Lynnette

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lynnette

What is the best way to protect my fingers when hand quilting? - I can't seem to sew with thimbles on - I've even tried duct tape(gets sticky).

Re: Lynnette

Hi, Lynnette !
    I can't stand thimbles either. For awhile I resorted to band aids or scotch tape ! Then I found a product from the DRITZ company. They are called "quilter's slip 'n grips". They are half inch, adhesive circles with a sandpaper grip on one side. These work for me & are a help in gripping needles. They are found in most sewing notions sections. Hope this helps you.

Comment

Another thought ! In quilting notions, I also found packages of rubber finger tips that
      fit all finger sizes. They are comfortable too ! Carol Ann

Comment

Have you tried the jelly thimbles? I couldn't use the metal ones, but I bought some of these and got them warm in some really hot water and slipped them on my fingers. They kind of shaped a little better to my fingers and I am able to sew better with them.
        I have also used the adhesive "thimble" pads. They are clear ovals of something like a sticky backed template plastic. They worked OK, but were a little slippery when pushing the needle. I have see some that look like dimpled metal dots that appear to be attached with adhesive. I think the metal dots would give much better protection from the needle when shoving it through all those layers.

Good 'thimble' hunting!
        Be who you are and say what you feel
        because those who mind don't matter,
        and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss

http://www.toggpine.wordpress.com

Comment

Hi Lynnette, There also leather thimbles that I use. I found them to work better than the metal ones. I also have long nails and they have a space in the top to let you nail slip through and still protect your finger. I'll have to try the others. Thanks ladies for the info.
          Hugs, Jan L
          Home, where each lives for the others and all live for God! ><(((((o>

Comment

I like the leather thimbles too. I tried the little sticky pads and didn't like them. In a pinch I use adhesive tape on my fingers. i keep a roll in my sewing box in case i misplace my leather thimble. I use it when I smock too.
            “What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world, is and remains immortal.”

― Albert Pine

Comment

Leather thimbles are the only ones I've tried other than the metal. The metal don't work for me but I had great success with the leather ones. From what others are saying it sounds like there are newer products on the market that might work as well. I haven't done any hand quilting in quite some time, but if I do I might give some of the others a try. From my experience, the only problem with the leather is the top of the needle eventually ends up pushing through the leather. If you're using one on a really large quilt expect to replace it one or even two times. Can get expensive replacing them.
              Goodbye Europe! Hello California! Home sweet home.

Comment

Here is a thimble most anyone would be happy to use:
                http://www.ladyfingerssewing.com/sho...productId=1398
                Ruth Ann in MA

Comment

Originally posted by craftyrad View Post
                  Here is a thimble most anyone would be happy to use:
                  http://www.ladyfingerssewing.com/sho...productId=1398
                  Making my mouth water isn't allowed this early in the day. Cute!!!
                  Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
                  it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Comment

Many many TX - even with sore fingers I love the relaxation of hand quilting.

Comment

Oh my what well they think of next????

Jan G
                      Jan G :icon_wave:

THE HURRIER I GO,
                      THE BEHINDER I GET!!!!
                      :lol:

Comment

I am like the others here that use the leather thimbles. I tried the metal and silicone and don't like either. To me the only way to go is the leather.
                        Suzette

Comment

Working...
                        X