Newbie looking for some help =-)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbie looking for some help =-)

I am new to the sewing world. Had a machine that was my grandmothers passed down and it has developed a serious case of "Thread Typhoid" (the thread is catching and bunching for all ends). I am looking to send that one out to greener pastures and get a new machine. I have been doing tons of research and have settled on the Singer Quantum Stylist 9960
    Amazon Page for that Machine .
    I know it is a LOT more machine than I need now, but I don't want to have to upgrade anytime soon. It has a solid aluminum frame which I have come to see is SUPER important. It also comes with a lot of quilting feet and some other feet that will be helpful for mending clothes for my 2 boys, making clothes for my little girl, and making things for the house.

I am curious what your thoughts are on this machine. $250 is my upper limit so I know I have to give a little as Janome, Pfaff, and Viking will not be living in my home anytime soon =-)

Thanks for any and all input friends. I cant wait to finish my first project with my new machine.

Re: Newbie looking for some help =-)

Hi and welcome. I had to approve your post because you are a new user and you included a link. The forum automatically flags the post for it to be checked out. It's an anti-spam feature.

Now that everyone can see it, hopefully they will chime in with some information for you. Singer machines are not my cup of tea, unless they were made before 1950, but there are many people here that do use them.

In the meantime here is a link to a search for the machine you are talking about. There have been several discussions on the forum about this machine.
    http://forum.missouriquiltco.com/sea...earchid=857338
    Last edited by K. McEuen; June 24, 2013, 03:10 PM.
    K is for Karen 😊​ Albuquerque, NM..................
    Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
    T - is it TRUE?
    H - is it HELPFUL?
    I - is it INSPIRING?
    N - is it NECESSARY?
    K - is it KIND?

Comment

Had 2 Singers and could not give me another one. I looked at the Quantum, but after the issues with the others I passed. I know though there are gals on here that have that machine and love it. Good luck in whatever you choose, and welcome to the forum from Missouri.
      Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......
      sigpic

Comment

Welcome! First, let me ask - are you sure grandma's machine is really kaput? There are a lot of quilter's who seek out those old machines. They were made much better back then than they are now. I would take it to a good repairman first.

You don't say where you are, but if you let us know, maybe someone here near you can steer you in the right direction.

Oh - BTW, I had a similar problem recently and my friend asked me how long it had been since I changed my needle. Changed my needle and no more problems!
        Donna

Comment

Welcome to the forum. Like Marilyn, I've had 2 Singer Machines and I won't have another one either. My choice of machines is Brother. Good luck with whatever machine you choose.
          Shirley aka buckeyequilter
          I work to support a sewing habit that I don't have time for, because I work!

Comment

I have the machine that you are looking at and have had no problems whatsoever. HOWEVER, others on this forum have had issues with the same machine.
            :icon_wave::icon_woohoo:Kellie:icon_hi:

Comment

Welcome! When I was shopping for a new machine I looked at Consumer Reports and they rated Singer as they worst brand of all they tested. If you haven't yet, maybe you can go to some sewing machine stores and test drive a few different brands before deciding. Some stores have machines that have been traded in on upgrades, so you may find something in your budget. Good luck!!!

Susan
              ---Susan---

"When life gives you scraps - make a quilt!"

Comment

I would have the one you have looked at before I tossed it. Some of the older ones are made to last forever and to sew like the wind. You may have your bobbin in backwards to have thread bunching like that. Most of the machines, the thread... actually threads one direction and if you have it backwards, that is the result. Easy fix... if you have the instruction manual, make sure you have gone over it and checked that all is in place.

Then, take it to the Sewing machine shop and tell them to service it for you, they will do it all, clean it, oil it, check for missing parts, set your tensions and tell you if it's a keeper or not. Don't let them tell you it's not so they can sell you one, take it to a repair shop first. HTH.

Comment

I have that machine and had it only for three months and the main motor had to be replaced. Wouldn't buy another one..it was really just my back up machine and thought it would be a good one to teach my granddaughters to sew on. Singers use to be good machine eons ago not so now, but that is just my 2 cents worth.

Comment

Hi There, I would take it to a reputable repair person and have it checked out. Some of those older machines sew beautifully and are very Sturdy and made to last. Worth getting it checked out I'd think. I'd be trying to find out if it could be repaired and how much that would cost first. Just my thoughts..... but very best of luck. Can not offer any advice on the Singer Machine, a I have never had one.
                    HUGS,
                    Lenore

"I'm not crazy. My Mother had me tested." (Dr Sheldon Cooper)

Comment

Okay, my turn to chime in, lol.
                      What make and model is your grandmother's machine, and do you have the instruction book? I bought a reconditioned Janome and gained a couple of decorative stitches I don't use, a needle up and down feature that's nice (but, really?) and an automatic threader that currently doesn't work. Now the needle over position, that's another story. GOLDEN when making HSTs....
                      But when it all comes down to it, I would have been fine with my Mom's Singer Featherweight. CIRCA 1942. They are absolute BULLS.
                      Before you get into a big purchase, I would get out the manual and go through the threading directions. The wrong sized bobbin can cause havoc, as well. I've experienced that.
                      Grandma's machine may just need a good cleaning and oiling. I really would take it to a reputable dealer before I kicked her to the curb. They REALLY, really, don't make these things like they use to!!
                      I really need to get off the exclamation point.
                      It may give people the idea that I'm bright and cheerful all the time....

Comment

Thank you all so much for your input. I looked at a brother cs6000i and thought it was a good deal. But I could not find wether or not it had a metal frame or not. i have read that some makers are using all plastic and it can make the stitches crazy. We have a local dealer that services machines. Perhaps I will give them a go. We live in Seaford, DE and we dont have a lot of places to go for this kind of thing. There was one nod for brother, has anyone else had any kind of luck with them?

And thanks for the warm welcomes

Comment

Just bought a new brother and love it. I have no idea about whether it is metal frame or not. I do know it can sew circles around the other 2 Singers. Brother makes a good machine. Same folks make Baby Locks. You don't need all those bells and whistles when just starting out either.
                          Originally posted by dntnichols View Post
                          Thank you all so much for your input. I looked at a brother cs6000i and thought it was a good deal. But I could not find wether or not it had a metal frame or not. i have read that some makers are using all plastic and it can make the stitches crazy. We have a local dealer that services machines. Perhaps I will give them a go. We live in Seaford, DE and we dont have a lot of places to go for this kind of thing. There was one nod for brother, has anyone else had any kind of luck with them?

And thanks for the warm welcomes
                          Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......
                          sigpic

Comment

Welcome! I have Babylocks, so don't have firsthand knowledge of any redent model singers. I think reading Consumer Reports is a good idea that someonecelsecsuggested. Good luck on your search!

Comment

I bought my Pfaff from craigslist for $200. there are some great deals there if you keep looking
                              Last edited by snippet; June 24, 2013, 08:06 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X