need some advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

need some advice

I am planning on making a rag quilt for my sister in law who is expecting a baby boy April 19 due to the time of the year do you think i should use batting? We live in ohio so it can still be chilly in mid and late April if you think i should what kind? This is my first quilt so any answers would be great Thanks!

Re: need some advice

I would use a light-weight batting for sure - or, as I have often done for baby blankets, use Minkee (spelling?) or similar fleece type fabric as the backing.
    Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
    it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Comment

Louise, you can also use fleece/flannel for all three layers instead of batting, then you don't have to worry about bits of batting poking out of the seams. I also like Sandy's idea of using Minkee on the back, it is so soft and cuddly.
      Lynn

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain" Anonymous.

Comment

I have done rag quilts with just two layers of flannel for summer babies. batting makes for a very warm rag quilt, though it would be a lot "cushier" for baby to lay on. i have also done pieced flannel with minkie for the back. some with batting ,some without. babies seem to enjoy the softness of minkie. i then take my scraps and make a tag blanket for baby to snuggle.
        “What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world, is and remains immortal.”

― Albert Pine

Comment

Bakermom,

What is a tag quilt?

Pat

Comment

it's a small square about 12-14", minkie on one side, satin or flannel on the other. You sew different widths/textures of folded ribbons spaced out along each edge. babies like to feel the different textures. i thinnk the name band is "taggie".
            you know how some babies like the feel of satiny blanket binding? this gives them something small to carry and comfort themselves.
            my gd liked to rub the blanket on her cheek to put herself to sleep but always ended up covering her head up. That worried her mama so grandma to the rescue with a tiny silkie square.
            “What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world, is and remains immortal.”

― Albert Pine

Comment

Aw, the tag blanket sounds adorable... and here I would have thought it was just a typo :-).
              There's still time to change the road you're on - Led Zeppelin, "Stairway to Heaven"

Comment

Working...
              X