Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hand Sewn Binding--How does it hold up??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hand Sewn Binding--How does it hold up??

I usually hand sew my binding when I give a quilt as a gift, it just looks so much nicer than my machine sewn. But, I worry that it may come apart after its washed. I've only given two quilts away as gifts and I'm sure they wouldn't tell me if the binding had come loose. Generally does binding stay on during washings?
    Lisa

"Make it your ambition to lead a quiet life and attend to your own business and work with your hands...." 1 Thessalonians 4:11

Re: Hand Sewn Binding--How does it hold up??

I machine sew the binding to the front and then wrap the finished edge around to the back where I hand sew it down. One of my first full sized quilts is still doing fine. Bug Jars for my then 10 year old step-son, has been machine washed & dried several times in the last 9 years. It has been made into forts, super hero capes, and generally well used. I have only had one problem with it, and that wasn't with the binding. (My seam allowances have gotten much better over the years!)
    I'd say that hand-sewn binding, if done well, should be just fine.
    Be who you are and say what you feel
    because those who mind don't matter,
    and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss

http://www.toggpine.wordpress.com

Comment

My concern is when I have to stop and add new thread. I give several stitches in space. Is there a neat little trick that I don't know about? Some special knot? Pull the thread through?
      Lisa

"Make it your ambition to lead a quiet life and attend to your own business and work with your hands...." 1 Thessalonians 4:11

Comment

Not sure if this how it's supposed to be done, but when I get near the end of my thread I make a knot and tug it through the fabric like the beginning knot. Then start the new thread the same way.

Curious to find out what others do.
        Shelia

Comment

Originally posted by Texsam View Post
          Not sure if this how it's supposed to be done, but when I get near the end of my thread I make a knot and tug it through the fabric like the beginning knot. Then start the new thread the same way.

Curious to find out what others do.
          That's how I do it, too.

I do question though, whether most use one thread or doubled thread to stitch the binding on by hand???
          Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
          it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Comment

Originally posted by Sandy Navas View Post
            That's how I do it, too.

I do question though, whether most use one thread or doubled thread to stitch the binding on by hand???

I bury my knots as well (under the binding)....and I use a single strand thread to stitch my binding.
            Michele

Comment

I hide my knot under the binding and use a single thread. Something somebody told me and I now do is, every 5-10 stitches knot your thread. That way IF it starts to come apart only a few stitches will come out. I always wash my quilts before I give them to the recipeant (sp?). That way it's nice and fresh. Plus I can check for anything that may have come undone. I have a funny story. Last year I made a quilt for my brother & his wife's wedding present. I had finished it and was going to wash it the next day. I went to bed and dreamed that I washed it and when I opened the washer it had fallen all apart. Boy did I laugh at myself.
              Suzette

Comment

I also use 2 strands of thread - figure it makes it stronger.
                I'm sure yours will be just fine. I sew it on the front and bring it around to the back and hand sew it down. I knot it at the beginning and end burying the knots under the binding.

Hugs,
                http://www.flickr.com/photos/quiltsbytrish
                http://quiltdreaming.blogspot.com
                http://pinterest.com/TrishLapp

What if you woke up today and the only things you had were the things you thanked God for yesterday? :icon_hug:quilting trish

Comment

I use a single thread and bury the knots under the binding. I have quilts that i made nearly 30 yrs ago and the binding is still fine. these are quilts that were used by my kids and have been washed many times.
                  “What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world, is and remains immortal.”

― Albert Pine

Comment

I don't pull my knots through--I just hide them in the binding--I think I'll start pulling through.
                    Lisa

Comment

I machine stitch my binding to the front and hand stitch in the back. If I am making a wall hanging or
                      a fancier quilt I use a finer thread. Quilts that we are going to use and wash often I use a heavier thread. The Grandkids quilts (laps) I sew down with a waxed thread. They get washed often! Never had a problem with them.
                      Last edited by roseytoes; March 1, 2011, 10:23 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X