Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Exercises for wrists sore from hand quilting?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Exercises for wrists sore from hand quilting?

    I've managed to hurt my wrists quilting. I'm good as long as I don't quilt for too long, but I generally don't realize how long is too long until it is too late. Other times my hand hurts, same thing, too much quilting.

    Anyone have any exercises or stretches that strengthen or relax hands and wrists?

    Thank you in advance for your answers!

    #2
    Re: Exercises for wrists sore from hand quilting?

    Hi there
    I have found that when I am hand stitching anything for a while my hands and fingers hurt. It is worth the investment to purchase some sewing gloves. They look like fingerless gloves but reinforce like support hose your wrists. They come in different lengths for the the wrists; in other words some go further up the forearm. Here is a link to a picture of the type I have.
    http://www.allbrands.com/products/abp12465.html
    and another link:
    http://www.google.com/products/catal...d=0CFUQ8wIwBA#

    You really don't realize how much they can help until you have used them for awhile and then try to stitch without them.
    I so enjoy hand stitching and encourage you to try a pair. Sometimes a LQS will have them. I think Joann's sells a different brand and you may be able to use a coupon for a price break. I am certain other crafty stores and the eternal Wal-let store carries them as well.
    Many blessings
    Blondie
    Sewing mends the soul.
    sigpic


    Do the math; count your blessings
    Laughing is good exercise. It's like jogging on the inside.

    http://pinterest.com/vintageprims/boards/ Unless we are creating we are not fully alive
    ~ Madeleine L'Engle

    Comment


      #3
      Re: Exercises for wrists sore from hand quilting?

      DD bought me some for Christmas. They really do help.
      “What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world, is and remains immortal.”

      ― Albert Pine

      Comment


        #4
        Re: Exercises for wrists sore from hand quilting?

        This is the brand I use, http://www.amazon.com/Handeze-Therap.../dp/B0001DS2VA I've been using them for many years now and they are an absolute godsend for people with bad wrist/hands. I have several pairs stashed in various places so they are always close at hand (pun intended lol).

        But be aware there are different sizes and you need to get a correctly fitting pair or they will either do nothing or restrict your circulation.
        Lynn

        "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain" Anonymous.

        Comment


          #5
          Re: Exercises for wrists sore from hand quilting?

          Ok, thanks for the help! I do have a set of gloves, although they aren't specifically craft gloves. They are supposed to help with arthritis and such (I don't have arthritis, but I figured that there wouldn't be much difference) that I got at walmart. They look like these http://www.wilton.com/store/site/pro...A9A2011B1E2439 They do help some, but not too much.
          Is there much difference between those gloves and the types of gloves that you guys are recommending?

          Comment


            #6
            Re: Exercises for wrists sore from hand quilting?

            From the description on that link I'd say they are about the same thing.

            Have you considered seeing a physiotherapist about your hands, there are some specific exercises to strengthen hands (I was never very good at doing them though). The other culprit for hurting hands when doing repetitive things is carpel tunnel, which sadly requires surgery if it is the problem.

            I hope you find some sort of answer, it is never fun to have hands that hurt, I've had to live with it for many years, it can be so frustrating.
            Lynn

            "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain" Anonymous.

            Comment


              #7
              Re: Exercises for wrists sore from hand quilting?

              I wish you well with your wrist and hand pain. I've been suffering for close to two months now. X-rays showed only minimal arthritic changes and the doctor has me in an ACE splint and on Aleve for two weeks. I am 10 days into my treatment - and if it doesn't work I'm going to keep hand stitching and putting up with the pain! So there!! I was concerned about a ganglion but that is not the case, nor is mine carpal tunnel. I do believe the gloves help tremendously and highly recommend them.
              Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
              it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

              "...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

              Comment


                #8
                Re: Exercises for wrists sore from hand quilting?

                It's interesting Sandy, mines not carpel either, nor arthritis. The best they can figure is that a combination of factors are causing it, starting with me having very tiny wrists. Add to this that repetitive actions tends to build up fluid in the wrist (as some sports people experience, they call it 'pumped wrist'), the result is that the nerve channel is squished, causing pain, tingling and numbness. I then went and added insult to injury by needing chemo which resulted in peripheral neuropathy to my hands and feet...result = I avoid hand work where possible. But like you it doesn't stop me, I may even have quilting supplies put in my coffin...just in case.

                The gloves do definitely help with the fluid problem.
                Lynn

                "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain" Anonymous.

                Comment


                  #9
                  Re: Exercises for wrists sore from hand quilting?

                  Originally posted by Dragonfly View Post
                  It's interesting Sandy, mines not carpel either, nor arthritis. The best they can figure is that a combination of factors are causing it, starting with me having very tiny wrists. Add to this that repetitive actions tends to build up fluid in the wrist (as some sports people experience, they call it 'pumped wrist'), the result is that the nerve channel is squished, causing pain, tingling and numbness. I then went and added insult to injury by needing chemo which resulted in peripheral neuropathy to my hands and feet...result = I avoid hand work where possible. But like you it doesn't stop me, I may even have quilting supplies put in my coffin...just in case.

