fabric with paper backing - can i use it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • aldrmctchr
    Shiny Thimble
    • Feb 2011

fabric with paper backing - can i use it?

i got a ton of fabric samples from a local store to use for quilting...great fabrics, but some have paper backing on them,,,some are peeling rt off, some are not budging. Since it will be on the inside and once washed will sort of disintegrate, can i just sew them with the paper on...most of them are 1 to <1 inch width on a given square i cut out. THANKS

ps...my name is jen/aldrmctchr and i am a new member and will post in the new member section soon...i need to get this fabric out of my trunk lol!!!!
  • Sandy Navas
    Missouri Star
    • Dec 2010

Re: fabric with paper backing - can i use it?

Jen - I have scads of those fabric samples but I don't sew with the paper on them. Most I have I've been able to pull the paper off and on the ones I can't I plan to use them for something else (they would do well inside a tote perhaps). I have heard some people dampen them and the paper will pull off. I don't have the patience for that, but if I had some that I truly wanted to use I'd try soaking a bunch at once.

One thing you should consider - a lot of these fabrics aren't just cotton, so they may or may not wash up okay if used in a quilt - although I have done a couple crazy quilts using them with the intent that they will definitely be dry cleaned.

Don't know if this helps or not. Have fun with your samples. My sister just made the most unusual and very attractive purse from some she had.

By the way, welcome to the forum!!!!
    Last edited by Sandy Navas; February 12, 2011, 06:29 PM. Reason: Addition at bottom.
    Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
    it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Comment

• Dragonfly
      The Guild President
      • Aug 2010

As Sandy said, probably not a good idea to leave the paper on, soaking them in some warm water should help lift the paper. If it doesn't then you probably wouldn't want to use it anyway, it must be some awful glue rather than water based glue.
      Lynn

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain" Anonymous.

Comment

• aldrmctchr
        Shiny Thimble
        • Feb 2011

does it have to be cotton only? or just because of the way the different fabrics are cleaned and shrink? i am extremely new and have been googling a lot, watching tutorials, etc...my mom passed away in september and i want to make a few quilts with her clothes, then i had the chance to get these samples too

i think the ones that won't work for quilts i will use for bags like you said above, when i figure out how to do them lol - i think i found a pattern that i can follow...i am a graphic artist and very craft bit have never really went too far into sewing, but i do have a machine...shoot i will have to read the instructions again to learn how to thread it

thanks
        Last edited by aldrmctchr; February 12, 2011, 09:10 PM.

Comment

• Sandy Navas
          Missouri Star
          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by aldrmctchr View Post
          does it have to be cotton only? or just because of the way the different fabrics are cleaned and shrink? i am extremely new and have been googling a lot, watching tutorials, etc...my mom passed away in september and i want to make a few quilts with her clothes, then i had the chance to get these samples too

i think the ones that won't work for quilts i will use for bags like you said above, when i figure out how to do them lol - i think i found a pattern that i can follow...i am a graphic artist and very craft bit have never really went too far into sewing, but i do have a machine...shoot i will have to read the instructions again to learn how to thread it

thanks
          There are a whole lot of free patterns out there for totes. Start simple and work your way up. Your crafty/artsy mind will help you a lot.
          Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
          it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Comment

• Dragonfly
            The Guild President
            • Aug 2010

Originally posted by aldrmctchr View Post
            does it have to be cotton only?
            It does not have to cotton only, but is best if it can be. Some other fabric types may need to be stabilised before being used as they can be stretchy and/or flimsy/slippery to work with. There is the added issue of different laundering needs but many quilts are made of mixed fabrics.
            Lynn

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain" Anonymous.

Comment

Working...
            X