What would you do with this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What would you do with this?

I have to admit, up front, that I did NOT do this masterpiece. Wish I could claim it as my own, but my precision factor is all messed up and I am NOT a perfectionist. Okay, I have admitted that I'm a slob to my friends . . .

Here's the story. Visited one of my favorite thrift store boutique stores yesterday and bought a large bag full of fabric - most of what I could see was a large piece of Christmas print and some white on white - less than $8 for the sack and I could easily count about 6 or 7 pieces of fabric. Came home and opened the bag to examine and this lap quilt top is in there. I am novice enough that I don't even know the name of this pattern. But it is beautiful. Now, I'm looking for recommendations to finish it. I'm thinking maybe a black border and then pick up one of the colors and use it to bind.

Comments or suggestions?

Quilt top 1.JPGQuilt top 2.JPG
    Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
    it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Re: What would you do with this?

I think they call this a bargello (sp?) pattern. It's a bunch of colors sewn in rows and shifted to make these patterns.
    I think that sounds like a great way to finish it off.
    Great bargain hunting!
    Be who you are and say what you feel
    because those who mind don't matter,
    and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss

http://www.toggpine.wordpress.com

Comment

i can't believe you found that!. thats amazing. wow what a bargain. oh my goodness. its beautiful. oh my my my I just can't believe you got that..I will be mumbling about that all day..lol
      Patrice

Comment

WOW what a find!!! for 8.00 WOW.

This is what I found in a bag of material I bought many moons ago, nothing like what you got but my big bag was cheaper 3.00 because it was at the end of the last day!!!
        So now what to do with it????

Jan G.

PS. I am now a 9 patch princess just like AL
        Attached Files
        Jan G :icon_wave:

THE HURRIER I GO,
        THE BEHINDER I GET!!!!
        :lol:

Comment

WOW! What a find! I think I would use either the yellow or the red to make it pop! Can't wait to see this finished! Once again.....you lucky duck! SuzyQue

Comment

Great finds!! Wouldn't a black binding look great with the bargello - and the horse panel would make great centers with some sashing (perhaps gold or blue) for a horse lover's quilt. Have fun!

Comment

yes that is a bargello! I've only done a very simple one but I can tell you one like that is a lot of work. I think black and maybe the maroon or purple would really set it off. what a lucky find!
              “What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world, is and remains immortal.”

― Albert Pine

Comment

Originally posted by sewmuchjan View Post
                WOW what a find!!! for 8.00 WOW.

This is what I found in a bag of material I bought many moons ago, nothing like what you got but my big bag was cheaper 3.00 because it was at the end of the last day!!!
                So now what to do with it????

Jan G.

PS. I am now a 9 patch princess just like AL
                Jan I made DH a quilt using panels like that only they were all things he hunts-deer, turkey, ducks, etc. I found a small duck print, fall leaves, and whitetail deer print to set them all together. Then made a pillowcase out of the leftovers for him to keep it in.
                there are some real nice horse prints out there. You could make a little horse-crazy girl very happy.
                “What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world, is and remains immortal.”

― Albert Pine

Comment

Great finds. On the Bargello I agree a black border and back it in Black as well and maybe even a yellow or orange would look just as good.

On the horse panels I would use a gold border and binding on it.

Lynne

Comment

What great finds you gals got! I like the black border for yours Sandy and then one of the colors to bind it. The horse panels could, indeed, make a horse happy little girl happy!
                    There's still time to change the road you're on - Led Zeppelin, "Stairway to Heaven"

Comment

What great finds! I agree with binding the bargello in black.

Comment

Hi Sandy
                        You always come up smelling like a rose.
                        I identify with the slob in you. That's why we be friend-like. LOL.

Jan, I love panels like that for quick lap throws or even pillows. You could cut them apart with enough edge to add some patchwork in between the blocks. Like big hourglass blocks in complementing colors. You did great.
                        Sewing mends the soul.
                        sigpic

Do the math; count your blessings
                        Laughing is good exercise. It's like jogging on the inside.

http://pinterest.com/vintageprims/boards/ Unless we are creating we are not fully alive
                        ~ Madeleine L'Engle

Comment

Working...
                        X