10 inch ruler question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

10 inch ruler question

Ladies I have a question. I want to purchase a ruler that will help me cut 10 inch squares. I have a straight ruler, but I really want one that is square so I can just rotary cut around it. However I have seen 9.5 inch square rulers and 10.5 inch square rulers. How do you use the 10.5 inch to cut exactly 10 inch squares? Forgive me for being so dense, but I am new and can't picture this. LOL! A non-geometric person trying to put together a nice quilt. Should be a hoot! I know I can purchase layer cakes, but my Mom bought some fat quarters that she wants to cut up and make some 10 inch squares from. Any ideas or suggestions on rulers would be helpful. THANKS!

Lisa K.

Re: 10 inch ruler question

Look at the "Shape Cut" ruler by June Taylor. You can cut up to 12 inch squares with it. Usually your local quilt shop will carry them. Good Luck.

Lynne.

Comment

I really don't have an answer for you, other than saying that if you have a 10.5 inch ruler the resulting square, when sewn together, will be 10 inches. If you cut 10 inch squares the result, after sewing, will be 9.5 inches . . . this may help you decide which square you need.
      Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
      it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Comment

I would use the same technique I use to square up a block.

Maybe this you tube video will help?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nX-h8...889E911F26CD50

Use the 10" mark on the ruler.
        ~Mary
        As ye sew, so shall ye rip.

Comment

Lisa,
          The 10.5" ruler can be used to make 10" squares. The extra 1/2" comes from the 1/4" seam allowance added to each side.
          If you want a 10" square (layer cake size) then square up one edge and trim off one selvedge, or if your fat quarters don't have one, even up the adjoining edge. Place your square ruler so that 1/2" hangs over the two squared up edges. Then trim along the other two edges. Save the scraps for borders or to make charm squares.
          If you have yardage, you can cut a 10" wide strip the width of the fabric (WOF) and then trim it down to 10" squares from there.
          I think it would be easier to stack a few fat quarters (FQ) and then trim them at one time.
          Have fun!
          Be who you are and say what you feel
          because those who mind don't matter,
          and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss

http://www.toggpine.wordpress.com

Comment

Not knowing what pattern you are using, but a FQ is 18 x 22, so if you cut a nine inch strip then turn it and cut two more times to get 2 nine inch squares. You won't have as much scraps left over. But, if you need the 10" you would cut ten inch strip and then turn and cut it again for ten inch square. Hope this makes sense??
            Leisa
            From ~ Gateway to Yosemite Nat'l Park, CA

Comment

I would get a longer ruler fold your fabric in half. square it up and strip cut them in 10 in strips and cut those strips in 10 in squares. You could lay 3 folded strips on top of each other and cut them all at once
              Patrice

Comment

i looked to see if they carry the long rulers. I didn't see one. Im not near mine but I believe it is at least 20 in to 22 in long. It is a must have for me for cutting http://quilting.about.com/od/rotaryc...ing_strips.htm
                Patrice

Comment

Working...
                X