Backing fabric amounts curiosity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Backing fabric amounts curiosity

Hello everyone. I think sometimes I am a little too analytical for my own good. I am very new to quilting, and I am soooo confused. I purchased a quilting magazine, and was reading the fabric amounts needed to make a certain quilt. One in particular, just using an example here, says the finished quilt size is 48" x 50-3/4", but the materials needed calls for 3 yards of a backing fabric. That is nine feet??? I understand the need for a larger backing of at least 4 inches to accommodate for uhh...well, not sure what it accommodates, but I know you need a bigger backing, but why does it call for that much fabric?
    I live in an RV, and have very limited space to work in. I use my bed as my "work table", and when I read things requiring 3 yards, I get a little intimidated because I don't have THAT much space!

Re: Backing fabric amounts curiosity

I am in no way a backing expert - but I'd say that you would need more than two yards but you would have to piece your backing - most fabrics come about 42 to 44 inches wide. Two yards would be 72 inches which would give you the 50 inches plus - say your 5 inches on both the top and the bottom, or a total of 60 inches - and the additional 12 inches, split the long way, would have to be pieced on one side to cover the back. but that would only give you about an inch overhang on each long side . . . shorting you if you were going to have it professionally quilted. I'd be the one to buy the 3 yards recommended and use the rest to make complimentary pillows or pillow cases.
    Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
    it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Comment

This might work for you....I go to my local thift store and buys good quality bed sheets for my backing. No seams...pre washed. Worked great on my last quilt and am using some for a couple of twin quilts.
      sigpic
      Old quilters never die, they just go batty!

Your Canadian quilting sister, Shauna

Comment

Ohhhhhhhkee dokee....After reading these post, a little internet research, and realizing things aren't always as they appear, I think I get it now. If you want a quilt wider or longer than the avg 44 inches, you have to piece the back together. My oh my...Thank you all for the help.

Comment

Originally posted by nannyslilquilter View Post
          Ohhhhhhhkee dokee....After reading these post, a little internet research, and realizing things aren't always as they appear, I think I get it now. If you want a quilt wider or longer than the avg 44 inches, you have to piece the back together. My oh my...Thank you all for the help.
          You don't always have to piece though - Sally's idea was great - using sheets. Also, you can buy backing fabric that comes in bigger widths - up to 120 inches (I'm trying to remember the exact widths but my mind isn't all there today). So the options are there. A lot of people will also use a quilting piece on the back to help extend the backing fabric and to add interest. That's a great way to utilize scraps or extra blocks from the front if you have them.
          Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
          it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Comment

Originally posted by Sandy Navas View Post
            A lot of people will also use a quilting piece on the back to help extend the backing fabric and to add interest. That's a great way to utilize scraps or extra blocks from the front if you have them.
            I had to do this on the quilt I'm quilting now. I bought twice the width of the quilt in backing fabric, meaning to piece it across the middle but I made a boo boo in my maths because the top was more than twice as tall as the width of the fabric. I had a load of 2.5" squares left over from the jelly roll I'd used in the front so I pieced them into a strip and set them in the back. I think it looks really cute.

Quilting through the dull times
            northstarquilting.blogspot.com

Comment

Working...
            X