                  The gloves do definitely help with the fluid problem.
                  THAT IS A VERY INTERESTING SUBJECT ABOUT THOSE GLOVES. I THINK I'LL HAVE TO GET SOME AS WELL AFTER THE FRACTURE IS HEALED. I GOT THE CARPEL TUNNEL OPERATED ALONG WITH MY FRACTURE; FOR THE SECOND TIME ALREADY ON MY RIGHT HAND.
                  sigpicgreetings from the Grand Duchy of Luxembourg

                  Michèle

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Re: Exercises for wrists sore from hand quilting?

                    Originally posted by Andrilla View Post
                    Ok, thanks for the help! I do have a set of gloves, although they aren't specifically craft gloves. They are supposed to help with arthritis and such (I don't have arthritis, but I figured that there wouldn't be much difference) that I got at walmart. They look like these http://www.wilton.com/store/site/pro...A9A2011B1E2439 They do help some, but not too much.
                    Is there much difference between those gloves and the types of gloves that you guys are recommending?
                    THANKS FOR THE TIP; MIGHT HAVE TO GET SOME AS WELL
                    sigpicgreetings from the Grand Duchy of Luxembourg

                    Michèle

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Re: Exercises for wrists sore from hand quilting?

                      Originally posted by Dragonfly View Post
                      I then went and added insult to injury by needing chemo which resulted in peripheral neuropathy to my hands and feet...result = I avoid hand work where possible. But like you it doesn't stop me, I may even have quilting supplies put in my coffin...just in case.
                      Lynn - I have a dear friend who just went through chemo and has peripheral neuropathy, too. Interesting that I used to work with an oncologist (many years ago) and spent my working life in the medical field and yet had never heard that this was a side-effect of chemo. And I guess once its there it stays. I know what Donna has been through with it and my heart goes out to you.

                      On another note, I love your idea of taking quilting supplies with you . . .
                      Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
                      it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

                      "...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Re: Exercises for wrists sore from hand quilting?

                        Thank you everyone for your help. I think that I may talk to a doctor about it. I'm hoping that it isn't anything serious, it has beenligoing on for almost a year now. It was really bugging me this weekend because I forgot my gloves at my apartment. Worst case scenario, I quilt less.

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Re: Exercises for wrists sore from hand quilting?

                          Originally posted by Andrilla View Post
                          Worst case scenario, I quilt less.
                          NO NO! worst case scenario, you quilt more with your machine. I know it's not the same as hand quilted which is an art in it's own right, but machine work can be amazing as well...let the machine do the work, that's why we invented them after all.
                          Lynn

                          "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain" Anonymous.

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Re: Exercises for wrists sore from hand quilting?

                            Originally posted by Sandy Navas View Post
                            Lynn - I have a dear friend who just went through chemo and has peripheral neuropathy, too. Interesting that I used to work with an oncologist (many years ago) and spent my working life in the medical field and yet had never heard that this was a side-effect of chemo. And I guess once its there it stays. I know what Donna has been through with it and my heart goes out to you.
                            Sorry to sidetrack the thread...Sandy it does improve slowly but it is never 'quite' the same again. You may not have seen it as it is a side-effect of the Taxane group of drugs and they have only been used in recent times, and not always used, they are the top end drugs for breast cancer, there are kinder alternatives that are used where possible. My love and hugs to your friend Donna.
                            Lynn

                            "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain" Anonymous.

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Re: Exercises for wrists sore from hand quilting?

                              Originally posted by Dragonfly View Post
                              Sorry to sidetrack the thread...Sandy it does improve slowly but it is never 'quite' the same again. You may not have seen it as it is a side-effect of the Taxane group of drugs and they have only been used in recent times, and not always used, they are the top end drugs for breast cancer, there are kinder alternatives that are used where possible. My love and hugs to your friend Donna.
                              Having had 2 separate cancer diagnosis myself since 2000 which both included Taxane chemo resulting in peripheral neuropathy plus the additional side effect of Lymphedema in my left hand and arm, I can identify with the hand quilting issues! My fingers just won't work like they should when trying to do fine motor skills. I have accepted the fact that I need to get good at machine quilting if I wish to continue this hobby. Being a new quilter and one who does not hold more traditional ideas about the necessity for hand quilting, I am just fine with doing as much as I can by machine. I already wear a compression sleeve and glove daily for my Lymphedema which makes handwork more difficult but it is a necessity. I just ordered the Paean Veritas Finger Gloves in hopes they will help protect my fingers from needle sticks plus aid in gripping fabrics when sewing.

                              Andrilla, don't do less quilting! There are lots of options and compromises that will still allow us to do the crafting we love!
                              Linda
                              -its not the number of breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away!

                              sigpic

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X