Thread question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thread question

While surfing thru posts I read a question regarding thread color - the answer prompted a question of my own. In quilting are you supposed to use only 100% cotton thread when doing your piecing, or is a poly blend ok? Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I am new to this.

Re: Thread question

People seem to have varying opinions on this. I've been told to use cotton because it will shrink at the same rate as the quilt top when you wash it but as far as I'm aware the thread shouldn't shrink at all. The lady at my LQS told me to only use 100% cotton but she also refuses to use anything other than 100% cotton fabrics too.

In my mind the tradition of quilts was to use up scraps of fabric to make a warm blanket when you couldn't afford to buy one. I've seen vintage quilts made out of everything from shirts, dresses and mattress ticking to old wedding dresses and even bits of sack cloth. So I really don't think it matters what you make it out of or sew it together with as long as you love it.

If you have poly blend to hand, go with it!
    Quilting through the dull times
    northstarquilting.blogspot.com

Comment

The main reason for 100% cotton thread when using 100% cotton fabric is that the poly thread is actually stronger than cotton, it doesn't break as easy. So when used in a quilt that is being used/washed/handled the poly thread can/will eventually wear through the cotton of the fabric. So it is about wear and tear on the quilt more so than shrinkage. This is a part of why I absolutely loathe the monofilament quilting thread but it and poly blend have their places in our lives so use what you have that is suitable. In the life of the average everyday, being used quilt it is not an issue but if you are making heirloom quilts it is worth considering.
      Lynn

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain" Anonymous.

Comment

Thank you for your information! Since I am no where near the level of heirloom, I think I will use up what I have while I continue to learn this craft!!

Comment

so, this means that if I am piecing, it's best to use 100% cotton thread...as well as when machine quilting? Thanks!

Comment

I heard a speaker at our Quilt Guild and she only uses cotton threads. Said those of us (me included) that use the Dual Duty threads from Coats and Clark - it is made out of polyester and cotton and she also said that the polyester will break down the fibers in the cotton material over time and coudl eventually make the quilt fall apart. So she suggested using the Aurifil cotton or Mettlers cotton. It is more expensive but she said it was worth it.

Hugs,
            http://www.flickr.com/photos/quiltsbytrish
            http://quiltdreaming.blogspot.com
            http://pinterest.com/TrishLapp

What if you woke up today and the only things you had were the things you thanked God for yesterday? :icon_hug:quilting trish

Comment

I use the Gutterman natural cotton thread when piecing and when quilting I've been using Sulky 30 wt. Rayon decorative thread. The machine seems to really like the Sulky thread for quilting, it doesn't have as much lint floating around when free motion quilting and it holds up really well.

I've learned to stay away from cheap threads when piecing or quilting, they either break all the time or make your machine not run very well. Also if you want the quilt to last a long time invest in good fabrics and thread that will hold up to years of use.
              Katie's Quilting Corner - Blog, Podcast and More!
              Don't miss Free Pattern Friday posts!
              Pinterest

Comment

Katie, enjoyed your site! Been there right much!
                Saundra

May your troubles be less and your blessings be more and nothing but happiness come through your door! God bless the USA!:icon_wave:

Comment

Okay - I am inching closer to trying this FMQ thing. I bought a varigated sulky 30wt today. It is supposed to rain like the devil here tomorrow so I might tackle this - I am just so afraid of botching up my first quilt top with bad FMQ! I know that I will be keeping this for myself so I just need to bite the bullet and give it a go.

Comment

Originally posted by tamsterg7 View Post
                    Okay - I am inching closer to trying this FMQ thing. I bought a varigated sulky 30wt today. It is supposed to rain like the devil here tomorrow so I might tackle this - I am just so afraid of botching up my first quilt top with bad FMQ! I know that I will be keeping this for myself so I just need to bite the bullet and give it a go.
                    Make some small quilt sandwiches (12" square or so) and practice a bit. You'll need to do that anyway to adjust your thread tension for FMQ before you tackle the actual quilt. I always keep spare scraps of batting around just for this when I set up my machine for FMQ for any project.
                    Pinterest

Comment

Originally posted by craftyladysam View Post
                      Katie, enjoyed your site! Been there right much!
                      Thank you!
                      Pinterest

Comment

Working...
                      X