X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Twiga
    replied
    Re: Seams on the back

Thank you, didn't think of that - thought it was taboo, but will certainly give it a go and will keep you posted.

This forum is such a great help for me being a newbie - thank you!

Leave a comment:

• bakermom
    replied

you willget a certain amount of bulk when you sew both halves together, simply because of the multiple layers of fabric. I press my seams to one side too but some say it reduces the bulk to press them open. You could try this and see if you have better results

Leave a comment:

• Twiga
    replied

Hi Blondie,

I have pressed the seams and tried to manuplate them, so that they all fit in the right directions, but I am still finding some bulk, especially at the top in the middle.

I am having trouble attaching photos that might explain it better. Is there another way of me sending photos to help?

Leave a comment:

• Twiga
    replied

Hi Blondie,

It all makes sense - you are far better versed than I am! I am going to give one a go today and let you know. If it is still going wrong, I will take a photo and let you know.

Tx

Leave a comment:

• Blondie
    replied

Well sometimes when you are pressing everything towards the dark side, you wind up with a big hump in the middle. I try to make my seams at intersections opposite of each other so that they fit nicely together. I hope that makes sense. There are others here much better versed in the fine art of speech and teaching than I am.
    Also, sometimes no matter how to sew a 1/4 inch seam, the blocks need to be trimmed before you join them. And also, when you press, make sure you press, not iron. Lots of starch helps as well. Lots of starch. Lots of starch.
    Let me know how it goes.

Leave a comment:

• Twiga
    replied

Hi Blondie,

Thank you for the reply.

Yes, I press each block and make sure they are going towards the darker fabric. So that is why I am confused as to why I am getting wonky seams. Is there a particular order in which they need to be put together?

T.

Leave a comment:

• Blondie
    replied

Hi Twiga
    Are you pressing each block before you sew them together. It really DOES make a difference in how they fit.

Leave a comment:

• Twiga
    started a topic Seams on the back

Seams on the back

Hi,

I hope someone can help, I am a newbie at quilting, so have been teaching myself on this wonderful craft. I have started one of Jenny's tuts where she uses the tube to create the double hourglass block.

All goes according to plan until it comes to putting the four blocks together. My seams aren't always nesting properly and I have to then hold down the bit to make it nest. Also, when the block is finished, I have some seams going one way and others going the other and I am sure that they should all lie flat.

Clearly, I am doing something wrong and probably not sewing them in the right order or something. (I sew small blocks 1,2,3,4 and then 1&2 to 3&4).

Would a pro quilter be able to help in getting flat blocks. Quilt so far looks good and will focus later on piecing those pieces together.

Thank you.
Working...
X