originally posted by Sandy Navas View Post
    Andrilla - just hang around, keep reading posts, we're most of us in the same boat with you. Check out some of the stitch in the ditch tutorials, then some free motion quilting . . . it will become natural for you . . . as I hope it becomes for me, too.
    I'll check them out! I hope to eventually get one of the big machines that are super expensive and take up the whole side of a room. They attack to a quilt rack, and I'm doing a terrible job describing it, but that is what I want. A Mennonite (or maybe Old German Baptist, there are a lot of different groups near here..) told me that the machine cost ore than her car. I REALLY want one of those.

Leave a comment:

• Connie Chamberlain
    replied

Lynn,that's all i do is machine quilt.Just put the feed dogs down and practice.I'm new here. Connie

Leave a comment:

• Sandy Navas
    replied

Andrilla - just hang around, keep reading posts, we're most of us in the same boat with you. Check out some of the stitch in the ditch tutorials, then some free motion quilting . . . it will become natural for you . . . as I hope it becomes for me, too.

Leave a comment:

• Andrilla
    replied

Originally posted by Dragonfly View Post
    NO NO! worst case scenario, you quilt more with your machine. I know it's not the same as hand quilted which is an art in it's own right, but machine work can be amazing as well...let the machine do the work, that's why we invented them after all.
    But I don't know how to machine quilt. I already learned how to machine piece. I originally hurt my hand when I was hand sewing, so moving to machine piecing helped a lot with that. But machine quilting is something I have not been able to figure out.

Leave a comment:

• Dragonfly
    replied

Sewbee, love and hugs to you as well, sadly cancer is all too prevalent in our lives now, I'm pleased that the lymphedema hasn't deterred you. May God bless the man that invented the sewing machine, he was definitely a keeper, even if he did do it for commercial reasons rather than to make his wife's live more enjoyable.

Leave a comment:

• Sewbee
    replied

Sorry to sidetrack the thread...Sandy it does improve slowly but it is never 'quite' the same again. You may not have seen it as it is a side-effect of the Taxane group of drugs and they have only been used in recent times, and not always used, they are the top end drugs for breast cancer, there are kinder alternatives that are used where possible. My love and hugs to your friend Donna.
    Having had 2 separate cancer diagnosis myself since 2000 which both included Taxane chemo resulting in peripheral neuropathy plus the additional side effect of Lymphedema in my left hand and arm, I can identify with the hand quilting issues! My fingers just won't work like they should when trying to do fine motor skills. I have accepted the fact that I need to get good at machine quilting if I wish to continue this hobby. Being a new quilter and one who does not hold more traditional ideas about the necessity for hand quilting, I am just fine with doing as much as I can by machine. I already wear a compression sleeve and glove daily for my Lymphedema which makes handwork more difficult but it is a necessity. I just ordered the Paean Veritas Finger Gloves in hopes they will help protect my fingers from needle sticks plus aid in gripping fabrics when sewing.

Andrilla, don't do less quilting! There are lots of options and compromises that will still allow us to do the crafting we love!

Leave a comment:

• Dragonfly
    replied

Originally posted by Sandy Navas View Post
    Lynn - I have a dear friend who just went through chemo and has peripheral neuropathy, too. Interesting that I used to work with an oncologist (many years ago) and spent my working life in the medical field and yet had never heard that this was a side-effect of chemo. And I guess once its there it stays. I know what Donna has been through with it and my heart goes out to you.
    Sorry to sidetrack the thread...Sandy it does improve slowly but it is never 'quite' the same again. You may not have seen it as it is a side-effect of the Taxane group of drugs and they have only been used in recent times, and not always used, they are the top end drugs for breast cancer, there are kinder alternatives that are used where possible. My love and hugs to your friend Donna.

Leave a comment:

• Dragonfly
    replied

Worst case scenario, I quilt less.
    NO NO! worst case scenario, you quilt more with your machine. I know it's not the same as hand quilted which is an art in it's own right, but machine work can be amazing as well...let the machine do the work, that's why we invented them after all.

Leave a comment:

• Andrilla
    replied

Thank you everyone for your help. I think that I may talk to a doctor about it. I'm hoping that it isn't anything serious, it has beenligoing on for almost a year now. It was really bugging me this weekend because I forgot my gloves at my apartment. Worst case scenario, I quilt less.

Leave a comment:

• Sandy Navas
    replied

I then went and added insult to injury by needing chemo which resulted in peripheral neuropathy to my hands and feet...result = I avoid hand work where possible. But like you it doesn't stop me, I may even have quilting supplies put in my coffin...just in case.
    Lynn - I have a dear friend who just went through chemo and has peripheral neuropathy, too. Interesting that I used to work with an oncologist (many years ago) and spent my working life in the medical field and yet had never heard that this was a side-effect of chemo. And I guess once its there it stays. I know what Donna has been through with it and my heart goes out to you.

On another note, I love your idea of taking quilting supplies with you . . .

Leave a comment:

• mamaquilt
    replied

Ok, thanks for the help! I do have a set of gloves, although they aren't specifically craft gloves. They are supposed to help with arthritis and such (I don't have arthritis, but I figured that there wouldn't be much difference) that I got at walmart. They look like these http://www.wilton.com/store/site/pro...A9A2011B1E2439 They do help some, but not too much.
    Is there much difference between those gloves and the types of gloves that you guys are recommending?
    THANKS FOR THE TIP; MIGHT HAVE TO GET SOME AS WELL

Leave a comment:

• mamaquilt
    replied

It's interesting Sandy, mines not carpel either, nor arthritis. The best they can figure is that a combination of factors are causing it, starting with me having very tiny wrists. Add to this that repetitive actions tends to build up fluid in the wrist (as some sports people experience, they call it 'pumped wrist'), the result is that the nerve channel is squished, causing pain, tingling and numbness. I then went and added insult to injury by needing chemo which resulted in peripheral neuropathy to my hands and feet...result = I avoid hand work where possible. But like you it doesn't stop me, I may even have quilting supplies put in my coffin...just in case.

The gloves do definitely help with the fluid problem.
    THAT IS A VERY INTERESTING SUBJECT ABOUT THOSE GLOVES. I THINK I'LL HAVE TO GET SOME AS WELL AFTER THE FRACTURE IS HEALED. I GOT THE CARPEL TUNNEL OPERATED ALONG WITH MY FRACTURE; FOR THE SECOND TIME ALREADY ON MY RIGHT HAND.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X