How to match whites to patterns - Moda

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to match whites to patterns - Moda

Hi everyone! I am a VERY new quilter, and just discovered this forum! I am getting ready to order the Moda Simply Color Layer Cake to make my first full size quilt. (I have only quilted small projects before).

What I don't understand is how to pick the white Layer Cake squares that coordinate with Simply Color. I have found at least 3 Moda white layer cakes --

Snow
    Porcelain
    White

-- and I'm sure there are other Moda whites available by the yard!

How am I supposed to know which shade of white matches the white in the Simply Color patterns?? THANK YOU so much for any tips or secrets you can clue me in on!

- Susan
    ---Susan---

"When life gives you scraps - make a quilt!"

Re: How to match whites to patterns - Moda

image.jpg from right to left--Snow is a creamy yellow white, porcelain is a grey white, Bella white is a dull white, and Kona by Robert Kaufman white is a bright white. I would say the Bella is the most likely to match or the Kona by Robert Kaufman, rather than either of the others.
    Last edited by Jean Sewing Machine; May 11, 2013, 09:03 AM.

Comment

Who would think there are so many shades of white! I agree with Jean (above) that the Bella White would look best with your fabrics. Barb
      sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

Thank you so much! I really appreciate the help! Time to place my order!
        ---Susan---

Comment

I have the Simply Color charm pack and also the Moda White and Snow jellyrolls. I would definitely use the White with this palette. It looks clean and brings forth the light background in most of the prints. The color snow next to this line appears dirty and dull.

Comment

Thank you Sharyn! I definitely don't want to go with an off-white or duller white with the beautiful clean whites in the Simply Color!!
            ---Susan---

Comment

Well, of course the white is out of stock! LOL That's ok, I will see if I can find it in my local shop. They don't have the charm pack but they may have a bolt.
              ---Susan---

Comment

My quest to find all those jelly rolls ( not all available at MSQC!) was to find out just how these colors actually matched up to fabrics I want to pair them with. Bella has a darker cream called wheat, i'd call it ecru. Just be careful if you are using jelly roll strips and either layer cakes or charms to match, they need to be the same fabric line.

Comment

It seems like it would make sense for the fabric lines to tell you which of their solids match up with their print lines. Being that I'm so new to quilting is does get confusing, there are so many choices to sort through!
                  ---Susan---

Comment

I was at Hancocks of Paducah recently looking for a white to go with a charm pack and it is amazing to me how many shades of white there are. I ended up getting a fabric that said PFD on the bolt. When the lady cut my yardage I asked what that meant and she explained it was prepared for dying. It was just the perfect color not quite pure white

Comment

This is the most useful entry I have seen to compare whites and near-whites. Thank you Jean!! I can't believe that both Kaufman and Moda wouldn't have this type of picture comparison of their 'whites'/neutrals posted somewhere online in large print, easily accessible, to help those of us who cannot buy fabrics in person [or someone who sells both...!]. This would enable us to visually compare their fabrics (Even when I can get there in person, the rare local quilt shop rarely has all of their neutrals in stock at the same time to enable such a visual comparison). I can't afford to pay >$20 for each company's swatch card, just to help me decide which of their fabrics to spend my money on. These colour swatch cards should be online on their websites, in LARGE print (rather than tiny Pinterest photos I can't read!). Although I must admit, MSQC are VERY helpful when I email them, asking which solids match certain layer cake or jelly roll collection I have my eye on... Thanks MSQC!!

Comment

Jean is the best! ......and I agree with MSQC being so helpful when matching solids when you are ordering from them - I have heard other members mention that many times and they are always happy with the choice made.
                        ~Kathy~

Comment

Here is a link that shows various solids that match up to the Simply Color line.

http://www.unitednotions.com/fcc_simply_color.pdf

Looks like you want Bella Off White 9900-200.
                          Last edited by laf512; May 29, 2013, 06:28 AM.
                          Lori

Comment

Originally posted by slamb13 View Post
                            It seems like it would make sense for the fabric lines to tell you which of their solids match up with their print lines. Being that I'm so new to quilting is does get confusing, there are so many choices to sort through!
                            I thought I was the only one. I, too, have wished that fabric collections would recommend solids that would compliment the collection of precuts. I have called a couple of times to M* to get a recommendation for a solid coordinate but the fabrics and the person who answered my calls were not in the same location and were not able to help me. When I complete my main quilt top, I like a small 1.5" or 2.5" border in a solid fabric that pops and functions like the matte of a framed picture. I kiss a lot of frogs when I order these solids on-line because the colors on my monitor do not always look that color when they arrive. After this small border is sewn on, Then I come back with a 3.5-6.5 inch border in a fabric from the precut collection to finish the quilt. I almost always have a double border like this in my quilts. I just like it . . . .
                            --Only God can make the perfect quilt, all others he left for me.

Comment

Working...
                            X