?????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

?????

I have made a king size quilt. I have it in three sections and am going to quilt each section on my machine and then sew them all together. my question is should i add the inner and outer border to each section or wait till i have them quilted and sewn together and then add both borders. The borders will probably have to be pieced anyway as big as it is but if I wait till I sew them all together it would be less piecing. what do you think?
    Patrice

Re: ?????

Hey Patrice
    Have you ever seen Marti Michell's book Machine Quilting in Sections? It is compelling for those of us who don't handle lots of fabric, batting and backing because of the bulk and weight.
    Perhaps your library has a copy. I found one recently at a Goodwill for a buck. Best money I spent that day.
    Blondie
    Sewing mends the soul.
    sigpic

Do the math; count your blessings
    Laughing is good exercise. It's like jogging on the inside.

http://pinterest.com/vintageprims/boards/ Unless we are creating we are not fully alive
    ~ Madeleine L'Engle

Comment

In my meager experience I would quilt the pieces fully before attaching them....

My reason is this --> unless you are experienced on attaching the quilted pieces together, it may get difficult.

When making a king sized quilt for myself, I completed the patchwork top and was very pleased. My machine would NEVER be able to quilt the full size of a king, and I do NOT have the experience of quilting in sections yet....so I ended up making a duvet cover (which allowed me to use my duvet once again - YEAH!). Due to the fact that the top was patchwork, I was concerned with the pull and stretch on the patchwork top, so I added a light layer under the patchwork (sewn to the back of the top), and then added my bottom layer. In this way, it allowed me to complete a full king sized quilt (duvet cover) on my machine. My only other option would be paying for long arm stitching, which at this point I cannot afford.

Hope this helps.
      Selina

Comment

thanks so much and I just heard about the book and ordered it yesterday. so I will wait till it comes in
        Patrice

Comment

Selina
          You make a lot of sense. When I made the last HUGE quilt, I sewed it in strips.
          Your idea sounds much like Marti Michell book. She has a few ways of removing bulk with different style quilts.
          Sewing mends the soul.
          sigpic

Do the math; count your blessings
          Laughing is good exercise. It's like jogging on the inside.

http://pinterest.com/vintageprims/boards/ Unless we are creating we are not fully alive
          ~ Madeleine L'Engle

Comment

I have quilted several large quilts on my sewing machine and I do it in sections...middle section, then work across to both ends one direction and then start in the middle again and work in the opposite direction...(kind of like a plus sign...a wide plus sign) and then I fill in each corner section...hope this helps someone.

Comment

that sounds like a good idea. Will give that a go. Gives me a bit of confidence too. I want to make a double bed quilt for my daughter, but have been putting it off, because of the daunting prospect of the quilting. So now I will see how i go

Comment

Working...
              X