Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are your favorite quilting notions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What are your favorite quilting notions?

What do you use the most and can't do without?

Re: What are your favorite quilting notions?

Three things: 1) my cutting table, 2) my ruler(s), and 3) my rotary cutter(s).

It don't get no better than that.
    Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
    it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Comment

I love all my special rulers, like Dresden ruler, circle ruler and 6 x 24 inch ruler. Also love my rotating cutting mat and my rotary cutter. And of course my machine. Hugs, Jan L
      Home, where each lives for the others and all live for God! ><(((((o>

Comment

seam ripper... call mine by name...Jack
        all the best
        Gina

Comment

My seam ripper, rotary cutter, ruler, cutting mat, binding tool, sewing machine and ironing board. But of course now my Accuquilt Go Machine. My sweet husband bought me one for Christmas.

Lynne Leavell

Comment

The binding tool I purchased from MSQC. It makes finishing the binding so easy! Also the itty bitty brite lite I attached to my machine. It gives a nice bright light.

Comment

Gina -
              Seam ripper - Jack
              Thanks for the laugh!

I love the spray adhesive and my rulers and cutting mat.
              Mary :icon_hi:

Love is the thread that mends worn hearts.

Comment

OK, beyond the mat, rotary cutter, and rulers, I'd have to say my bamboo skewer. Yeah, the thing you use to make shiesh-kabobs on the grill.
                It keeps my fingers from having to jam under the sewing foot to get the last bits of fabric through the machine and keep that 1/4" seam allowance. It helps when making small pieces turn corners. It flips the seam allowance back the right direction under the presser foot when it goes the wrong way. I also use it to pull the bobbin thread through when I change threads. All of that for about $0.02.
                I used to use my seam riper for some of those tasks, but the handle was pretty short, and the sewing machine needles break if you accidentally hit it.
                After that I'd say my marking pencils. I use a regular mechanical pencil, and the fatter wooden ones with the dress makers chalk cores in blue, pink, and white. I have also used a white gel pen for dark fabrics.
                I also love my Marti Michell quilting templates. I can quilt without them, but they make it so much easier to get sharp points and well matched joins that I use them when ever I can.
                I am sure there are many other things I would miss if I didn't have them!
                Be who you are and say what you feel
                because those who mind don't matter,
                and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss

http://www.toggpine.wordpress.com

Comment

Seam ripper - name is LuLu cause that's what I feel like when I make a silly mistake.

Hugs,
                  http://www.flickr.com/photos/quiltsbytrish
                  http://quiltdreaming.blogspot.com
                  http://pinterest.com/TrishLapp

What if you woke up today and the only things you had were the things you thanked God for yesterday? :icon_hug:quilting trish

Comment

Many of the things That were mentioned before, but also a thimble!
                    Lin

Comment

Originally posted by ginampls View Post
                      seam ripper... call mine by name...Jack
                      Would I sound totally crazy if I said my sewing machine has a name (Quentin B. Catrone) and also his very own face book page?

~Mary
                      As ye sew, so shall ye rip.

Comment

Well my first love is my machine - but after that I am really loving my dresden tool and the Simple EZ binding tool. I have another one for making spiffy matching ends when binding - but I haven't figured that one out yet!

Comment

Mary that level of devotion to your machine is ... um ... impressive.

Would you care to elaborate on the reason behind the name? Inquiring minds want to know!

OK, just darned nosey!
                          Be who you are and say what you feel
                          because those who mind don't matter,
                          and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss

http://www.toggpine.wordpress.com

Comment

Don't forget the wonderful bias binding tools! It's hard for me to say which tool is my favorite. Each one becomes my favorite as it's doing its job. I have to say I've used lots of different seam rippers but I've discovered the one made by Clover with the white handle and black ridged rubber grip is my absolute favorite. It's nice and sharp and very thin so it gets into those tiny stitches really well. It's a little pricier than the typical ones but well worth the extra bit of cash. Somewhere I recently saw someone using a different technique I'd never seen before to remove stitches. I've been putting it into practice and it works really well. It's so simple and takes away the fear of ripping the fabric. On one side of the stitching slip the ripper under every 3rd or 4th stitch along the seam cutting the stitches as you go. At the end, just separate the seam and gently pull. The seam will come apart. I don't know who or where this tip came from but it works really well for me. Such a simple thing! Why I didn't figure it out myself is beyond me.
                            Goodbye Europe! Hello California! Home sweet home.

Comment

Originally posted by rebeccas-sewing View Post
                              Don't forget the wonderful bias binding tools! It's hard for me to say which tool is my favorite. Each one becomes my favorite as it's doing its job. I have to say I've used lots of different seam rippers but I've discovered the one made by Clover with the white handle and black ridged rubber grip is my absolute favorite. It's nice and sharp and very thin so it gets into those tiny stitches really well. It's a little pricier than the typical ones but well worth the extra bit of cash. Somewhere I recently saw someone using a different technique I'd never seen before to remove stitches. I've been putting it into practice and it works really well. It's so simple and takes away the fear of ripping the fabric. On one side of the stitching slip the ripper under every 3rd or 4th stitch along the seam cutting the stitches as you go. At the end, just separate the seam and gently pull. The seam will come apart. I don't know who or where this tip came from but it works really well for me. Such a simple thing! Why I didn't figure it out myself is beyond me.
                              You-Tube (Ripping out unwanted stitches demo) shows this technique
                              Goodbye Europe! Hello California! Home sweet home.

Comment

Working...
                              X