Vanilla and Blooms Pattern Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vanilla and Blooms Pattern Question

I've fallen in love again! Fig Tree's Breakfast at Tiffany's has stolen my heart.

The pattern Vanilla and Blooms looks difficult. Could someone explain how
    this quilt comes together? Is there a speedy method that makes it easy? I have
    looked for the pattern but the descriptions don't tell exactly how it is assembled.
    I am a beginning quilter so I need to know if this quilt would be something I would
    want to tackle (without frustration).

Thank in advance for any advice.

'Genie in WV

Re: Vanilla and Blooms Pattern Question

I don't think I would do it without a pattern but it couldn't be to difficult if its made with a jellyroll. very pretty
    Patrice

Comment

Here is a picture of the quilt I in which I am interested. The name is actually Vanilla Cakes. It is the larger of the two quilts.

Comment

I couldn't get the image to load. Correction: It is the whole quilt in the inset picture.

http://figtreequilts.com/details.php...224&category=5

Comment

Pagenie, I can't get a clear enough enlarged image to see exactly how they have pieced the main block but there is a relatively easy option to get that effect that requires just squares and a few connector corners so it is achievable by a beginner. The alternate block is just a plain square, utilzing the layer cake which is 10" cut and 9.5" finished and although it appears to be set on point it is actually a straight set so would be very easy to assemble.

I think you could fairly safely buy this pattern.
          Last edited by Dragonfly; February 26, 2011, 06:48 PM. Reason: added a bit
          Lynn

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain" Anonymous.

Comment

It looks like a version of a drunkards path set around the same colored center square. That is where the curved pieces come in. The other quilt looks like it is made with the "leftovers".
            The curved seams aren't that hard as long as you pin them and take your time. You should be able to make the pattern even as a beginner. I'd make a practice block to make sure you have it, before you cut all of your material. I often do this with a new pattern to find the tricky parts.
            Be who you are and say what you feel
            because those who mind don't matter,
            and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss

http://www.toggpine.wordpress.com

Comment

I think if you enlarge the picture of the mostly cream quilt you will find there is no curved piecing, they are all straight seams that give the illusion of curves. It is like an unequal nine patch where the four corner pieces and the centre are the feature fabric and the four in between pieces are cream. The four cream pieces have connector corners on the two inside corners (which gives the curve look) in the feature fabric. It would be similar if you put four bow tie blocks together but in this case I think the centre and in between blocks have been cut slightly larger and arranged as a nine patch. My guess is that the centre piece is 3.5" sq, the corners are 3" sq and the in between pieces are 3x3.5", Although the cream blocks look slightly larger than that, but that would be the easiest combination to get to a 9.5" block.

The quilt with the larger amount of colour is simply a reverse of the mostly cream one.
              Lynn

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain" Anonymous.

Comment

Here is another of their patterns which is a straight pieced version of the drunkards path.
                http://figtreequilts.com/details.php...141&category=9

I like this one as I've always admired the drunkards path quilt but dislike curved piecing.
                Lynn

Comment

I have made the Vanilla & Blooms pattern several times because it is so easy! Really. And her pattern instructions are great. Go for it, you will love it. I used layer cakes and before I knew it it was done.

Comment

Here is a link to a close up of the 2 blocks --- one is just a layer cake, the other is the only piecing required.

stuph?from?steph: . . . quilt blocks! | Quilt ideas | Pinterest

Comment

It looks like the corners of some of the blocks are snowballed. Once put together, it gives the illusion of being curved.

Comment

I can not get these links to load, I keep getting the dreaded NOT FOUND page. and I looked at the pinterest page, but i'm not sure what I'm looking for.

I must be having a difficult day....nothing is coming easy.

Comment

If the pic below is the quilt pattern you are talking about, I see larger squares of print fabric alternating with "X" blocks made up of 4 bow-tie blocks. There are two different print fabrics in each bow-tie block that match the squares that bow-tie is next to.

vanilla cake quilt.jpg
                          *~* Myrna *~*
                          *~* Quilters lead pieceful lives *~*

Comment

Originally posted by Slokarma View Post
                            I can not get these links to load, I keep getting the dreaded NOT FOUND page. and I looked at the pinterest page, but i'm not sure what I'm looking for.

I must be having a difficult day....nothing is coming easy.
                            I had the same problem.
                            Hugs,
                            Joanne

There are no mistakes, only happy accidents. - Bob Ross

A girl needs to surround herself with TONS of happiness.
                            Happiness = fabric!:icon_woohoo:

Comment

This link should work:

Vanilla & Blooms Downloadable

cute pattern
                              Debbie

Comment

Working...
                              X