Going Granny or Square?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Going Granny or Square?

Anyone out there who ties off quilts? Do you know the difference between Granny knots and Square knots? Which do you use? My 'gut instinct' tells me that for quilting you should use a Granny knot (just because of the name, nothing else) - but if you know the difference, a Square knot would be the best choice. The Square knot is more difficult to untie while a Granny knot can easily be untied. So, when tying off a quilt use a Square knot. I find it is easier to tie anyway - although they are so similar.

An interesting tidbit I discovered, too, was that if you have difficulty with your shoelaces (anyone on here remember what those are? . . . what with Velcro, elastic, sandals, slip-ons, and even painted feet), if you reverse the way you tie your shoes they won't come untied all day. Use the Square knot and not a Granny like Momma taught us. Remember chasing that little loopy-eared rabbit around the tree and into the hole? Make him run around the opposite direction.

Enough imparting wisdom for the day. I'm off to tie my shoes.
    Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
    it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Re: Going Granny or Square?

Hi, Sandy,

I was a Girl Scout so I know what a square knot is, but you lost me on the tying your shoes suggestion. We always tell walkers to tie another knot with the loops to keep the laces from coming open. That usually works for me.

Do you tie your quilts with yarn or something else?

Pat

Comment

Originally posted by newbiequilter View Post
      Hi, Sandy,

I was a Girl Scout so I know what a square knot is, but you lost me on the tying your shoes suggestion. We always tell walkers to tie another knot with the loops to keep the laces from coming open. That usually works for me.

Do you tie your quilts with yarn or something else?

Pat
      Pat I use a heavy thread - like a #10 crochet thread - sometimes a decorative yarn but it just depends on what I have on hand and that works with what I'm tying. Because this lap quilt I made was fairly small and wouldn't see a lot of wear and tear I used a variegated heavy thread. I would go for something more substantial if it were a quilt that I knew would get a lot of use. I only tied this one because I was in a great big hurry to get it done (and then procrastinated on it and I will be a month late getting it to the intended party). If you've noticed some of my posts, my DH recently presented me with my own quilting frame so future quilts will be either hand quilted (with love) or - in the case of the one I'm working on now - machine quilt-as-you-go. I also have a crazy quilt in the works that is a mock-paper-pieced quilt. It's just whatever strikes my fancy at the time.

I know, I used to always tie a double knot in the kids shoe laces but I ran across this website last night and got tickled that its made it's way to the internet: http://www.shoeknots.com/

Comment

i usually use embroidery floss and a surgeons knot. My DD used crochet thread in the last quilt she made. i liked the way it looked.
        “What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world, is and remains immortal.”

― Albert Pine

Comment

Originally posted by bakermom View Post
          i usually use embroidery floss and a surgeons knot. My DD used crochet thread in the last quilt she made. i liked the way it looked.
          Okay - share the surgeon's knot. Don't make me have to GOOGLE . . .

Comment

Start out like you're going to do a square knot(which is what I used to use) but wrap the thread twice each time. makes a vey tight knot that does not come undone, esp. if you want it to.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PeaIyAyg_cs
            “What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world, is and remains immortal.”

― Albert Pine

Comment

Working...
            X