Stabilizer for quilting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stabilizer for quilting?

I hope I'm not sounding too off the wall here . . . I have a stash of gingham checks - several colors and sizes - and I want to use this on Zoe's quilt top (I'll be doing something similar to Dot to Dot). The fabric is thinner than what I would like. Would it be okay for me to use a light-weight iron-on stabilizer or would it be better to sandwich the fabrics with a backing of muslin.

Anyone have any suggestions? I'm planning to satin-stitch around the circles on my embroidery machine.
    Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
    it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Re: Stabilizer for quilting?

Sandy if you plan to satin stitch the circles then the stabiliser would be a bonus and serve two purposes at once. There are stabilisers that are suitable to leave in quilts both woven and non woven types, see what you can find in your area. The iron on is a good choice, it does a better job of stabilising the fabric weave and is certainly a better choice for reducing the fabric pull/shrinkage from the satin stitch.

Have fun.
    Lynn

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain" Anonymous.

Comment

Hi Sandy
      Ditto what Lynn said. Can't wait to see what you come up with.
      Sewing mends the soul.
      sigpic

Do the math; count your blessings
      Laughing is good exercise. It's like jogging on the inside.

http://pinterest.com/vintageprims/boards/ Unless we are creating we are not fully alive
      ~ Madeleine L'Engle

Comment

I've seen a lot of people use a fine iron-on stabiliser when using silks to make quilts because it stops them fraying so much. It seemed to make it much easier so I suppose it would be the same with your Ginghams. Good luck x
        Quilting through the dull times
        northstarquilting.blogspot.com

Comment

I'm for the iron-on stabilizer too.
          I suppose you could foundation piece to muslin, but your pattern really doesn't sound like it will lend itself to that.
          Be who you are and say what you feel
          because those who mind don't matter,
          and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss

http://www.toggpine.wordpress.com

Comment

Thanks for all the suggestions and help. I visited JoAnns yesterday and found a 100% cotton, woven, iron-on stabilizer that is machine washable and I think it will work great (it had better - I bought a WHOLE bolt of it . . . ) and will try it out this morning. Anxious. My only concern is that it may seem 'plastic' once it's washed several times, but from the description on the package I don't think it will.

Comment

Sandy, I don't think it will keep the plastic feel. I have used these types of iron on for years on sweatshirts, appliques, etc. Launders pretty durn well.
              Thinking of you fondly, dear girl.
              Sewing mends the soul.
              sigpic

Do the math; count your blessings
              Laughing is good exercise. It's like jogging on the inside.

http://pinterest.com/vintageprims/boards/ Unless we are creating we are not fully alive
              ~ Madeleine L'Engle

Comment

Wow, a whole bolt, how many yards is that? You are obviously planning on being one very busy chooky...have fun.
                Lynn

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain" Anonymous.

Comment

Originally posted by Dragonfly View Post
                  Wow, a whole bolt, how many yards is that? You are obviously planning on being one very busy chooky...have fun.
                  Lynn, I always go overboard - I figured if I liked it I would use it - besides the line for the cutting table was long and the price on the whole bolt as cheaper than the one they had that had been opened and cut - and I had a 40% off coupon . . . I'll use it someplace though as I do machine embroidery also and this will come in handy there. I usually buy my stabilizer in 100 YARD rolls . . . this was only 15 yards on the bolt. All the stabilizers I have for embroidery work and none if it was suitable.
                  Last edited by Sandy Navas; February 6, 2011, 05:53 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

Working...
                  X