It just doesn't add up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It just doesn't add up

Hi all, I am once again totally confused. It seems like I have everything exactly right but it just doesn't fit. I am not sure how to explain it. I hope the picture comes through to help. I have sewn together the 4 blocks, each was 4 inches wide, sewn together with an accurate 1/4 in seam( I measured afterwards to make sure). The larger panel is 8 inches wide. They are supposed to go together end to end.I know that it doesn't add up but those are the instructions. I am a 1/4 inch too short and can't figuire out what I am supposed to do next. I could probably figuire it out myself but I after 2 days of everything going so well I want to scream.

Thanks,
    Cheri
    Attached Files

Re: It just doesn't add up

Your 4" blocks would need to be 4 1/4 to equal an 8" block. Is this a purchased pattern you're following? It could be a misprint. anyway you can call the manufacturer and see if there is a correction ?
    Last edited by bakermom; January 24, 2011, 06:52 PM.
    “What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world, is and remains immortal.”

― Albert Pine

Comment

It was in a McCall's Quick quilts magazine. What do ya think?? Cut a 1/4 inch off the the 8 inch block and go from there??

Comment

Cheri-----I often forget about seam allowances. You have choices here---change the pattern and end up a little smaller, or recut the blocks 1/4 inch larger. If you have a lot of blocks cut---just trim off the larger block and if you need to, you could add larger borders, or more blocks, or sashing..........you are the artist, do what works!
        SuzyQue

Comment

Originally posted by SuzyQue View Post
          ..........you are the artist, do what works!
          SuzyQue
          Terrific advice!
          There's still time to change the road you're on - Led Zeppelin, "Stairway to Heaven"

Comment

If it were me , I would trim down the 8 inch block. I square them up so they match anyways so it really wouldn't be adding that much work to the project. Do what you feel comfortable with. Like others have said-it's your project. if you're happy that's all that matters.
            “What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world, is and remains immortal.”

― Albert Pine

Comment

Actually, your 4" square blocks need to be 4.5" square to end up with a 4" block after you have sewn 1/4" seam allowances on all 4 sides.

Remember that you loose 1/4" inch from each piece of fabric when you seam them together. I always mess that up.

If you want to trim the blocks down, and keep the design even, try to trim matching amounts from both sides. this will also help "square-up" your block.

It looks like you may be trying to match up a pieced block with a solid piece of fabric. (The photo is upside down and I can't get it to enlarge for me.) That may also explain your size difference. This is going to sound like a word problem from middle school, but here it goes.
              Four 4.5" blocks = a 9"square unsewn. Sewn together with 1/4" seam allowances they now = a 8.5" square.
              If you have an 8" solid block you want to match it to, you are going to have an extra 1/4" seam allowance on all sides of your pieced block. If it is just squares, no problem. Trim off the extra, match up the edges, and go. You will end up with a 7.5" block once all of the edges have been sewn with a 1/4" seam. No one will know but you, and probably won't care.
              If you have a pattern with points, like pinwheels or the like, you can't really trim that off. The 1/4" edge, that doesn't look so important, is a necessary buffer to keep the seam allowance from eating your pointy points. I learned this the hard way. If this is the case, then I'd re-cut the solid squares, or add a 1" border on all sides to them to get the solid squares up to the 8.5" size of your pieced block. (See statement #2 above for why it's an inch border. Honestly I always screw that part up, which is why I don't do many log cabin blocks!)
              Good luck!
              Be who you are and say what you feel
              because those who mind don't matter,
              and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss

http://www.toggpine.wordpress.com

Comment

Toggpine---thanks for clearing up my mistake---it was late and I was thinking 1/2 inch, but then after I typed it in, I thought ....no.....and put in 1/4 inch. Now you know for sure I mess up seam allowances!!! Can you tell I do a lot of creative re-cutting and my own designs! You made it so clear! Thanks! SuzyQue

Comment

Suzy,
                  You were on your way there. You just needed to add the 1/4" to all sides!
                  Trust me when I say that I have to sit and figure this out almost every time. It seems to get me when I have to add a border to a block that I need to be just a little bit bigger for some project or another. I won't tell you how many times I have had to pull that strip off and cut one that little bit bigger.
                  I am glad that you understood the instructions. I was afraid they were about as clear as mud!

Comment

Thanks for the advice. I actually do alot of creative cutting myself but for some reason I could not wrap my mind around it. I have decided to just cut The 8 inch blocks to fit. I already have the other smaller pieces blocked already so I think this will be the simplest solution.

Toggpine, you are way too smart for me!!! LOL

Cheri

Comment

Thanks Cheri!
                      If I was "smart" I wouldn't have to think so hard about how to add that "extra bit" when I need it.

Let's be nice and call it "experience"!

I guess it's all about how it looks when you are done, and not what it was "supposed" to look like!
                      Good Luck!
                      Cathy

Comment

I always figure I'll have to trim all the blocks anyways and since my quilts aren't destined for the shows, its not a big deal. As long as the blocks are the same size....

But my son just saw your material and wants some. Do you know the manufacturer/pattern name/where you got it? Anything would help for my hunt.
                        Best regards!
                        Ranger Anna
                        www.i-ranger.blogspot.com

Comment

I actually bought 4 inch precuts off of ebay. I'm sure she has more. Just do an ebay search for trainfabric. I know this isn't specific info but I hope it helps. Make sure you post a picture when you are done. I would love to see what you do with your trains.

Cheri

Comment

Cheri,
                            after I finish this weekend's project I'll start on my son's hobo quilt. I'll be using Debra G. Henninger's book. At the moment, I'm planning on using "old man shirt" type fabrics. But I'm alwyas making him something train-y or making a thank you gift for folks who help him with the model trains. Thanks for the info and good luck squaring up those blocks!
                            Best regards!
                            Ranger Anna
                            www.i-ranger.blogspot.com

Comment

Working...
                            X