Help Me Understand How to Quilt this

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help Me Understand How to Quilt this

I am starting a bedrunner pattern for my friends 6 year old daughter. The picture below is from the pattern book showing the pocket blocks which will be sewn onto both sides of the runner for storage of books and toys etc. The instructions say to construct the 2 blocks which will become pockets and attach them to the bedrunner body BEFORE quilting the whole project. The top of the pockets are finished with a turned under edge but the 3 remaining edges are kept raw, pinned on top of the bottom blocks in the body of the bedrunner and caught up in the stitching when attaching the border fabrics to the body of the runner.

The picture from the pattern book obviously shows all over quilting through the bedrunner and borders but I don't understand how I can machine quilt it behind the pocket areas after they are attached? The instructions of course just indicate to complete full construction of the bedrunner and then "quilt as desired".

If I decided to just batt and back the body of the runner minus the borders and pockets, quilt it as desired, then attach my pockets. How would I then add the border fabrics and get them batted and quilted? Would mean piecing the back and I don't think that is how they intend to do it. If I do it by following their instructions the runner fabric underneath the pockets would not be quilted. I would have to quilt the rest of the runner and borders without doing the area under the pockets and then that would look strange from the back side wouldn't it? All over quilting except in the area of the pockets?

I may be overlooking something simple, but not sure how to best approach the quilting. I will most likely be doing a simple "stitch in the ditch" and possibly "X" quilt each large block so maybe it doesn't matter that much. I am using Layer Cake blocks so they won't be multiple pieced like the picture. Would still like to know how they managed to stipple quilt their runner and make it look like it is quilted under the pockets. The pockets were not handstitched on after the fact...they were incorporated into the construction of the runner with the border fabric strips.

BEDRUNNERS_0004.jpg
    Linda
    -its not the number of breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away!

sigpic

Re: Help Me Understand How to Quilt this

SewBee, unless my eyes fail me - which is very possible, I think the binding is all that is quilted on this. I can't see any quilting on the pockets at all.

Maybe someone else sees it differently.
    Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
    it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Comment

Hi
      Looks to me like the pockets are sewn and looks sort of padded/quilted before it is assembled to the rest of the runner. In fact, each block that I can see looks like it has been quilted.
      Hard to say without seeing the pattern, but, then I never do understand most pattern instructions. I am a very visual learner.
      Sorry I am of no real help.
      Sewing mends the soul.
      sigpic

Do the math; count your blessings
      Laughing is good exercise. It's like jogging on the inside.

http://pinterest.com/vintageprims/boards/ Unless we are creating we are not fully alive
      ~ Madeleine L'Engle

Comment

It looks to me that when it is time for quilting, everything is quilted EXCEPT the pockets. So you'd do your all over quilting and stop when you come to the pockets. This way, everything is sewn together, you'd put the entire top together WITH the pockets done properly, and then quilt all around them. You'd be able to tell on the back that the pocket areas are NOT quilted, but that is okay because the little girls probably won't be inspecting your work from the back......

Make sense? Hope so.

Comment

Thanks Sandy, Blondie and Chrina!

You are right Sandy that the pockets are not quilted. They are sewn to underlying blocks that compose the bedrunner itself so out of 16 blocks total, 4 underlying blocks will be covered with the 4 pocket blocks to make the actual pockets. My assumption was that all of the underlying blocks would be quilted and then the pocket blocks attached but that is not how the instructions read. The picture doesn't show the back of the quilt so I suppose there may be no quilting in the area behind the pocket blocks but that seems strange for everything else to be quilted except the lower underlying blocks on both sides of the runner.

Blondie the pocket blocks have fusible interfacing on the wrong sides to give them a little more body and strength for holding things. And yes all the other blocks and borders have been quilted except for the attached pocket blocks. I'm the same way Blondie...learn much quicker from pics than I do trying to read pattern lingo!

Chrina you may be absolutely right about how they did it. Its the only way that makes sense given how the instructions are written. I guess it just seemed strange to me that the back of the quilt would not be fully quilted even though the pockets are not quilted. As you say I'm sure it will be of no concern to the little girl or how the bedrunner looks from the front. I should still be able to quilt around the pocket area over the seams to create a little pattern on the back in that area I guess.

Thanks for the feedback though....makes it easier for me to just do it the way the instructions say....although they go into absolutely no detail about the actual quilting! LOL.... very few patterns do!
          Linda
          -its not the number of breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away!

sigpic

Comment

Well I guess I was worrying about nothing! I machine quilted my bedrunner yesterday and I think it worked out fine not quilting the fabric underlying the pocket blocks. This was so much easier to quilt since I just did straight line quilting! LOVE my Even Feed/Walking Foot! Now I'm getting nervous about doing the binding. Plan to review several of Jenny's video tutorials and make sure I know what I'm doing before I cut my binding strips! ALMOST DONE!
            Attached Files
            Linda

sigpic

Comment

That is SO cute! What color is the binding going to be?
              There's still time to change the road you're on - Led Zeppelin, "Stairway to Heaven"

Comment

Deb I have some of the Girly Girl yardage in a coordinating pink polka dot. It will blend without standing out so hopefully won't draw attention to any binding mistakes I make!
                Linda

sigpic

Comment

very cute. i love it. I made a wall hanging for my mother to hold her cards when she gets them in the nursing home. i did it the same way. just quilted around the pockets
                  Patrice

Comment

Originally posted by Sewbee View Post
                    It will blend without standing out so hopefully won't draw attention to any binding mistakes I make!
                    Sewbee, I followed Jenny's instructions on binding, from her tutorial, on the lap quilt that I just did for my MIL. I was absolutely amazed at how easy it was - did hand-sew the back of the binding on as she did. I really have problems with the corners still, although that has always been a concern of mine. I did it like Jenny showed but for some reason my points are a bit pointier (new word I just made up) than I'd like.
                    Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
                    it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Comment

Sandy I love Jenny's binding tutorial as well. I plan to watch it several times before I make my attempt at it. I own the binding tool which should help! My only issue is I need to do the entire binding by machine. Long standing hand problems prevent me from doing much actual hand sewing. I'm thinking I should attach the binding to the back first by machine and then bring it over to the top and use a blanket stitch or something decorative to sew it down. I will try to use the seam line from the back as a guide for attaching the binding on the front. Will probably practice on a something small first to get the technique down. Still nervous about it!
                      Linda

sigpic

Comment

Sounds like you have a good plan for the binding. I think in your case I would bring it to the front as well.

Love how it is turning out!
                        Sewing mends the soul.
                        sigpic

Do the math; count your blessings
                        Laughing is good exercise. It's like jogging on the inside.

http://pinterest.com/vintageprims/boards/ Unless we are creating we are not fully alive
                        ~ Madeleine L'Engle

Comment

Sewbee that is adorable! It is beautiful, the little girl is going to love it and so is her mom!!! The colors are so soft looking! I know you will do a beautiful job on the binding too. Thanks for sharing!
                          Saundra

May your troubles be less and your blessings be more and nothing but happiness come through your door! God bless the USA!:icon_wave:

Comment

Sewbee,

This is so cute. I have been looking for a birthday gift for a little girl and I think this will be it. Thanks for sharing,

Cheri

Comment

I think your bedrunner is adorable and binding is easy once you get the hang of it...love the way those corners go........I think you will do fine..please post pics of finished runner ...I would be very interested in seeing it finished.

Comment

Working...
                              X