Baby clothes quilt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Baby clothes quilt

Just had a question on this and was wondering if anyone could give me some pointers.

I am attempting to make a quilt from my daughter's baby clothes. When I asked some advise from a lady at my local quilt store, she said that I was waisting my time and shouldn't bother. Hence the determination to prove her wrong!

I am thinking of putting fusible interfasing on the back of the clothes as the majority are stretchy. Is this a good idea or is there another way of doing this? Would it be easier to do squares only or am I naive into thinking I can make for example a dresden plate?

Also, is the quilt lady right and I am waisting my time?

Thank you.

Re: Baby clothes quilt

Hi -

Your post gave me a memory of a quilt I started years ago, and although I haven't finished it, I thought I would share. I have 6 grown kids -- 3 boys and 3 girls -- and I started a quilt made with their baby clothes. The pattern I used included quite a few Sunbonnet Sues and Overall Sams. I was making the dresses for the Sunbonnet Sues out of my girls' clothes, and the overalls for the Overall Sams out of my boys' clothes. Very time-consuming but quite adorable! And now that I've been getting out other quilting UFOs to finish, maybe I will also take out this Big Project and move forward with it as well! So NO!!, you are NOT wasting your time! What a very sad thing for someone working in a quilt shop to say!

Blessings -
    Barb PTL

Comment

Your idea of making a quilt from baby clothes is really great!! Quilting is an art form and only you can add your magic - don't be afraid to try this. I would use a stabilizer to help some of those stretchy materials retain their shape. I am sure that the other quilters will have some great ideas also. We will be excited to see your quilt, so please post pictures!!

Comment

Thank you! Your quilt sounds wonderful. I'm a novice, so think I will stick to the basics, but you have given me some hope and hope my two monkeys will appreciate it - if I ever get it finished of course )

Comment

Unfortunately I can't help with how to stabilize, but I can definitely cheer you on! Don't let anyone tell you you can't do it. Let us know what works!
          Come by and see what I'm up to on my blog...
          Summer Lee Quilts

Comment

I send encouragement, too. Don't give up! Pellon makes a fusible interfacing that would work well for this project.

I love the idea of doing a sunbonnet Sue & Sam with baby clothes! Another reason we all need to get out those UFOs and finish them (I have SEW MANY!!)
            Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
            it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Comment

I think that sounds like a lovely keepsake - and don't let anyone tell you it can't be done! It's all in your imagination and the finisihed product is what you want it to be. As a newbie, I can't answer the question on stabilizer - but I can't wait to see your finished quilt. Be sure to post pics!!!!

Comment

I'd say that lady you talked to wasn't a true quilter or maybe having a bad day or it's just a job to her!!!

Like everyone said go for it and do what you want to do.
                And Sandy's suggestion on the stabilizer is a good one.

Don't let any one rain on your parade!!!
                The folks here will help you out anyway you need, that's why we (newbees) love this place!!!

Welcome to our home a way from home!!!
                Jan G
                Jan G :icon_wave:

THE HURRIER I GO,
                THE BEHINDER I GET!!!!
                :lol:

Comment

I don't have anything to add that the other lovely ladies haven't already addressed. They are so right..... don't let the LQS employee discourage you. Your idea sounds wonderful to me and just imagine what great memories you will have while you're quilting. I'm loving dresden plates and since they are so easy.....i'd encourage you to try those also.

Hugs and happy quilting
                  Mia
                  ~~ Hugs and Blessings,
                  Mia

...quilters come with strings attached
                  (boy aint that the darn truth !!)

Comment

I don't think that lady should be allowed to work in a quilt shop! Maybe she wanted to sell you yardage and since you already have fabric to work with, she thought she was losing out on selling you more.
                    Anyways, yes, use a lightweight fusible. I don't see the difference if you use it on a square piece of the fabric or blades. It still has the fusible and that will help it to hold it's shape.
                    If there is any printing on the front of the fabric, please use a pressing sheet on top of the ink or it just may lift right off.

Now, we all can't wait to see the beautiful quilt that will come out of your idea.

Hugs,
                    http://www.flickr.com/photos/quiltsbytrish
                    http://quiltdreaming.blogspot.com
                    http://pinterest.com/TrishLapp

What if you woke up today and the only things you had were the things you thanked God for yesterday? :icon_hug:quilting trish

Comment

It sounds like you're right on track with everything I've read. I've never attempted one yet, but I'm putting my baby's clothes aside as they grow out of them to make them myself.
                      Lin

Comment

I think it is a great idea and a stabilizer would do the job just as it does on a t-shirt quilt. Making something with love from your heart is never a waste of time but a labor of love! I can't wait to see what you make and how you prove her wrong!
                        Patti
                        Patti
                        "Like" me on Facebook @ Sweet Cherry Quilting to help spread the love of all things crafty and quilted!

Comment

I agree with everyone else. This would be like a t-shirt quilt since most of her outfits were stretchy. I am glad you are determined to make it work. Have a great day and post pictures when you are done.
                          Suzette

Comment

No you are not wasting your time. I made a quilt for my daughter out of clothes she outgrew. I used a lite weight heat and bond and appliqued shapes that I got out of coloring books in a preschool class I used to work in. You can find coloring books or google any shape you want,I used a horse,duck,even made my own pattern of a beany baby dog that she has always loved and put on this quilt. You can see my quilt in one of my albums. what ever age group you are making it for you can do this. Never believe anybody that tells you you are wasting your time. Remember we are quilters and we are creative. Make this quilt and take it back to the fabric store and show her you "can" do it too. GO FOR IT!!!

Comment

Go to my albums and look in the Lotsa projects albums and the quilt that has all the different shapes was made out of my daughters clothes. It can be done!!

Comment

Working...
                              X