Survey of the best iron for quilters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Survey of the best iron for quilters

I'd like to have your opinions. I'm looking to get a new iron and I want to pick a really good one. Please everyone, give me your opinions on the iron question.
    SandyWhite
    Ocala, Florida
    http://handpiecing.blogspot.com

Re: Survey of the best iron for quilters

My first couple were Black and Decker. Pretty generic and don't last terribly long. My dd bought me something and I forget what it was, I gave it to my other dd when she moved away. I then bought a medium range Rowenta, about $100. It seemed like it kept shutting off and not holding steam for very long. Sooo dd bought me a Sunbeam. So far so good.

In conclusion I have no clue. lol
    🌺 Lorie

Comment

I have a Rowenta which I love, love, LOVE!! It shuts off after ten minutes, but that rarely happens. If I know it's been longer, I just flip the iron down and back up while I'm finishing up whatever I'm doing so it will be hot when I am ready for it. I also had the problem w/the steam, but once I changed it to being not on steam, that problem stopped. If I need steam, I either just press the button for a quick blast, or change it back to the steam setting. I don't think I would ever buy another brand iron.

I have always like the Olisio (I think that is how it's spelled), however when I read reviews on it, out of the twenty or so I read, only two were halfway good and the rest all negative.
      pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

Comment

I have no clue but I am really interested to hear what everyone else recommends!
        ---Susan---

"When life gives you scraps - make a quilt!"

Comment

I had a rowenta which I loved but it did not last lonbg for its price so I bought a black and decker and its been a workhorse.
          sigpic:icon_hug: Iris Girl = April = fabric, Fabric FABRIC!!
          Time spent with cats is never wasted.
          Sigmund Freud

Comment

I really like the Rowenta, mine isn't broken, just a little glitch . I cleaned it out with vinegar and it did get better. I would still recommend it too.
            🌺 Lorie

Comment

I LOVE my Rowenta Effective!
              I really need to get off the exclamation point.
              It may give people the idea that I'm bright and cheerful all the time....

Comment

I don't know which is best but I was lying in bed reading the comments on my iPad when I suddenly thought that I had left my iron plugged in so I went downstairs and unplugged it. Thank you for starting this thread!

Comment

I have a Rowenta, about the $100 model. It turns itself off, but I don't mind because it will start right back up as soon as I move it. It's been a good iron. The best iron I ever had was a find at a rummage sale, think it was a Sunbeam or Black and Decker, and paid a whooping $1.00 for an unused iron still in the box. It lasted for nearly 10 years! Go figure.

Comment

I will be interested to see what everyone has to say. Iron's last approximately one year with me. They just stop working.
                    Some People Say That I Have The Attention Span Of A... Oh Look, A Quilt!!

Comment

I have a Proctor-Silex. Have had it for yrs. and never had a problem yet. Some good old oldies are just meant to last.

Knock on wood, that after I just said that it doesn't go on the fritz.
                      Simone a.k.a Ellimay

sigpic Sewing is cheaper than therapy

Comment

Reliable Digital Velocity 100. It's a steam generator and doesn't spit like the Rowenta steam generator did. Allbrands and Amazon have the filters for it. Have a cheap Sunbeam if I want a dry iron, and an old B&D with a teflon sole for crafts. I have pressing cloths and sole plate covers.

It also shuts off automatically. You can override the shutoff and have the iron stay on all day.

Comment

I have this one and love it.
                          http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The only thing that I don't like is it doesn't have an on/off button/switch. I unplug it when finished. Guess you should do that anyway.
                          Be blessed,
                          Sandy

God has a plan and it is a good plan.

Comment

I have found that cheap Sunbeams and B&D ones work just fine. I have gone by the weight of the iron in my selections. I like an iron that has a little weight to it. Seems like I don't have to work as hard, cuz the iron is heavier, and I don't have to push or press as hard. Just my opinion though.
                            Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......
                            sigpic

Comment

Had a Rowenta, it shut off and would only start up again if you unpluged it and plugged it back in! Into the trash that went! Have had cheap irons since. Been giving my $22 Sunbeams a workout lately (one for upstairs and one down), the upstairs one decided to become a torch the other day and set off the smoke detectors in the house, all 11 of them! That was scary! So another one in the trash! Bought a Hancock steam iron to replace it, so far, I'm not thrilled. I just don't think the expensive irons are that much better than the cheapies.

Comment

Working...
                              X