Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fabric Recommendations, please?

Hi everyone......

I completed my first quilt and there was lots of raveling and stretching on the sashings. I'm wondering if part of this was caused by the inexpensive sale fabric I purchased on sale at JoAnn's.

Would you recommend Kona cottons or another brand or was I just not careful enough? Does quality really matter?

Thanks again in advance for all of your help
    Hugs
    Mia
    ~~ Hugs and Blessings,
    Mia

...quilters come with strings attached
    (boy aint that the darn truth !!)

Re: Fabric Recommendations, please?

yes it matters. i don't buy much anymore unless it comes from a quilt shop. you pay more but its worth it for all the work you put into it. my local quilt shop shut there doors..broke my heart. but i have found another about 25 min away. I only buy joannes if I can't find what i need in a higher quality
    Patrice

Comment

Thanks Patrice,

Since this was my first quilt (other than rag quilts) I worked really hard on seams etc, but when I was finished with my blocks many, many of them were wonky and frayed. I know I wasn't perfect but some of that mess had to have been the fabric ( I HOPE).

Thanks again
      Mia
      ~~ Hugs and Blessings,
      Mia

Comment

I too think there is a huge difference in fabric quality. JoAnn's does have some better quality fabric, but alot is not. I mostly stay with their quilting cottons, not the bolts on the walls, but usually on the wooden shelves. If you have some from a quilt shop compare the feel and look to some of what you got at JoAnns. The feel is totally different, better quality will feel smoother and I think cool to the touch, and the weave is much tighter and you can't see through it. I think it makes a big difference in stitch quality and the look of the finished project as well.
        I am like Patrice, I think the higher price of the quilt shop quality fabric is more than worth it. I just love to touch the fabric.
        Lola
        :icon_wave: http://s178.photobucket.com/albums/w278/josews_photos/

Comment

Thank you too lola, so is there a brand of solids you prefer (ie. kona cotton or bella basics)

Hugs
          Mia
          ~~ Hugs and Blessings,
          Mia

Comment

I agree with the advice above. It really matters, and low quality fabric is most frustrating when piecing, pressing and trying to match your lines. Watch out for light weight cottons that stretch a lot. I've learned that I like heavier cottons, found at the quilt shops, especially for good creases, nice seams, and clean lines. I think they are sturdier for long use, also.

Comment

Mia
              I have used kona and bella and I have to admit I completely prefer bella solids over the kona.
              The bella just feels, looks and sews better than the kona, in my opinion.
              :icon_wave: http://s178.photobucket.com/albums/w278/josews_photos/

Comment

I've never been happy with any solid I've bought at JoAnn's or Wal-Mart (I don't have a LQS ), so I'm only using Bella Solids now. Honestly, I've not tried Kona, but I've been SO happy with Bella that I really don't want to use anything else.
                Come by and see what I'm up to on my blog...
                Summer Lee Quilts

Comment

OOOH thank you ........... Bella it is then.

Huggles my friends
                  Mia
                  ~~ Hugs and Blessings,
                  Mia

Comment

We love Bella solids too! We actually have quite a huge assortment here: http://www.missouriquiltco.com/catal...q=bella+solids Check em out! We try to have the BEST price, plus you get quilters cash!! BONUS, if you ask me! hahahah!

Have a great day!

Comment

Originally posted by sewhot View Post
                      We love Bella solids too! We actually have quite a huge assortment here:
                      Have a great day!
                      Excellent plug for the store there, nice to see you are paying attention.
                      PS Mia do go look at the shop...they do have a great range and Bella in precuts are just fabulous.

I use both Bella and Kona and as an experienced quilter my fist thought when I tried the Kona was that I wouldn't recommend it to a novice quilter. Don't get me wrong I love it, it is a gorgeous fabric and I like how it works in my quilts but I felt that it was a little 'slippery', not sure how best to describe it, it seemed to have movement, probably because it is so soft. Anyway, the Bella is a great product and if you have access to it then it's a good choice.

Have fun.
                      Lynn

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain" Anonymous.

Comment

Thank you so much for your insight and your help. It's so nice to have you to ask ......
                        again
                        Thank you
                        Hugs Mia
                        ~~ Hugs and Blessings,
                        Mia

Comment

I've only used the Bella solids so far and they've all sewed up really well. As a bonus they come in jelly rolls and layer cakes. I use them with my patterned jelly rolls to make bigger quilts because they're cheaper than buying two patterned jelly rolls.

(plus I bought them here so I got my quilter's cash - I'll join in with the subtle plugging)
                          Quilting through the dull times
                          northstarquilting.blogspot.com

Comment

Lol..............since I love MSQC too....... I appreciate the plugging also

Hugs
                            Mia
                            ~~ Hugs and Blessings,
                            Mia

Comment

I made a quilt for a lady who "insisted" that she would buy the fabric for the quilt herself.

Of course, she went for the bargain bin fabric and I warned her right away that the fabric was awful and after a couple of washes, the fabric will deteriorate. BUT, against my better judgement, I let her talk me into making her this beautiful dolphin quilt. It looked absolutely amazing, but I knew it would not last long. Even when she came to pick it up, she ooed and awed how beautiful it looked and told me I was over reacting about the fabric.

One week later, she called me ranting mad because the "seams" fell apart on the quilt and a friend of hers said it was the quality of my work and it had nothing to do with the quality of the fabric. I reminded her our discussion of the fabric. I suggested she have her "quilting friend" properly fix the seams and let me know how it worked out.....I never heard from her.

Never again did I allow someone else to buy the fabric for a quilt. I refuse to skimp for quality on fabric....it's not worth it. Think of all the hours of work you put into your creation, one round in the washing machine and it starts to fray...no way.

That was the only quilt that I EVER had issues with.

Kim

Comment

Working...
                              X