Expert advice needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Expert advice needed

Good afternoon all. I claimed this quilt top when no one wanted it. I liked the retro look. The top is 5 patches x 6 patches if you know what I mean. I have enough patches to add another row. My prolem will be I will not have enough of the lime green to finish. I do have fabric that is close in color. I don't live near a fabric store so my question is what should I do? Wait and try to get fabric the same color, make wide borders? What to do, what to do????????

Any advice, suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks a million!!
    Monique
    Attached Files
    Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Re: Expert advice needed

Monique, what a find! I'm as green as the quilt top <g>.

I think I would add borders if needed, rather than add an almost-matching fabric.

I'm assuming it's all hand stitched - what are you planning regarding quilting it?

Congrats on acquiring such a treasure.

Deb
    There's still time to change the road you're on - Led Zeppelin, "Stairway to Heaven"

Comment

That is so pretty. I agree with Deb, add borders that co-ordinate.
      You might find a green that's very close, but over time it might fade or wear differently than the original fabric.
      “What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world, is and remains immortal.”

― Albert Pine

Comment

scrappy scrappy all the way around several times to tone down the limeyness and whites also will bring out the hexagon flowers ..... LUCKY YOU!!!
        Two of my favorite things, to encourage and to be encouraged
        hugs, Suzi
        http://suzi.mypremierdesigns.com/
        it's what i do when i'm not here sewing with you

GOD Bless America

Comment

I don't know - but that's a pretty top!

Hugs,
          http://www.flickr.com/photos/quiltsbytrish
          http://quiltdreaming.blogspot.com
          http://pinterest.com/TrishLapp

What if you woke up today and the only things you had were the things you thanked God for yesterday? :icon_hug:quilting trish

Comment

I agree, I wouldn't add just one row using a different fabric, in a few years you may regret it. Add a wide border so the different fabric frames the rest, maybe wide enough to use those extra blocks in the corners so you can at least get four more of them into the quilt.

It's very lovely... NOT my colour...but lovely all the same.
            Lynn

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain" Anonymous.

Comment

My friend Dawn would love this as green is her favorite color. I would go with a different fabric with colors that are in the quilt. Nice job. Hugs, Jan L
              Home, where each lives for the others and all live for God! ><(((((o>

Comment

Yes the top was all hand stitched. I like the idea of borders with maybe some of the blocks in it. I hadn't thought of that. I new you were all smart quilters!! I will hand quilt, any suggestions how?

Thanks everyone for your help. I am so glad I joined this group. You are all an inspiration to me.

Monique

Comment

I have finally figured out how to add four blocks and square them up for the border. I took a picture of it so I would know how many to use to square them up. Now I just need to find fabric for the border. Thanks for the great idea.

Monique

Comment

Working...
                  X